HAF 912 Fan Setup

Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I have a question on what fan setup I should use on the HAF 912. I also need help on what fans I should get for the setup.

HAF 912 Fan System:

Front: 120mm x 2 or 200mm x 1

Top: 120mm x 2 or 200mm x 1

Rear: 120mm x 1

Side: 120/140mm x 1

As for my fans, I want them to move a reasonable amount of air, but still be quiet for the most part. I really do not want to spend more than $30-40 on these fans.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I personally have a haf 912 3x Yate Loon Medium fans, 2 front intake, 1 back exhaust.

Gotta get a fan controller or use the PWM on your mobo, otherwise they are a bit loud.

For 15 bucks they are alot better than the stock fans. Lowered my GPU temps (6870) by around 8c over stock.

What type of hardware are you looking to put in there?

912 comes with a 120mm fan at front for intake and another 120mm fan at back for exhaust.i would suggest adding a 200mm megaflow on top-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103073
this will provide plenty of ventilation and fairly quiet setup.

Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
My specs:

i5 3570k

ASRock Z77 Extreme 4

Crucial M4 128GB

SeaSonic 620W Semi Modular

No GPU for now as I am broke, and will be using Intel 4000. I will be getting the GPU in a month or so.

Yate Loons have good reviews from what I have seen, and they are about $4 a piece. If I was to get 5 of them it would be around $25 with shipping which isn't bad.

Isn't it always recommended to go with the larger fan size for less noise? That is something I am tryin to avoid. I don't want a Boeing in my room.

yes,if you want high cfm silent fan then go with a single 200mm fan on top of your 912,it's more than enough.
remember,more fans don't mean better performance.a 912 with 120mm front intake,200mm top exhaust and 120mm exhaust on back is most probably the best you can do with your case.
good luck with your decision ;)

Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Yeah others have said to just get a 200mm fan for the top. Should I get one for the front as well?

And can you recommend me some 200mm fans? There don't seem to be a lot where I look.

1 megaflow 200mm intake

That's about it, you can take the front fan and put it as a top exhaust. There is no need for any side fans because you don't have a GPU. The top fan will help to OC the HD 4000!

Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
No lol, I don't plan on ocing the 4000.

I will get a side fan just so I will have one when I do get my GPU.

So I should still buy the Megaflow for the top, and the rest 120mm?

I think 4 Yate Loons would be pretty loud but they move a good amount of air.

Are they worth getting? I don't want it to be very loud by I can handle some noise.

Depends on which ones you get, if you get medium or high and run them at max 24/7 then yes its gonna be fairly loud.

I am using 3 x mediums on lowest settings, the loudest thing in my case is my 212 EVOs fan which I have set at 700RPMs.

As for the temp change when I switched out my stock 912 fans (plus the additional 120mm I had in front) the temps dropped around 5-8c all around on low settings, max load.

I can't speak for how good 200mm are or aren't because I have never used them. But 1 200mm is the same price as 4 yate loons.

Might wanna grab either a fan controller or see if your motherboard has 5 fan slots (mine doesn't)

Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Ok ski found some YL's for a good price. Four of them for $17 plus 8 for shipping so it would be $25. The fans would go two in front, one on side, and one on rear.

For the top I would get the Megaflow 200mm.

For the setup:

Front is intake

Top is exhaust

Rear is exhaust

Side is intake

Is that setup good or should side be exhaust?

Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Ok thanks for the help guys. I just realists that the fans come OEM. Are there any other sites you guys can give me, or possibly what screws I need?

And I wanted to ask this the first post but I forgot, but can I even have 4 Yate Loons and 1 Megaflow in my system? Do I need to buy any additional cables? I am using the ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

Yup. 4 yate loons will fit. And do you have the bag of screws that came with your case? I think all the needed screws are in there. I know the extra set of front screws are since you actually need those.

2 in front, 1 on side 1 in back and the megaflow on top. and hmmm you "Might" need an extender as the included cables are kind of short. They fit for me though so I doubt it will be a problem (I had to route them behind my mobo to about where the cpu cut out is and they made that distance fine from the back of the case. if that helps at all)

Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hehe funny thing is I actually don't have the case just yet. I am buying all my parts on Saturday, so I wanted to plan before I got it. I will check the reviews of the case to see if they are.

Would you recommend rubber screws if the screws aren't there?

And if you can give me a link for the adapter that would be great.

The loons are 3 pin RPM and 4 pin molex.

The Mega is Also 3 pin.

Rubber screws? I've never used those, D'you mean these
9m7fm.jpg

You will need atleast 1 proper sized metal fan screw so you can thread it as I doubt rubber screws will work for that. other then that I see no problem with it.

The extender is a just in case it doesn't reach sorta thing: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-27392-3-pin-Extension/dp/B0002344PM/

Hmmm. But sadly to control 3pin fans you need a fan controller (or to do the 7v mod on a molex if you are handy with stuff like that) This is the cheapest I would go (even though I personally am using a 5 dollar fan controller its not ideal it only has 2 speed settings, 100% and 10% -.-") http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995016

With the fan controller you wont need extensions since the included cables are long enough

Sadly this is getting expensive :/

Edit: hmmm, the case comes with 2 fans already (1 intake and 1 exhaust) Are you planning to overclock at all? I'm thinking maybe you should see how the stock cooling performs and if its lacking then upgrade it then. or atleast hold off on the megaflows since its 20 bucks :/ ... maybe I'm just being cheap but eh, its who I am :)

Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
If you honestly think I should wait I will. I mean usually the included fans that come are silent, but don't move air. Would those two fans suffice?

And as for this getting expensive, yes it is. I thought this fan business would be quick but so far I have spend more time reviewing these fans than any other component lol.

So if I got the controller no extensions needed?

Maybe I should just get the controller to avoid all the extension business.

For the type of controller though, I thought I read that if you have the same fans you only need a controller supporting 2, one of the YL, one for the Megaflow.

But would I even need an extra for the Megaflow? Or are we just talking about the YL?

And yes, I will be ocing.

Another thing I am worried about is how many watts the controller will take. I bought a 620W PSU already and hope I still have some left over. I have yet to buy a 7850 which will take up some watts too.

Nah, 1 fan controller is all you need for any fans, you could hook up an 80mm, 120mm, 140mm, 200mm, 220mm all at the same time, no difference its all the same voltages.

As for the power problems, 620w will do you fine. I am using a 500w Antec 500D green, PSU for my current setup (athlon 2 x3 + 6870 + 3hdds + fan controller, etc)

and the 6870 uses a bit more power than a 7870 (around 20w)

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/10

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7850-and-7870-review/7

I would be surprised if your fans used up more then 20w in total.

What 7870 did you get btw.

o_O yeah but... 4 times the price at half the space. I'm not knocking it, it just seems really expensive to me to buy a 20 dollar fan.

Thats just me though :)

Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Yes I am still getting a 200mm but am still thinking of getting two, one in front and one on top. I will have it on top for sure but I am wondering of getting it on the front.

Would two YL just be better on front in terms of noise level and CFM ratio?

Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Cool, cool. As for now I will only have one 2.5 SSD.

As for the fan controller I listed, does it seem nice? The reviews are good and the mesh would match the HAF 912.

I just want to make sure all of this stuff would be compatible. All my fans are 3-pin so I would just connect them with the included extended cables in the fan controller and plug them in?

I also do not understand the 30W stuff. If each fan I have is on max, the fans alone would use 150W? If I turned the fans all the way down though, it still wouldn't waste that many watts, right?

Sorry being a noob.