Sign in with
Your question

PC Instability after SLI

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2012 1:13:34 PM

Hey all,

I've recently brought a new SLI-capable motherboard (Asus M5A99X EVO, Socket AM3+) and a second GTX 460 1GB to run in SLI.

Since the upgrade however, I have been experiencing instability during games and watching movies, where they would lag. Loading times on games such as BF3 have increased dramatically.

However this lag was not present when watching movies and playing games before the upgrade. Even when I disable SLI in the Nvidia control panel this lag still occurs.

When I got the new components I reinstalled windows. I have the latest Nvidia driver update and latest BIOS update also. The temperature of all components are always below 50 degrees Celsius.

If you can take a look at my spec below, I would be very grateful if someone could tell what they think would be causing these slowdowns:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz C3 Black Edition
MB: Asus M5A99X EVO, Socket AM3+
GPU: Palit GTX 460 1GB Sonic Platinum AND EVGA GTX 460 1GB SC
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 G.skill Ripjaws 1600MHz
PSU: OCZ Modxstream Pro 600W
HDD: Western Digital Cavier Green 1TB 5400RPM 64MB Cache

It looks to me as the PSU is maybe not strong enough to run 2 460's. Or the Hard Drive just has very poor Read/Write Speeds.

Thank You for any contributions.

More about : instability sli

a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2012 1:56:48 PM

BF3 has has issues in both SLI and CF ..... normally these get eliminated after a few driver fixes but BF3 has been a bit stubborn in this regard. My son's SLI box, for example plays just fine on ultra in single player mode but in multiplayer mode he has to drop settings to high...... with past drivers, he had to turn off SLI or it wouldn't play either way.
February 13, 2012 2:03:51 PM

As per own OCZ Modxstream Pro 600W label ratings, this PSU is more like a 500w regarding 12v rails amperage.
Your CPU should use like 100w~125w, leaving only 375w~400w to BOTH vga cards.

Basically you have a nice chance of burning your PSU together with some components, it could never happen, but the chances are good in long term.
!