• New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2012 1:23:18 PM

Hello Everyone,

Just completed my first build, here are my specs:
- Core I5-2500k
- GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard
- 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - (Total 16gb)
- XFX AMD Radeon 6870 1gb
- Antec Earthwatts ea650 PSU
- Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB HDD
- Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD
- Antec 1200 Case

So here is the potential issue I noticed. My motherboard requires an 8pin (2x4pin) ATX12v Power Connector for the CPU. My PSU has two options, an 8pin connector that says EPS12v or 1x4pin ATX12v Power Connector. I tried connecting the 8pin connection and all of the fans turn on, dvd drive, and led lights, but no boot. I have not tried inserting the 4pin ATX12v connection yet because I have read mixed suggestions. Some people say to plug it into the 4 closer to the computer, and others said plugging a 4 pin into an 8pin can cause the connectors to melt.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and help.

Best,
John

More about : boot beeping noises psu issue

February 13, 2012 1:34:12 PM

Is the other power connector plugged in properly?
m
l
February 13, 2012 1:37:19 PM

The 20+4pin main connector? If that is what you mean, then yep that is plugged in correctly. Thank you for such a quick response!
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2012 3:57:38 PM

Any message on display? Just completely black?

m
l
February 13, 2012 3:58:13 PM

the easiest thing to forget is the two power connectors on your 6870.
m
l
February 13, 2012 4:18:22 PM

Completely black...I connected both power connectors to the 6870. Additionally, I tried plugging the monitor into the Motherboard's VGA slot, still nothing.
m
l
February 13, 2012 4:34:12 PM

IMHO, 8 or 4 pin won't make a difference in the CPU power plug as long as something is plugged in there - unless your MB manual says that you must have an 8-pin plug in there.

What I would try first is to make sure everything is properly seated in its respective sockets, CPU, Memory, all cables, graphics card, etc. Remove them one-by-one and re-seat them. Also, ensure that any auxiliary power connectors on the 6870 are connected properly, then try again.

If this does not work, then about the only thing that is left is to replace or eliminate each component individually. The first thing to do in this case is to remove the drives. The system should still POST without drives, and if it does, this will indicate that the drives are not connected properly or somehow the source of the problem.

The i5-2500k has built-in graphics. I am not familiar with the motherboard, however, one thing that you might try is removing the 6870 and connect your monitor to the MB graphics connector - if that works, then you have the source of your problem.

The other components are more difficult to test, and I am at a loss to suggest an easy way of testing them. Essentially, you have to buy a duplicate, or borrow a friend's.
m
l
February 13, 2012 5:07:13 PM

Thank you wiyosaya. I will try the 4-pin when I get home from work later this evening. Are you able to confirm when plugging the 4-pin into the 8-pin the 4-pin goes into the 4-pins closer the processor? This is a suggestion I have read on a few posts. Sorry if that sounded a bit confusing!

Best,
John

m
l
February 13, 2012 6:03:41 PM

tigz1218 said:
Thank you wiyosaya. I will try the 4-pin when I get home from work later this evening. Are you able to confirm when plugging the 4-pin into the 8-pin the 4-pin goes into the 4-pins closer the processor? This is a suggestion I have read on a few posts. Sorry if that sounded a bit confusing!

Best,
John

Hi John,

Your motherboard is a Gigabyte motherboard, and the manual is located here. Do you agree??

On page 24 of the manual, the CPU power connector is described. From the way that I read the diagram and descriptions of the pins - when using a single 4-pin connector, the 4-pin connector should go in the part of the connector where the pins are labelled 4 & 8. The manual is always the definitive source for any electronic component, and I suggest using it as a first stop. If any question on the proper set of pins for the connector remains in your mind, I suggest e-mailing Gigabyte support as they will give you a definitive answer. From my experience, it is difficult to screw things up, however, if you do, it is ultimately your responsibility.

My apologies if this sound harsh, however, the reality is that a forum member is not there with you to actually see and work on your setup, and that makes it difficult for forum members to offer advice as to what to do when a build does not work.
m
l
February 13, 2012 7:01:33 PM

Hi wiyosaya,

I tried opening the link but it won't work on my work PC, I will check it out when I get home. However, that is indeed my motherboard, and I read through the manual so many times, if I missed this I am going to feel like a big noob. No worries, I don't think that sounds harsh, I know what you mean.

Thank so much for your help, I greatly appreciate it. Let you know what happens later, hoping for the best!

John
m
l
February 13, 2012 7:20:42 PM

Now I remember what happened to my build when I turned it on first time, although not exactly.

I'm not sure exactly what it was like, but anyway, it failed to boot, whether the LED's light up or not. I found that the power switch connector (or HDD or one of those connectors from case) was inserted wrong way on the motherboard side. I checked the manual several times and compare the picture to my actual connection, which was hard because of very bad resolution. Anyhow, I figured out the polarity was not right, and changed it, and now the PC was successfully booted. Yours may be a different problem, but like wiyosaya pointed out, referring to the instruction manual is worth trying. Good luck.
m
l
February 14, 2012 1:03:31 AM

One thing that I recall happened to me once is that I somehow had the reset pin grounded. Everything comes on in that case, however, since it is held in the reset state, it will not boot. Perhaps the reset pins on the MB are somehow misconnected?
m
l
February 15, 2012 12:06:05 PM

Okay so here is my update everyone. Good news and bad news.

I finally got the computer to boot, I had to unplug the video card power connectors and it started right up. Installed windows, motherboard drivers, etc. After windows did its thing and installed everything I plugged in the power connectors to the video card and then the issue happens again. The computer wont even post to the bios screen, all it does is turn on the dvd rom rive, lights, and fans. If I remove power connectors, the computer boots right up again.

I am trying to narrow it down, so I will have a friend plug in the video card to his pc today to see if a faulty video card is to blame. Other than that the only other issues I can think of are something related to the PSU (which should be more than enough at 650watts) or a faulty SLI slot. Note, I plugged the video card into the top PCIEx16 slot which runs at 16x. They recommended plugging into this one when you have just one video card as the other x16 slots runs at 8x.
m
l
February 15, 2012 3:30:59 PM

Sounds like good progress. I'm hedging my bets that it is the video card as Antec has a good reputation.
m
l
February 15, 2012 4:49:45 PM

Just as a precaution:

1. When you boot using onboard graphics, check the BIOS - IGP setting, whether IGP is primary or PCI.

2. When you use the graphics card, did you connect the monitor to the card, or motherboard? I saw some people hooked up monitor to motherboard, while IGP was disabled by powering on PCI-E card.
m
l
February 15, 2012 5:41:41 PM

Good points MKBL. However, I did set it PCI-E as primary and I did remove the VGA from the motherboard. One last thing I thought of is the HDMI wire I was plugging into the video card might have been DOA, it was one of my old spare ones. I bought a new DVI cable at Worst Buy because I am too impatient to order online haha. Soon as I get home from work I should have a few more updates to my testing.

Thanks again to everyone who has been helping. Will definitely let everyone know what the culprit was so future users can learn from it.
m
l
February 16, 2012 12:22:37 AM

wiyosaya said:
Sounds like good progress. I'm hedging my bets that it is the video card as Antec has a good reputation.

I solved it everyone! You want believe this...

So I had memory of a few years back my 360 was having similar issues, lights would turn on etc., but would not boot. It ended up being a bad HDMI wire and the 360 would not boot unless it detected it was connected to a display.

The HDMI wire I was using to plug my monitor into the video card was dead and causing it to not boot. I bought a new one today and I am speaking to you on my newly built beast.

If a moderator reads this PLEASE add this to your checklist. If you google this problem it appears all over, a lot of people may just have a bad video cable.

Cheers!!!!
m
l
February 16, 2012 1:05:59 AM

tigz1218 said:
I solved it everyone! You want believe this...

So I had memory of a few years back my 360 was having similar issues, lights would turn on etc., but would not boot. It ended up being a bad HDMI wire and the 360 would not boot unless it detected it was connected to a display.

The HDMI wire I was using to plug my monitor into the video card was dead and causing it to not boot. I bought a new one today and I am speaking to you on my newly built beast.

If a moderator reads this PLEASE add this to your checklist. If you google this problem it appears all over, a lot of people may just have a bad video cable.

Cheers!!!!

Congrats! It is always nice to have a new build working properly. Enjoy!!
m
l
!