Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

MSI Cyclone GTX 460 1gb +EVGA GTX 460 1gb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 15, 2011 1:56:28 AM

Hello forum, this is my first time posting here. I am planning on getting an MSI cyclone GTX 460 for the holidays. I already have an EVGA GTX 460. Both are 1 gb models. I am wondering whether or not they will be compatible with each other.
Rig specs:
Antec 300
MSI P67A-G43
EVGA GTX 460 1GB
Intel i5-2500
Antec High Current Gamer 750w
16 gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Samsung Spinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm
Sony opitarc 24x CD/DVD reader/burner

Nothing is overclocked, I am just wondering if this is compatible with my current setup. I am also planning on getting 2 120mm fans for the front of my case. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
a b Î Nvidia
December 15, 2011 2:09:48 AM

Should be fine, because both GPU Chips are identical (the GTX 460). If they have different clocks then the one with higher clock goes down, etc.

You have a nice system right there. You should be fine, you might upgrade to 560ti SLI or 6950 CF to make a high end gaming PC as GTX 460 SLI is too low :p . Motherboard have 2 PCI-E x16 running at x16 and x8 so it should be fine.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 2:22:03 AM

thats a good upgrade, gtx 460 is essentially a stripped down 560, but two 460s easily beats a gtx 560 or a 560 ti, probably equal to about a 580.

Upgrade should last you a year or two pending upon your needs.

Your system looks fine in terms of its upgrade-ability
m
0
l
Related resources
December 15, 2011 3:27:33 AM

thanks guys. Also, any thoughts on the 2 120mm fans I will also be buying. I'm thinking about the antec truequiet 120mm. Thoughts?
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 5:19:19 AM

refillable said:
Should be fine, because both GPU Chips are identical (the GTX 460). If they have different clocks then the one with higher clock goes down, etc.

You have a nice system right there. You should be fine, you might upgrade to 560ti SLI or 6950 CF to make a high end gaming PC as GTX 460 SLI is too low :p . Motherboard have 2 PCI-E x16 running at x16 and x8 so it should be fine.

GTX 460SLI is same performance as GTX 580 performance to low I think not LOL.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 5:22:21 AM

thesnappyfingers said:
thats a good upgrade, gtx 460 is essentially a stripped down 560, but two 460s easily beats a gtx 560 or a 560 ti, probably equal to about a 580.

Upgrade should last you a year or two pending upon your needs.

Your system looks fine in terms of its upgrade-ability



welll... 560 is essentially an upgraded 460, with a newer architecture, but these two will be just more powerful than a 580.

This is one of the most balanced gaming systems I've seen in a long time...
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 5:22:21 AM

YCheez said:
Hello forum, this is my first time posting here. I am planning on getting an MSI cyclone GTX 460 for the holidays. I already have an EVGA GTX 460. Both are 1 gb models. I am wondering whether or not they will be compatible with each other.
Rig specs:
Antec 300
MSI P67A-G43
EVGA GTX 460 1GB
Intel i5-2500
Antec High Current Gamer 750w
16 gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Samsung Spinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm
Sony opitarc 24x CD/DVD reader/burner

Nothing is overclocked, I am just wondering if this is compatible with my current setup. I am also planning on getting 2 120mm fans for the front of my case. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Your rig is solid for SLI GTX 460s and you should be delighted to know that you will be receiving performance on par with a single GTX 580 so happy high end gaming to you PEACE.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 5:23:44 AM

FtsArTek said:
welll... 560 is essentially an upgraded 460, with a newer architecture, but these two will be just more powerful than a 580.

GTX 560 non ti is not even upgraded it is just a Re Badged GTX 460.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 5:27:06 AM

YCheez said:
thanks guys. Also, any thoughts on the 2 120mm fans I will also be buying. I'm thinking about the antec truequiet 120mm. Thoughts?

The stock 2 cool Antec fans are decent in my 100 so any aftermarket tri cool Antec fan should a the very leased be a bit better.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 5:31:22 AM

Headspin_69 said:
GTX 560 non ti is not even upgraded it is just a Re Badged GTX 460.


Not quite, uses G114 architecture instead of g104
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 5:39:06 AM

FtsArTek said:
Not quite, uses G114 architecture instead of g104

The 560ti is the one with the refined newer architecture aka GF114 that has more cores however the vanilla GTX 560 non ti is the exact same GF 104 GTX 460.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 6:08:39 AM

you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that they were talking about it when they were first released.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 6:15:24 AM

FtsArTek said:
you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that they were talking about it when they were first released.

I am positive in dignified.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 9:49:41 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Quote:
The GeForce GTX 560 operates using seven of GF114’s eight SMs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-amp...

As quoted from the Tom's article you posted about the GTX 560 "If those specs sound vaguely familiar, that's because they’re the same as Nvidia's GeForce GTX 460 1 GB" just because they changed some numbers and packaging around dose not mean it is a new card Nvidia marketing 101 that being said the GTX 460 was and still is one of Nvidias all time best and is a card I would be delighted to have in SLI.
m
0
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
December 15, 2011 10:04:36 PM

Headspin_69 said:
As quoted from the Tom's article you posted about the GTX 560 "If those specs sound vaguely familiar, that's because they’re the same as Nvidia's GeForce GTX 460 1 GB" just because they changed some numbers and packaging around dose not mean it is a new card Nvidia marketing 101 that being said the GTX 460 was and still is one of Nvidias all time best and is a card I would be delighted to have in SLI.

Go buy one and peel off the HSF then, it'll say GF114 on the GPU I assure you.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 10:32:19 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Go buy one and peel off the HSF then, it'll say GF114 on the GPU I assure you.

Even if it says GF114 it has parts that are disabled and what is left over are all the exact same components that make up a GTX 460.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 11:23:48 PM

So it is GF114. Alo, 460 was by far nVidia's best creation to date.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 11:33:42 PM

FtsArTek said:
So it is GF114. Alo, 460 was by far nVidia's best creation to date.

No it is fancy marketing to make people believe it is something it is not when what it is is a GTX 460 re badged made from a GTX 560 to reduce production costs to Nvidia. There is absolutely no difference between a GTX 460/560 performance but a number on a piece of paper and I am not saying that's a bad thing long live the GTX 460 one of Nvidias best ever.
m
0
l
December 16, 2011 12:11:22 AM

mouse just proved that it was a 114, but in practise, yes, a higher clocked 460. But the 114 means it can be clocked much higher
m
0
l
December 16, 2011 12:23:15 AM

FtsArTek said:
mouse just proved that it was a 114, but in practise, yes, a higher clocked 460. But the 114 means it can be clocked much higher

Still I would think an msi HAWK GTX 460 would still be better than a GTX 560 but it is up to you.Plus an 800mhz or 950mhz GTX 460 is still a GTX 460 a clock does not change the hardware the card uses.
m
0
l
December 16, 2011 1:04:36 AM

Yet the architecture does. 114 can clock quite a bit higher than 104, which is why a 560 can be clocked higher.
m
0
l
December 16, 2011 1:21:02 AM

FtsArTek said:
Yet the architecture does. 114 can clock quite a bit higher than 104, which is why a 560 can be clocked higher.

So an msi tfII GTX 460 at 1ghz is not high LOL
m
0
l
December 16, 2011 1:25:55 AM

FtsArTek said:
Yet the architecture does. 114 can clock quite a bit higher than 104, which is why a 560 can be clocked higher.

And higher clocks dont mean *** it is the Chip that counts look at a stock clocked GTX 570 it creams all over a highly OCed GTX 460/560 and does it with a lower clock and the GTX 580 will cream all over both the GTX 570 and GTX 560 and the ti and it will do it with an even lower clock. If you notice that the lower end cards always net a higher clock speed than the higher end card like GTX 460 / 560 / 560ti can always be clocked alot higher than a GTX 580 but they will always be slower than the next card up.
m
0
l
December 16, 2011 1:27:23 AM

yas, we're talking about clocks between 560 adn 460. But idc, really, im bored of this.
m
0
l
December 16, 2011 1:39:50 AM

FtsArTek said:
yas, we're talking about clocks between 560 adn 460. But idc, really, im bored of this.

That's why you will buy into Nvidia marketing and I don't but its ok i am trying to save people money and get them a better product.
m
0
l
December 16, 2011 2:43:06 AM

If you want to make arguments, please go somewhere else.
m
0
l
December 16, 2011 2:49:00 AM

YCheez said:
If you want to make arguments, please go somewhere else.

Stating the facts to make sure people make an informed decision is all I am doing no argues here however I proved that the GTX 560 is the same card as the GTX 460 whereas nobody proved me wrong they just proceeded with an article that backed up the fact that the GTX 560 sans ti is the same as a GTX 460 and sorry if I burst anyones bubble.
m
0
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
December 16, 2011 2:57:24 AM

Headspin_69 said:
Stating the facts to make sure people make an informed decision is all I am doing no argues here however I proved that the GTX 560 is the same card as the GTX 460 whereas nobody proved me wrong they just proceeded with an article that backed up the fact that the GTX 560 sans ti is the same as a GTX 460 and sorry if I burst anyones bubble.

Don't worry you didn't, regardless of what you wish to believe. Now please stay on topic or leave the thread.
m
0
l
!