Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

2600k vs 3770k and PCIe 3.0 effects on SLI 680's?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 30, 2012 8:52:42 PM

So, I'm in the process of buying parts, and this is somewhat my final decision. I'll probably get a z77 mobo regardless, for the usb 3.0 and such. Questions are, is the performance boost the 3770k gets worth the heat problems I've heard about and such? Especially considering it costs a decent amount more. Also, eventually, I may want to buy another gtx 680 later down the line (I already have one on the way), what kind of performance loss will SLI 680's have on PCIe 2.0 with the 2600k? And is that loss a large enough issue to justify settling for a more expensive processor that's only marginally better and has heat issues?

On a side note, what kind of OC'ing can you do on a 3770k with a hyper 212 at stable temps, as compared to a 2600k with a hyper 212 at stable temps? Or honestly, I could go buy an H60 for the money I save buying the 2600k.

I'm really lost on this, and everything I read seems to contradict itself, so I can't find a clear answer, so any help would be appreciated.
May 30, 2012 11:59:41 PM

rolli59 said:
This should answer the GPU loss http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI...
The CPU performance difference that the IB has over SB can be overcome by the higher overclocks on the 2600K!

I should probably be able to read the graphs but I'm completely lost. Anyone care to explain?

Also, I was sort of leaning toward the 2600k. The only thing really stopping me is the PCIe 3.0, but I guess I should really ask about that in graphics.
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:02:17 AM

joejoejrshab said:
I should probably be able to read the graphs but I'm completely lost. Anyone care to explain?

Also, I was sort of leaning toward the 2600k. The only thing really stopping me is the PCIe 3.0, but I guess I should really ask about that in graphics.


The graphs are showing a 1% difference (at the most) in PCIe 3.0 vs. PCIe 2.0. PCIe 3.0 won't become relevant for gaming for a long time.
May 31, 2012 12:04:17 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The graphs are showing a 1% difference (at the most) in PCIe 3.0 vs. PCIe 2.0. PCIe 3.0 won't become relevant for gaming for a long time.

So 2 680's in SLI won't over-saturate PCIe 2.0 bandwidth?
a c 283 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:06:09 AM

joejoejrshab said:
So 2 680's in SLI won't over-saturate PCIe 2.0 bandwidth?


Not really. It might be just slightly better, but we're talking 1 or 2 FPS.
May 31, 2012 12:09:02 AM

Then that means it should be a pretty safe bet to go with a 2600k, even if I'm getting a z77 board? By the way, thanks for the help, this is going to be my first build, and I'd really hate to make any choices I would regret.
a c 283 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:09:06 AM

You would need 2 690's to really see the bottle neck (and even then, it wouldn't be a ton. And that's basically 4-Way SLI, lol). PCIe 3.0 is nothing more than window dressing/future proofing, for now.
a c 788 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:09:57 AM

You get 100% with 680 in ver 2.0 X16 slot, if you SLI then the slot (on LGA1155) will be running X8 and you get 96% which is 4% performance loss!
a c 283 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:10:21 AM

joejoejrshab said:
Then that means it should be a pretty safe bet to go with a 2600k, even if I'm getting a z77 board? By the way, thanks for the help, this is going to be my first build, and I'd really hate to make any choices I would regret.


I would say so. By the time PCIe 3.0 matters, you'll be wanting a complete system upgrade anyway.
a c 283 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:13:10 AM

rolli59 said:
You get 100% with 680 in ver 2.0 X16 slot, if you SLI then the slot (on LGA1155) will be running X8 and you get 96% which is 4% performance loss!


With that exclamation point, you make it sound like 4% is the end of the world LOL. In reality, you wouldn't notice the difference unless you put the two side by side (and maybe not even then).
a c 283 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:16:12 AM

By the way, I'm not necessarily saying that you shouldn't go with the 3770K. I'm just saying doing so for PCIe 3.0 alone is basically pointless, for now.
a c 788 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:16:37 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
With that exclamation point, you make it sound like 4% is the end of the world LOL. In reality, you wouldn't notice the difference unless you put the two side by side (and maybe not even then).

It is not the end of the world! Especially if you look at the AMD cards then the loss is even less!
Totally agree that it will not be noticed but is measurable.
May 31, 2012 12:21:41 AM

I'm not sure who to give the best post to. Both of you have been a great help. Tie breaker maybe, even though I'm already pretty sure on this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ram on newegg shellshocker today is 1.65v DDR3 2400 memory. Is the .15v and frequency above 1333 (sandybridge recommended frequency) really that huge of a problem?

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:24:55 AM
Share

joejoejrshab said:
I'm not sure who to give the best post to. Both of you have been a great help. Tie breaker maybe, even though I'm already pretty sure on this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ram on newegg shellshocker today is 1.65v DDR3 2400 memory. Is the .15v and frequency above 1333 (sandybridge recommended frequency) really that huge of a problem?


The frequency, not so much, but the voltage, yes. +5% over 1.5V is the tolerance allowed for the IMC on SB and IB CPU's and 1.65V is over that, meaning it voids the warranty (or so I've always read). It'll work just fine, but if you ever need to RMA the CPU, that could become a problem.
a c 788 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:27:51 AM

joejoejrshab said:
I'm not sure who to give the best post to. Both of you have been a great help. Tie breaker maybe, even though I'm already pretty sure on this one

Give it to DJDeCiBeL I got plenty points!
a c 283 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:30:42 AM

rolli59 said:
Give it to DJDeCiBeL I got plenty points!


Thanks! :) 
May 31, 2012 12:42:06 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The frequency, not so much, but the voltage, yes. +5% over 1.5V is the tolerance allowed for the IMC on SB and IB CPU's and 1.65V is over that, meaning it voids the warranty (or so I've always read). It'll work just fine, but if you ever need to RMA the CPU, that could become a problem.

And one more thing, is there any way for intel to actually know the voltage of the ram I've been using, and would the ram go under the overclocking warranties they sell? I really wish intel's warranty terms were somewhere easy to find.

Also, at the thing about the 3770k, what other real benefits does it have over the 2600k?
May 31, 2012 12:43:33 AM

Best answer selected by joejoejrshab.
a c 283 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:52:24 AM

joejoejrshab said:
And one more thing, is there any way for intel to actually know the voltage of the ram I've been using, and would the ram go under the overclocking warranties they sell? I really wish intel's warranty terms were somewhere easy to find.

Also, at the thing about the 3770k, what other real benefits does it have over the 2600k?


Honestly, no, there's really no way for them to KNOW you used 1.65V RAM unless you tell them, but they WILL ask (just up to you how honest you want to be, lol). But yes, that's covered under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan (which I have for my 2500K, actually. Hope I never need it, but it's nice to have if I do).

Forgot to answer the other part there. The 3770K will be faster by around 5-10% at stock than a 2600K, but the 2600K will OC further.
May 31, 2012 1:21:40 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Honestly, no, there's really no way for them to KNOW you used 1.65V RAM unless you tell them, but they WILL ask (just up to you how honest you want to be, lol). But yes, that's covered under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan (which I have for my 2500K, actually. Hope I never need it, but it's nice to have if I do).

Forgot to answer the other part there. The 3770K will be faster by around 5-10% at stock than a 2600K, but the 2600K will OC further.

Yep, I figured that much from benchmarks and stuff. I plan to OC a bit though. Thanks for all your help, I think I'll be sticking to my initial thought and going for the 2600k.
!