GSM Reception on South Carolina

Last response: in Technologies
March 15, 2005 4:27:11 PM

I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
does not look promising for roaming. Will I be able to roam or will I
be without cell phone service while in SC? I'd love comments from GSM
users with a Triband phone - specifically the Motorola V300!
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:44:04 PM

"Tamara C. Brucks" <baberuthless@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
> Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
> does not look promising for roaming.

You must have checked a T-Mobile map. Due to a lack of licenses, T-Mobile
has never had much coverage in N. & S. Carolina. However, those states are
very well covered by Cingular.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

On 15 Mar 2005 13:27:11 -0800, baberuthless@gmail.com (Tamara C.
Brucks) wrote:

>I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
>Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
>does not look promising for roaming. Will I be able to roam or will I
>be without cell phone service while in SC? I'd love comments from GSM
>users with a Triband phone - specifically the Motorola V300!

The Carolinas are both cingular and Suncom.

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:53:28 AM

"Tamara C. Brucks" <baberuthless@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
> Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
> does not look promising for roaming. Will I be able to roam or will I
> be without cell phone service while in SC? I'd love comments from GSM
> users with a Triband phone - specifically the Motorola V300!

And of course your carrier is????

I didn't have any problems with AT&T Wireless (Now Cingular) or T-Mobile in
the places that you mention.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:54:28 AM

"Donald Newcomb" <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote in message

> "Tamara C. Brucks" <baberuthless@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
>> Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
>> does not look promising for roaming.
>
> You must have checked a T-Mobile map. Due to a lack of licenses, T-Mobile
> has never had much coverage in N. & S. Carolina. However, those states are
> very well covered by Cingular.

And T-Mobile has a roaming agreement that allows you to use you phone now.

Great service!
April 16, 2005 9:01:31 AM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:53:28 GMT, "John S"
<johndsummers@teraearthlink.net> wrote:

>"Tamara C. Brucks" <baberuthless@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
>> Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
>> does not look promising for roaming. Will I be able to roam or will I
>> be without cell phone service while in SC? I'd love comments from GSM
>> users with a Triband phone - specifically the Motorola V300!
>
>And of course your carrier is????
>
>I didn't have any problems with AT&T Wireless (Now Cingular) or T-Mobile in
>the places that you mention.

T-Mobile does not have native coverage in South Carolina! Have you
really been to South Carolina?
April 24, 2005 12:21:24 AM

"John S" <johndsummers@teraearthlink.net> wrote in message news:<cmZ7e.6944$yq6.171@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Tamara C. Brucks" <baberuthless@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
> > Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
> > does not look promising for roaming. Will I be able to roam or will I
> > be without cell phone service while in SC? I'd love comments from GSM
> > users with a Triband phone - specifically the Motorola V300!
>
> And of course your carrier is????
>
> I didn't have any problems with AT&T Wireless (Now Cingular) or T-Mobile in
> the places that you mention.

Just to follow up - I had very few problems with cellular reception in
most of South Carolina. I did have a few problems in the 5 Points area
of Columbia but that's about it (I don't remember who the roaming
partner was). John - my carrier is Rogers.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:52:44 PM

> "John S" <johndsummers@teraearthlink.net> wrote in message
>> "Tamara C. Brucks" <baberuthless@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
>> > Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
>> > does not look promising for roaming. Will I be able to roam or will I
>> > be without cell phone service while in SC? I'd love comments from GSM
>> > users with a Triband phone - specifically the Motorola V300!
>>
>> And of course your carrier is????
>>
>> I didn't have any problems with AT&T Wireless (Now Cingular) or T-Mobile
>> in
>> the places that you mention.
>
> Just to follow up - I had very few problems with cellular reception in
> most of South Carolina. I did have a few problems in the 5 Points area
> of Columbia but that's about it (I don't remember who the roaming
> partner was). John - my carrier is Rogers.

Great.

I am getting ready to spend quite a bit of time in North Carolina around
Greensboro, NC. I am anxious to see how the coverage is there!
!