GSM Reception on South Carolina

I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
does not look promising for roaming. Will I be able to roam or will I
be without cell phone service while in SC? I'd love comments from GSM
users with a Triband phone - specifically the Motorola V300!
7 answers Last reply
More about reception south carolina

    "Tamara C. Brucks" <baberuthless@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
    > Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
    > does not look promising for roaming.

    You must have checked a T-Mobile map. Due to a lack of licenses, T-Mobile
    has never had much coverage in N. & S. Carolina. However, those states are
    very well covered by Cingular.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    On 15 Mar 2005 13:27:11 -0800, baberuthless@gmail.com (Tamara C.
    Brucks) wrote:

    >I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
    >Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
    >does not look promising for roaming. Will I be able to roam or will I
    >be without cell phone service while in SC? I'd love comments from GSM
    >users with a Triband phone - specifically the Motorola V300!

    The Carolinas are both cingular and Suncom.

    "Tamara C. Brucks" <baberuthless@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
    > Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
    > does not look promising for roaming. Will I be able to roam or will I
    > be without cell phone service while in SC? I'd love comments from GSM
    > users with a Triband phone - specifically the Motorola V300!

    And of course your carrier is????

    I didn't have any problems with AT&T Wireless (Now Cingular) or T-Mobile in
    the places that you mention.

    "Donald Newcomb" <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote in message

    > "Tamara C. Brucks" <baberuthless@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
    >> Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
    >> does not look promising for roaming.
    >
    > You must have checked a T-Mobile map. Due to a lack of licenses, T-Mobile
    > has never had much coverage in N. & S. Carolina. However, those states are
    > very well covered by Cingular.

    And T-Mobile has a roaming agreement that allows you to use you phone now.

    Great service!

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:53:28 GMT, "John S"
    <johndsummers@teraearthlink.net> wrote:

    >"Tamara C. Brucks" <baberuthless@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
    >> Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
    >> does not look promising for roaming. Will I be able to roam or will I
    >> be without cell phone service while in SC? I'd love comments from GSM
    >> users with a Triband phone - specifically the Motorola V300!
    >
    >And of course your carrier is????
    >
    >I didn't have any problems with AT&T Wireless (Now Cingular) or T-Mobile in
    >the places that you mention.

    T-Mobile does not have native coverage in South Carolina! Have you
    really been to South Carolina?

    "John S" <johndsummers@teraearthlink.net> wrote in message news:<cmZ7e.6944$yq6.171@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > "Tamara C. Brucks" <baberuthless@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
    > > Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
    > > does not look promising for roaming. Will I be able to roam or will I
    > > be without cell phone service while in SC? I'd love comments from GSM
    > > users with a Triband phone - specifically the Motorola V300!
    >
    > And of course your carrier is????
    >
    > I didn't have any problems with AT&T Wireless (Now Cingular) or T-Mobile in
    > the places that you mention.

    Just to follow up - I had very few problems with cellular reception in
    most of South Carolina. I did have a few problems in the 5 Points area
    of Columbia but that's about it (I don't remember who the roaming
    partner was). John - my carrier is Rogers.

    > "John S" <johndsummers@teraearthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> "Tamara C. Brucks" <baberuthless@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm visiting South Carolina next month - Sumter, Charleston and
    >> > Columbia. I checked out the map of GSM coverage in these areas and it
    >> > does not look promising for roaming. Will I be able to roam or will I
    >> > be without cell phone service while in SC? I'd love comments from GSM
    >> > users with a Triband phone - specifically the Motorola V300!
    >>
    >> And of course your carrier is????
    >>
    >> I didn't have any problems with AT&T Wireless (Now Cingular) or T-Mobile
    >> in
    >> the places that you mention.
    >
    > Just to follow up - I had very few problems with cellular reception in
    > most of South Carolina. I did have a few problems in the 5 Points area
    > of Columbia but that's about it (I don't remember who the roaming
    > partner was). John - my carrier is Rogers.

    Great.

    I am getting ready to spend quite a bit of time in North Carolina around
    Greensboro, NC. I am anxious to see how the coverage is there!

GSM Cell Phones Columbia