CPU removal to new mother board help

unlongo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I am planning on purchasing a new motherboard with 3 way crossfire capabilities and i will have to move my CPU from my current motherboard to that one. Would it be okay if i did so without removing then reapplying all new thermal paste?

1) I don't think it is even possible. The clamping mechanism that holds the chip to the motherboard can't be lifted without removing the cooler first.

2) Bad idea anyway. Best to clean and reapply paste.

3) If your copy of windows is a retail or upgrade copy, you are legal to move it to a new PC(aka motherboard).
If your copy is OEM, it must legally stay with the motherboard. If the motherboard is defective and needs to be replaced, and an exact duplicate is not available, microsoft is understanding. They will usually authorize the move so long as you assure them that it is being used on only this one pc.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
I don't think you can lift the bracket lock with a heat sink on. You do not want to just yank it off (rofl). Sounds like you are using a stock cooler as well. All after market require the cooler to come off to get to the bottom bracket.