Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Good SSD for a new build?

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2012 4:38:10 PM

I know people here probably watch newegg like a hawk and this could've been posted already, but is there anything wrong with the 120gb OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal?

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=S...
Today: $112.99 after 30MIR

I've been scouring for a cheap SSD and this is the lowest I've seen it. Maybe the part is known for high failure. Anyone already own it have problems?

More about : good ssd build

Best solution

February 13, 2012 5:19:06 PM

The Agility 3 is a terrible drive - I've used lots of OCZ products and some are good, others absolute crap. The Agility 3 falls under the latter.

And what would help is to know what kind of secondary storage option you have. If you have a second 1TB+ hard drive, it would be wise to consider something like this for your boot drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's only $88 and it's a far, far better choice than the Agility 3. I use the same drive and it's been great so far.
February 13, 2012 5:20:15 PM

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe
Score
Related resources
February 13, 2012 5:25:35 PM

In my honest opinion, I would not go cheap on an SSD. I would also suggest buying a reliable drive (which may cost you more). Speed differences are very small so buying on speed alone w/o considering reliability is a mistake.
Score
February 13, 2012 5:30:12 PM

hotthree said:
In my honest opinion, I would not go cheap on an SSD. I would also suggest buying a reliable drive (which may cost you more). Speed differences are very small so buying on speed alone w/o considering reliability is a mistake.

The Crucial M4 that I linked to is one of the most reliable drives on the market and for that price it's an absolute steal (normally goes for ~$110). I bought this drive back in September on a Newegg deal and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble yet.
Score
February 13, 2012 5:34:04 PM

if i were you id look into the patriot wild fire my self.. no issues here runs good and steady state performance is good too..
Score
February 13, 2012 5:34:58 PM

Look in to hybrids as well.
Score
February 13, 2012 5:35:23 PM

g-unit1111 said:
The Crucial M4 that I linked to is one of the most reliable drives on the market and for that price it's an absolute steal (normally goes for ~$110). I bought this drive back in September on a Newegg deal and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble yet.

I agree on Crucial m4 and Samsung drives...Intel will cost significantly more b/c of their 5 yr warranties.
Score
February 13, 2012 5:37:18 PM

t0mmy1977 said:
Look in to hybrids as well.

No - hybrids are meant for laptops where you won't have a secondary storage option. They won't give you the speed increases that a true dedicated SSD will.
Score
February 13, 2012 6:07:17 PM

Best answer selected by Blakexeal.
Score
February 13, 2012 8:57:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!