Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for correct power supply for Dell case switch

Last response: in Components
May 31, 2012 1:19:24 AM

I currently have a Dell Optiplex 380 Desktop model computer being used as a secondary on my desk. I have a ATI Firepro V4800 I would like to start using to get back into Mechanical engineering but it is a full height card. A friend gave me the Mini tower from a Dell Optiplex 755 that would allow me to use the card as well as add some storage Drives. I checked and all of the components such as CPU Motherboard and drives will fit in the mini-tower case.

My problem is that I need a power supply that will work for this system as the one from the desktop model does not fit correctly. I tried the power supply that was in the 755 tower to begin with and it will not work. I think this is because the 380 is an i5 cpu and the 755 was a dual core.

Can I just order a good 300-400watt PS and be good to go or is their a certain type I should be looking for?
If additional information is needed please let me know.

Flare

Best solution

May 31, 2012 2:52:47 AM

if your tower is a atx and he gave u a slimor mini? you need a certain psu to fit in the slim case. your best bet to get a new psu and put what you want from the slim in the big 1. and try this psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 1, 2012 4:30:52 PM

Best answer selected by Flareside.
m
l
!