GPU/PSU Issue (PC turns off while gaming)

Protagonist

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
This week, i bought a HIS HD5750 1GB. Before it i was using MSI 9600GT 512MB.

Everything was fine before the upgrade, but after that this issue arrived.

Basically, everything works fine while idle, or using windows apps. But when i start gaming, it turns off after a mere few minutes.

What is happening is, that as soon as the GPU temp reaches above 80c (83-84), my display turns off, then a crash sound plays, and then the PC turns off, and restarts by itself.

Now, first of all, this GPU shouldn't be going this hot according to the reviews.

Secondly, even if the temperature is going above 80c, the GPU shouldn't be causing trouble, as most GPUs are capable of running at 100c & above.

Now, i think either the GPU is faulty, or my PSU is too low for the GPU (PSU is 400w maybe, not completely sure).

The PSU being too low is more likely the issue, cause then it won't be able to give the GPU the required voltage while gaming.

What do you think is the issue?

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Your problem is, most likely, your PSU. It is capable of handling the load at idle but not when you stress it at gaming. Your present PSU may be OK for some low end systems, but you should swap it out for a better quality, more powerful PSU.

Of course it's an issue you could have a 35w cpu or a 130w cpu, big difference. You could also have 6 sticks of ram which use more power than 2 sticks.

If your gpu is running too hot, you can increase the fan speed using you Catalyst software or you can fix the cooling issues in your case.

Secondly, your not even sure how many watts your psu is, not sure why it's so hard to take off the side off the case and look......but anyways, the first thing you need to do is CHECK.

400w should be plenty for that system unless it's a generic psu.

Of course it's mentioned, but since your unable to find it, have you tried googling the brand and model number?? It's really not that difficult, we can't do it for you unless you post the brand and model number.