sontawila

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
G

1GB GT550m

GeForce GT 550M 96@740MHz/1480 MHz

GeForce GT 540M 96@672MHz/1344 MHz

You will not see a need for the 2gb ever. Why they even put 2gb inside laptops is beyond me!

But the cpu in the asus clocks faster....

At the end the differences will be unnoticeable, and you can most likely overclock the 540 to match the 550.

The lenevo has an ssd though...

The lenevo is 14" which is more portable...

The choice is yours at the end to suit your needs. I would go with the 14.1" because i would want more portability, but if it wont be moving around, then idk :p

G

Then dont bother looking at the gpu, go with the extra features and what you like and size.
You can overclock the gt540m to a gt550m because they are the same chip just overclocked/underclocked by nvidia.

wizloa

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Probably not wise to overclock as the eventual heat output may not be sufficiently dissipated with the cooling that it is designed for especially for laptops. The 1gb gt550m will give you better performance than 2gb gt540. As mentioned before the extra vram for gt540 is pretty useless..

G

They are performance laptops though, enhanced for heat dissipation. I doubt an extra 70mhz will raise the temperatures beyond 1-2 degrees

G

http://www.notebooksforgaming.com/tag/the-lenovo-ideapad-y470-review/

"The temperature of the Notebooks for gaming- Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 is normal to not very hot."

Your review is for an i5 as well, also you may have a defective laptop. Just sayin'...

"I have put the Y470 under heavy load for hours and it manages to stay relatively very cool. The padded feet under the laptop keep it about 1.5 cm off the table, which provides plenty of clearance on the underside for the fan there to draw in air. "

http://www.laptopreviews.com/lenovo-ideapad-y470-review-2011-12

The review does not include any programs that measures temps.

Actually, I must correct myself the GPU does not get too hot. However, the CPU does. I called Lenovo tech support about it reaching 93C and they told me that is normal. The TJMax of the i5-2410M is 95C. The underside of the laptop was only warm though even after hours of game play. However, the concern is the CPU temp being extremely close to TJMax where the CPU will begin throttling itself.

I don't know about you, but people who really knows computers and are into building their own PC wants the max temps measured to be far less than TJMax.