Sign in with
Your question

External gfx card for laptop

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2012 5:37:11 PM

I've seen pics where an external pci-e adapter is attached to express card which then connects into the laptop and a passively cooled card can be placed onto the pci-e adapter (gts 450 passively cooled?)

The problem is that i don't have an express card slot which make things harder, is there a way to connect that with usb?
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2012 7:25:34 PM

What you asked is a little confusing to me, so tell me if I have this right.

You would like to have an external video card plug into the laptop via a USB cord?

Is that right?

If so, I don't think it can be done. A USB slot supplies like 10 watts of power or something and a video card would use way more than that. Easily 10x more.

I could be wrong, but I don't think a USB slot could power a video card unless it was really really low end and not worth using instead of the regular laptop video chip.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2012 7:34:11 PM

I don't think USB has enough bandwidth anyway.
Related resources
February 13, 2012 7:34:52 PM

well what i've seen is that setup above though it uses express card instead of usb which prolly supplies enough wattage to power a passively cooled gfx card.

My question was, is that possible to connect that express card somehow to laptops which doesn't have an express card slot
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2012 8:50:18 PM

I am guessing not.
February 13, 2012 8:58:09 PM

MSI sells something like this for thunderbolt ports, but not USB
!