windows xp start menu folders

I just reinstalled windows xp pro onto my machine. For some reason
when I install programs not only do I get the regular folder to appear
in the start menu (the one that is suppose to be there) but also the
folder where everything is stored (setup.exe, templates, .dll's,
etc.), when I check the properties on that folder it tells me it
located in F:/Program Files (where it should be). If I try to delete
it from the start menu, it deletes the folder from F:/Program Files as
well esencially uninstallign the program. How do I get it not to put
these folders in the start menu.

Windows XP Pro
Atholon XP 2000+
512MB RAM
6GB HD (C:) with windows
DVD (D:)
CDRW (E:)
200GB HD (F:) with programs
2 answers Last reply
More about windows start menu folders

    "Michelle" <mcshorter@netzero.com> wrote
    | I just reinstalled windows xp pro onto my machine. For some reason
    | when I install programs not only do I get the regular folder to appear
    | in the start menu (the one that is suppose to be there) but also the
    | folder where everything is stored (setup.exe, templates, .dll's,
    | etc.), when I check the properties on that folder it tells me it
    | located in F:/Program Files (where it should be). If I try to delete
    | it from the start menu, it deletes the folder from F:/Program Files as
    | well esencially uninstallign the program. How do I get it not to put
    | these folders in the start menu.
    |
    | Windows XP Pro
    | Atholon XP 2000+
    | 512MB RAM
    | 6GB HD (C:) with windows
    | DVD (D:)
    | CDRW (E:)
    | 200GB HD (F:) with programs

    When you install programs, ensure that you are installing the actual
    program-related files to a folder on the F: drive,
    -and-
    that you are installing the *shortcuts* to the program in the Start menu.

    "Michelle" <mcshorter@netzero.com> wrote
    | I just reinstalled windows xp pro onto my machine. For some reason
    | when I install programs not only do I get the regular folder to appear
    | in the start menu (the one that is suppose to be there) but also the
    | folder where everything is stored (setup.exe, templates, .dll's,
    | etc.), when I check the properties on that folder it tells me it
    | located in F:/Program Files (where it should be). If I try to delete
    | it from the start menu, it deletes the folder from F:/Program Files as
    | well esencially uninstallign the program. How do I get it not to put
    | these folders in the start menu.
    |
    | Windows XP Pro
    | Atholon XP 2000+
    | 512MB RAM
    | 6GB HD (C:) with windows
    | DVD (D:)
    | CDRW (E:)
    | 200GB HD (F:) with programs

    1. If you right-click [Start] button, then "Explore", you will see the
    start-menu folder for the "current user".

    2. If you right-click [Start] button, then "Explore All Users", you will
    see the start-menu folder for "all users".

    Does "the folder where everything is stored (setup.exe, templates,
    .dll's, etc.)" appear in either of the folders that you just opened
    in steps 1 and 2?

Configuration Start Menu Windows XP