Got the parts now what - help with Asus Sabertooth X58 system

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2012 6:32:26 PM

Ok I got the following system fully assembled and built below:

CPU - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366
Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth X58
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600MHz - PART #: F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL
SSD - Corsair Force Series Sata 3 Solid State Drive
Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB 1024MB GDDR5 (01G-P3-1561-KR)
Power Supply - Corsair Professional Series HX850 Modular 850 Watt 80PLUS Silver Certified Power Supply (CMPSU-850HX)
Case - Cooler Master HAF X
HeatSink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 4 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
Generic CD/DVD Burner

The system boots up fine but I have some final question before I go about installing the operating system.

1) I have never used a SSD drive. I currently have my Corsair Force 3 plugged into the Marvel Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connector into SATA_6G_1 port. Is this correct?

2) Should I enable ACHI mode in the BIOS or keep it in IDE mode for the SSD?

3) What are somethings that should be checked or I need do before I install Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on the SSD?

4) If 120 GB is enough for my needs do I need to have a secondary drive such as HDD? If I decide later I want a HDD for extra storage space can I install one later?
February 13, 2012 6:54:27 PM

1) sounds good
2) ACHI - definitely before you install windows.
3) Install away
4) A 120gb drive will be enough for windows and a few games. I would suggest a secondary drive for data.

I actually ended up getting a 2nd SSD for my games, so I have 1 SSD for OS, 1 SSD for Games, and a regular drive for data (pictures, music and movies).
m
l
February 13, 2012 6:58:17 PM

1. Yes, you want your SATA III (which is 6.0 Gb/s) drive plugged into a SATA III port.

2. Turn on AHCI mode, your SSD performance will gradually degrade if you don't use either AHCI or RAID mode (needed for TRIM support in Windows).

3. Nothing, just install.

4. If 120 GB is enough, no, you don't need another disk. Try not to think of your SSD as some special piece of hardware, and just as a really fast but small hard drive. And yes, you can always install another hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2012 6:58:48 PM

ahci is fine

dont install on the marvell controller use the intel controller--should be the black sata ports on that board
m
l
February 13, 2012 7:21:36 PM

Just looked more closely at the build, and I'm curious about some things. Why did you opt for the i7-950? The 2500k is cheaper, every bit as fast, runs cooler and draws less power to boot. The i7-950 will also be two full generations out of date in about a month, and you'll basically never be able to upgrade that processor. The 2500k, on the other hand, can be replaced by one of the upcoming Ivy Bridge CPUs down the line if you want more horsepower.

The i7-950 was a really bad choice, in my opinion.

Also, an 850 watt PSU? That's a TON of power for that system. You planning to SLI your video cards in the future? That PSU can easily handle it.
m
l
February 13, 2012 8:50:07 PM

willard said:
Just looked more closely at the build, and I'm curious about some things. Why did you opt for the i7-950? The 2500k is cheaper, every bit as fast, runs cooler and draws less power to boot. The i7-950 will also be two full generations out of date in about a month, and you'll basically never be able to upgrade that processor. The 2500k, on the other hand, can be replaced by one of the upcoming Ivy Bridge CPUs down the line if you want more horsepower.

The i7-950 was a really bad choice, in my opinion.

Also, an 850 watt PSU? That's a TON of power for that system. You planning to SLI your video cards in the future? That PSU can easily handle it.

To answer your question yes a 2500k would be better. However I had a purchased two factory sealed Intel i950's on boxing day of December 2010 for an incredible price. I made my first system and decided at a later date to make a 2nd system when I had more time. Due to family, work and other things in my life the 2nd system was placed on hold.

Only recently did I have time to make my 2nd system.

If I had not already purchased the i950 CPU I would definately be buying a unlocked 2600k or 2500k.

I know LGA 1366 is phased out but that's fine. I definately will be using this system for a long time before I get another.

As for the PSU I wanted it simply because it was a highly recommended PSU at the time (still is far as I know) and I was thinking about overclocking my system and perhaps trying SLI/CROSSFIRE in the future.

So yes you're right ^^

mcnumpty23 said:
ahci is fine

dont install on the marvell controller use the intel controller--should be the black sata ports on that board

Is there a reason I should use Intel ICH10R Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s (Black Colored Connectors) over the Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s (White Colored Connectors)?

I figured the Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connector would be the one to use at it provides better bandwidth/speeds.

I know there is a reason for why you suggested the ICH10R Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s but I simply would like to know why.

Beyond connecting the Corsair Force 3 to the ICH10R Port is there anything else needed to be done before installation?
m
l
February 13, 2012 8:57:44 PM

when i had my x58 board i couldnt get windows to install on the marvel controller

tried 3 or 4 times but kept getting errors and blue screens

when i used the intel controller it installed perfectly first time

then i installed all the drivers rebooted then turned off pc and swapped to the marvel controller and it worked

fine

so it was basically for that reason i said use the intel controller to install

obviously i set all the controllers to ahci in the bios before starting
m
l
April 8, 2013 3:31:34 PM

I know this is an old post but I've just had the same issue with a Samsung 840 Pro drive connected to the Marvell SATA3 (grey) port. Device manager showed the SSD as a SCSI drive so it couldn't be used as a boot drive. I contacted Samsung and they emailed to say that the marvell controller was not ATAPI compliant so could only support data drives and not system drives. I followed their advice and moved the connector to the SATA2 black connector and it worked.
Reading Willard's post - what is the reason for the degrade if not using AHCI? I have cloned the OS to the SSD from my HDD and that was installed with SATA set to IDE not AHCI. (decision of the system builder). I tried changing to AHCI in BIOS and that stopped the HDD c: from booting (google confirmed it's because the windows 8 install didn't load the AHCI driver as it wasnt needed). I tried to modify the registry in the windows 8 to use AHCI but couldn't get it to work so needed to restore the image. Now I've cloned the OS to the SSD I suspect if I changed the BIOS to AHCI I'll have the same problem unless I can find a way to set it ready for AHCI in the OS before changing the BIOS. Has anyone successfully done this?
m
l
!