AMD x61100t would be a nice upgrade over the 955be?

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Hi guys. I have been upgrading my system lately and so far I bought a gtx 680 and I'm going to get another for an sli. I have at the moment a phenom ii 955 OC to 3.8gz and it has been working awesome, but I know it would hold back my sli a little bit, so I need to upgrade my cpu too. I was thinking first in a 8150fx but since it has been reported to be bit slower core to core compared with the phenom ii processors . Recently I found that a local store still has a x6 1100t priced almost as high as the 8150, so I was wondering if it would feel like a good upgrade from my 955, or if maybe I should wait for the 8170 or even piledriver.

Thanks!

All round performance yes it will, I went that route and the X6 in general system usage is better. In gaming probably less pronounced but if you like having 150+ web browsers open then the X6 makes a difference.

That said, the 965BE is still enough and with Piledriver on the horizon, it is prudent not to invest in a old architecture....personally I would stick with what you have and wait.