Booting troubles and crashing. Custom Gaming Build.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
So lately I have been having troubles with my computer, it is a custom built gaming pc. It has been crashing and giving me blue screen errors. A few in particular. I have been getting blue screens randomly since I built it, and then they seemed to go away. Just recently my computer started acting really strange. I replaced the memory and that seemed to solve some of my issues. It began doing other things though, such as it crashing and restarting while trying to boot, monitor going to sleep while starting up, and various others. I figured it was a software issue. I formatted my hard drive, and re-installed windows 7. Everything seemed to be fine, and then I started getting blue screens again. Judging by some of the problems I have had in the past, I think it is the power supply. I also re-seated everything, including cpu, as well as removed the CMOS battery and cleared the jumpers, to no avail. Now I can't seem to get it to boot at all. It begins to start up, but gets stuck at a black screen with a flashing underscore. I can not get past this screen to get into bios, or even boot from a disk, or format again for that matter. I have a secondary hard drive that doesn't have windows on it, just all of my personal files such as pictures, music, videos, school work, etc. Should I remove my primary and try installing windows on the secondary, by using the upgrade option at the install screen, so it would keep all of my files? I need advice on what to do. I was going to sell it a week ago, because the problems seemed to be gone. So if some one could help me get this thing running well so that I can just sell it, and get it out of here, that would be AWESOME. Also, could the psu have damaged some of my components? Thank you in advance, and please READ EVERYTHING FIRST.

-Jrwizbang

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Yes I can.
Mother Board: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard (suspected culprit)

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

PSU: Cooler Master 500W( dont know specifics, also suspected culprit)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

HDD #1: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

HDD #2: 250GB Hitachi Deskstar (from old computer)

GPU: XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB

I am running Win7 x64.

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
So the first question: Do you have a good quality psu that you can substitute to see if that solves the problem? CM are necessarily bad and the wattage should be enough but to rule it out you will need another psu that you know is good quality.

Have you tried just running with one stick of ram to see if that makes a difference? You can try both as singles and then try different slots if you have 4 ram slots available.

Do you have another video card you can try? Or, does the mobo have onboard video try that with no video card.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I am going to use my friends rig as a test platform for my components. I've tried every configuration for the ram. Also, I am using a 2x 4pin molex to 6 pin adapter for one of the 6 pin connectors going to my 6870. Don't think that would cause any major issues, but could that be what's causing the monitor going to sleep issue?

ryanthebuilder

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
yes in the asrock bios setup go to page with the cpu core temps. See what temps your getting before boot up, because my asrock 770de+ wouldnt boot because it was overheating at startup. Make sure your heatsink is locked over the cpu and make sure you have a sufficent amount of thermal paste on the processor. Most ASRock MoBos wont boot up the system at high core temperatures.