Solved

Will this power supply work?!?!

13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will power supply work
  1. please can someone help me! i don't want to break my system
  2. It'll work, but with it being an unknown brand (to me, at least), it's also unknown quality, so who knows how long it will last (it's older apparently), and what it'll take with it if it does die.
  3. DJDeCiBeL said:
    It'll work, but with it being an unknown brand (to me, at least), it's also unknown quality, so who knows how long it will last (it's older apparently), and what it'll take with it if it does die.

    if it does die what can happen?
  4. If it dies catastrophically, it can take the mobo and GPU with it (and possibly the CPU and RAM too, but much less likely). If the protection circuits are good enough, it should just die without any harm to anything else, but I'm not sold that it's a particularly high quality unit (but honestly, even a high quality unit can fail catastrophically, it's just not as likely).
  5. Consider using NCIX.ca - they have great prices and do price matching. They have a great deal right now on the XFX Pro 650W for $54.99 after MIR: http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=59616&vpn=P1650SNLB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1068
    It's overkill for your system, but it's the best value/dollar.

    For $15 less, you can get the XFX Pro 450W for $39.99 after MIR: http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=63238&vpn=P1450SX2B9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1068 It is sufficient for your build with a single HD 6850.
  6. 1. do you already own that PSU? it's an old PSU and the site you linked said it's not available. if you don't own it, you can get a better unit for less like the corsair CX600 or GS600 (if you want the blue LED)

    2. here is a review of it
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/940/apex_sl_8600eps_600_watt_sli_ready_psu/index4.html
  7. ct1615 said:
    1. do you already own that PSU? it's an old PSU and the site you linked said it's not available. if you don't own it, you can get a better unit for less like the corsair CX600 or GS600 (if you want the blue LED)

    2. here is a review of it
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/940/apex_sl_8600eps_600_watt_sli_ready_psu/index4.html

    I already own it, is it worth it to get another power supply? im super poor :( i bought it at my local computer store and they recommended it :/
  8. Best answer
    A system with a single HD6850 requires a 450W PSU with at least 28A on the 12V rails and one 75W 6-pin PCIe power connector. A system running two HD6850s in crossfire mode requires a 600W PSU with at least 40A on the 12V rails and two 75W 6-pin PCIe power connectors.

    It may not be from a company with a great reputation for making quality PSUs, but with 44A on the 12V rails it has more than sufficient power to run your PC. Assuming that it can deliver its rated power, it actually is sufficient to run a CF of HD6850s. You already own it, are budget limited, and are using a single HD6850; I say you should use this PSU for your system.
  9. Rugger said:
    A system with a single HD6850 requires a 450W PSU with at least 28A on the 12V rails and one 75W 6-pin PCIe power connector. A system running two HD6850s in crossfire mode requires a 600W PSU with at least 40A on the 12V rails and two 75W 6-pin PCIe power connectors.

    It may not be from a company with a great reputation for making quality PSUs, but with 44A on the 12V rails it has more than sufficient power to run your PC. Assuming that it can deliver its rated power, it actually is sufficient to run a CF of HD6850s. You already own it, are budget limited, and are using a single HD6850; I say you should use this PSU for your system.

    thank you so much, i really appreciate the help!
  10. Best answer selected by cleanslate.
  11. Rugger said:
    A system with a single HD6850 requires a 450W PSU with at least 28A on the 12V rails and one 75W 6-pin PCIe power connector. A system running two HD6850s in crossfire mode requires a 600W PSU with at least 40A on the 12V rails and two 75W 6-pin PCIe power connectors.

    It may not be from a company with a great reputation for making quality PSUs, but with 44A on the 12V rails it has more than sufficient power to run your PC. Assuming that it can deliver its rated power, it actually is sufficient to run a CF of HD6850s. You already own it, are budget limited, and are using a single HD6850; I say you should use this PSU for your system.

    will i be able to overclock my CPU safely? i was watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mkGQhE1o2w&feature=related and i thought i'd make it because i have something like 100w to spare. Can i with that heatsink?!?
  12. Your system has sufficient power to support an OC on your CPU and the Hyper 212+ is a great HSF for mild-moderate OCs...you're safe.
  13. cleanslate said:
    I already own it, is it worth it to get another power supply? im super poor :( i bought it at my local computer store and they recommended it :/


    you already own it and it works, may as well use it. the AMD 6850 is not that power demanding to begin with.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Build Components Product