Sign in with
Your question

Is there a big difference between HDMI and DVI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2011 6:40:42 PM

Is there a big difference between HDMI and DVI? I am wondering this because I was going to get an Acer 23" Monitor that has HDMI and 1080p but I dont think my XFX Radeon HD 6870 and AMD Athlon II x3 will be able to run high settings on BF3 or will it? But other than that i found an Acer 20" monitor that is 1600 x 900 but it only has DVI and I think that BF3 will run better but what are your opinions? Do think BF3 will run on the 1080p one or should I should I get the other?
December 15, 2011 8:10:40 PM

DVI carries only video, whereas HDMI carries video & audio (& even more stuff on newest versions). when it comes to the video signal both DVI and HDMI are identical, which is why you can buy DVI to HDMI cables/adapters, no conversion necessary.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 15, 2011 8:15:12 PM

Image wise there is no difference , I have tried both on this set up and there was no difference at all.
m
l
Related resources
a c 254 U Graphics card
December 15, 2011 8:24:08 PM

Running BF3 is a challange for AMD devices as they do take a performance hit vs Nvidia , The cpu doesn't come into play but the video card is front and center as far as what you are going to get fro fps and what settings you can play at. I do believe that you will be able to play the game on high settings and with the 1080 resolution with smooth performance , you will just have to see what you are going to get for fps and if you will have to make any adjustments.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 15, 2011 8:29:56 PM

You are better off getting the 23" monitor that is 1080, the omage quality is superior to 1600X900
m
l
December 15, 2011 8:30:51 PM

inzone said:
Running BF3 is a challange for AMD devices as they do take a performance hit vs Nvidia , The cpu doesn't come into play but the video card is front and center as far as what you are going to get fro fps and what settings you can play at. I do believe that you will be able to play the game on high settings and with the 1080 resolution with smooth performance , you will just have to see what you are going to get for fps and if you will have to make any adjustments.

Well right now Im using an HD t.v. running at 720p and I run 40 - 100+ fps depending on what map and stuff on high or max settings, so how much would that 1080p monitor drop my frames?
m
l
!