building a personal server ....

Hi,

I am planning to take microsoft certification exams such as 70-640,70-643,70-646. I have read several threads here but they seem not fit for my needs.

So what i need in terms of performance is a server that would allow me to practice concepts such as Active Directory, Domain controllers, Hyper V and other Windows Server 2008 R2 services.

Since i would like to use just one server PC and use Hyper V to create 4-8 virtual machines alongside other client computers in hyper v mode.

The server does not need to be active 24/7.

What are the hardware requirements for such a server?
10 answers Last reply
More about building personal server
  1. Hello pasch;

Pretty modest requirements actually.

What kind of a budget do you want to work with?
  2. Well between 300 to 500 dollars- I would also like to use the same system for personal use like gaming/software applications with graphical demands. I was thinking of a system with 8GB ram or more -the processor, mainboards, is what am still confused about. But the main OS is windows server 2008 r2 sp1/windows 7. Thanks for your reply, looking forward to your suggestion.
  3. Something along these lines should sever well:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus M4A88T-M Micro ATX AM3 Motherboard ($79.98 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: HEC 6T10LITE MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($38.09 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($36.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324-99 DVD/CD Writer ($26.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $483.99
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-01 10:13 EDT-0400)
  4. A different ODD for $20 & free shipping: LITE-ON 24X DVD Burner Model IHAS324
  5. Hi,

Thanks for the information; as i live in Europe. I can not find the memory you recommended on any online store here. Can you kindly state another memory?
  6. Any equivalent RAM would be fine.
    Same for the other parts.
  7. thanks so much-do have a lovely weekend!
  8. If you want a 2nd opinion, and some help looking for alternative parts:

You might want to jump on over to the Systems > New Build section of the THG forums where they handle about a couple dozen of these requests per day.

If you fill out the form in *How To Ask For New Build Advice* you'll answer all the standard questions that help things get started
  9. Thanks!I would do that.
  10. You never mentioned a CPU cooler-or was that also included in the hardware requirements you disclosed above?
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Server 2008 Servers Certification Components Product