Sign in with
Your question

Power of psu needed for this custom built...?

Last response: in Components
May 31, 2012 8:05:39 AM

hey guys, decided to go with a gaming pc for my next build. But not sure how much power i need to power them. Here are the specs iam going with:

Asus Sabertooth 990fx
AMD 8150-3.6ghz-8 core processor (overclocked to 4.2ghz)
8gb (2*4gb) Kingston hyper x 1600mhz ddr3
HD 6850 dual graphic cards crossfired
Ocz agility 60gb ssd
WD cavair green 2TB hdd
Corsair H60 liquid CPU cooler and other three 140mm fans to blow the heat out of case
Full sized ATX case

And slight overclocking

Decided to go with amd rather than intel because of better power management, better muktitasking in amd than intel (thats what the forms across internet say) and also within budget...amd processor go better with amd graphics than intel does with amd graphics (my thinkng, not sure of it)

Am i going right?? Now the problem is my psu. Am not sure how much power does these boards draw. Guys, here where i need your help. Can u tell me how much power i need to power them and recommend me a psu

Could cooler master 850W silent gold pro power these up?

Do the selected components go together for better gaming and multitasking?
a b ) Power supply
May 31, 2012 11:26:48 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
CM 850 is a decent PSU but I'd recommend going with a Corsair HX750/850 instead.They're better.
And yes,your system specs are fine.(but don't expect to max out all games on 1080p)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 31, 2012 11:38:18 AM

I agree. Ditch the Cooler Master PSU, and get a Corsair, Antec, or Seasonic instead. 750 watts will be sufficient.
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 31, 2012 12:36:37 PM

Antec, Corsair, and Seasonic are great PSUs and I commonly recommend them. Abekl is right that you don't need any more than a 750W PSU; HD6850s are not power hungry GPUs. A system with two HD6850s running in two-way Crossfire mode requires a 600W PSU with at least 40A on the 12V rail and two 75W 6-pin PCIe power connectors. The amount of amperage on the 12V rail is more important than the total PSU wattage. A slight OC on the CPU/GPU will not significantly increase your power requirements; I would bump up the amps on the 12V rail by a few.

A couple of suggestions:
1. Corsair TX650 V2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... This is a great deal after the reabat and more than sufficient for your build.
2. Coolermaster Silent Pro 600W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
3. XFX Pro 550W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
4. Antec HCG 620W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The best deal right now in the recommendations that I gave is definitely the Corsair TX650 V2 and that is the PSU that I recommend for you.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 31, 2012 1:19:20 PM

My only comment and it is tangential, is your amd vrs. intel is not dead on the money. Amd video with Amd graphics yields no comparability benefits. Since taking advantage of the 8 cores is software dependent mostly, I am interested in what you plan to run that would give this cpu @125w any advantage over say an i2500k @ 95w(about the same cost) or an i53570k @77w (a bit more expensive). I have used many AMD cpu's over the years but in the last few I have found Intel products the better design. As a real aside, AMD has issue statements to investors and the public indicating they will migrate away from the performance cpu market and concentrate on value-low power devices for the ever growing mobile and portable market. Most of the high end cpu designers have left the company. The cpu you chose is a very good one and I agree with the PSU recommendations you have been given. Just wanted to toss my 2 cents in.
m
l
May 31, 2012 1:20:33 PM

Maziar said:
Hello and welcome to the forums
CM 850 is a decent PSU but I'd recommend going with a Corsair HX750/850 instead.They're better.
And yes,your system specs are fine.(but don't expect to max out all games on 1080p)

Firstly, thanks.
Now that you said not to expect max out of gaming, what do u recommend for 1080p gaming?
I heard that going with two medium range gpu in crossfire mode would handle gaming and multitasking better than one single high end gpu. Is that true?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 31, 2012 1:38:49 PM

"I heard that going with two medium range gpu in crossfire mode would handle gaming and multitasking better than one single high end gpu. Is that true?"

Depends on what day it is. No, seriously, there is alot of debate about this because using two GPUs results in microstutter, something that can't be avoided. So depending on who you talk to, or what review you read, one person says get two2 of A, and another says get one of B. It also depends on your monitor setup. Multi-monitor setups almost beg for multiple GPU's, whereas a single monitor just doesn't need them.

I fall into the camp of getting one higher-end card in the $200 price range, and running a single larger monitor (24" or 27"). Spending more than 200 or so on a video card is just chasing diminishing returns IMO.
m
l
May 31, 2012 1:39:47 PM

Dogsnake said:

The cpu you chose is a very good one and I agree with the PSU recommendations you have been given. Just wanted to toss my 2 cents in.

Chose AMD because i heard that it's better at multitasking than the same priced intel. Yeah, i've been using intel pc's for now. Two of them are lying around. Never really tried amd. So going for a little change
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 31, 2012 1:45:43 PM

I personally prefer single higher-end GPUs over CF/SLI setups. Lower power requirements, quieter operation, and a single higher-end can provide similar performance over a comparably priced CF/CLI setup; especially at your gaming resolution. Compare a GTX 570 to an HD6850 CF.

For your gaming resolution I think you should take a serious look at this XFX HD6950 2GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It's $199.99 after MIR; i'd call this sucker the price/performance King right now. The 1GB version plays all the most intensive games over 30FPS at your resolution with high/ultra settings; the extra memory will have a definite performance boost over the 1GB version, especially for the higher settings that you want to run. Article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 31, 2012 2:19:26 PM

eversmilinggoutham said:
Firstly, thanks.
Now that you said not to expect max out of gaming, what do u recommend for 1080p gaming?
I heard that going with two medium range gpu in crossfire mode would handle gaming and multitasking better than one single high end gpu. Is that true?

I personally prefer one high end card compare to 2 mid range cards because the the driver support is better(after owning a 4870x2/5970 I went back to a single card).
Less noise/power.
And finally,not all games work well with dual GPUs(sometimes you may have to wait for a new driver/profile in order to benefit from more than 1 GPU)
I recommend something like GTX 670/HD 7950 for 1080p gaming
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 31, 2012 2:30:28 PM

I agree with Maziar that the 7950/670 are great cards with low power consumption and outstanding performance.

The issue is that they cost around $400; you're certainly not getting twice the performance of a 6950 with either of these cards. You can spend half the money of a GTX670/HD7950 and get most of the performance with the XFX HD6950 2GB.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 31, 2012 2:42:41 PM

Since multi card use is a software solution in an ever changing environment of game code and hardware platforms, problems are present. Here is a link to a very informative article that explains some of these issues (http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516). I have always recommended buying a "better" single gpu card than a multi set up. Also there is usually thermal and air flow advantages to the single card. Even the 2 in 1 single chassis cards have higher temps one one of the gpus. Given the video processing power of the top single cards I think it is the best way to go unless you monitor(s) and resolution need more. Also FPS is just one measurement since most modern displays work at a refresh of 60Hz you are not going to get more than that visually.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 31, 2012 3:00:57 PM

Rugger said:
I agree with Maziar that the 7950/670 are great cards with low power consumption and outstanding performance.

The issue is that they cost around $400; you're certainly not getting twice the performance of a 6950 with either of these cards. You can spend half the money of a GTX670/HD7950 and get most of the performance with the XFX HD6950 2GB.

Yes I forgot about the 6950.It offers a great performance for it's price
m
l
May 31, 2012 4:01:16 PM

abekl said:
using two GPUs results in microstutter, something that can't be avoided.

Now, after doing some research regarding microstutter, iam really not intlo multiple gpu. Decided to go with HD7000 series.

But take a look at this. It's worth it. I stumbled on this moments ago. These guys claim to have reduced the effects of microstutter. A real relief for others having the problem. Here are the links

www.overclock.net/t/1203863/permanant-microstutter-fix

www.ultimatecomputers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=364...

Hope this helps them
Has any one tried it? Did u notice any change??
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 1, 2012 1:23:02 AM

All they are doing is locking down the frame rate to the refresh rate of the monitor. It does not eliminate the multi card issues as the occur in the software solution for syncing two cards. What this does is de-tune the system so you do not notice it. Roughly if your car has out of balance wheels that become noticeable at say 70mph and you choose to drive only at 55 where the effect is not noticeable, you could say you have eliminated the problem. However the wheels are still out of balance. Also 6950's are no longer produced and are getting very rare with prices going up. Owners (I am one) who now want to xfire are buying what is available.
m
l
!