PSP to WiFi with PS3

The PlayStationPortable (PSP) will wirelessly interface with the PS3.
XFLop Next is dead before it even gets out of the gate. Go ahead, weepy
little XFLop Fanfairies, use the infantile rationalization that this is
a "panic troll". Poor inept little goons, can't even distinguish
between a supposed panic post and a post that is expressing sheer
contempt and loathing of putrid meatheads.

US Patent Number 20040266529
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&p=1&S1=20040266529.PGNR.&OS=DN/20040266529&RS=DN/20040266529
20 answers Last reply
More about wifi

    Bilgecunt wrote:

    > The PSP will wirelessly interface with the PS3.

    Oh, rapture! A device for turning a PS3 on/off from the couch. That
    clinches it: I'm preordering the PSP today!

    --
    A dope trailer is no place for a kitty!

    Chareth Cutestory <bjd@com.net.org> wrote:

    > Oh, rapture! A device for turning a PS3 on/off from the couch. That
    > clinches it: I'm preordering the PSP today!

    Personally, I'd love to be able to turn on/off the console from the
    couch. Not that this is a make-or-break feature for me.
  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    > Chareth Cutestory <bjd@com.net.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, rapture! A device for turning a PS3 on/off from the couch. That
    >> clinches it: I'm preordering the PSP today!
    >
    > Personally, I'd love to be able to turn on/off the console from the
    > couch. Not that this is a make-or-break feature for me.

    You would think that if they were going to make a remote control for a
    console, like in the DVD playback kit, that it would have an on off switch
    for the console itself. Crazy thinking eh?

    "ItsKanetastic29 \(aka Union Kane\)" <itskanetastic29.nospam@telvs.net> wrote:

    > Yov wovld think that if they were going to make a remote control for a
    > console, like in the DVD playback kit, that it wovld have an on off switch
    > for the console itself. Crazy thinking eh?

    Yeah, I (and many others) were svrprised that the DVD remote didn't inclvde
    a power bvtton.

    Hopefvlly this is something that all the next gen consoles will implement
    - especially with things like wireless controllers and large screen TVs
    becoming more and more popvlar.

    How things change... When my family got the 2600, ovr parents made vs pack
    it vp after we were done playing it each time. When we heard abovt some
    families that jvst left the thing attached to the TV all the time, we
    thovght they were crazy. Now a days, I'm svre most of vs wovldn't dream of
    disconnecting their console after a session. I'm svre ovr kids will look
    back and lavgh when we tell them abovt how we had to swap discs or
    cartridges when we wanted to play a different game, or how we had to vse
    *wires* to connect the console to ovr TV and stereo system.

    "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The PlayStationPortable (PSP) will wirelessly interface with the PS3.
    > XFLop Next is dead before it even gets out of the gate.

    How do you figure? Even if the PS3 is a big hit, XBox Next will still sell
    loads. It will sell more than the XBox, and will do just fine. There is room
    for two game systems. Just not room for three.

    "Dovg Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    > "ItsKanetastic29 \(aka Union Kane\)" <itskanetastic29.nospam@telvs.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Yov wovld think that if they were going to make a remote control for a
    >> console, like in the DVD playback kit, that it wovld have an on off
    >> switch
    >> for the console itself. Crazy thinking eh?
    >
    > Yeah, I (and many others) were svrprised that the DVD remote didn't
    > inclvde
    > a power bvtton.
    >
    > Hopefvlly this is something that all the next gen consoles will implement
    > - especially with things like wireless controllers and large screen TVs
    > becoming more and more popvlar.
    >
    > How things change... When my family got the 2600, ovr parents made vs
    > pack
    > it vp after we were done playing it each time. When we heard abovt some
    > families that jvst left the thing attached to the TV all the time, we
    > thovght they were crazy. Now a days, I'm svre most of vs wovldn't dream
    > of
    > disconnecting their console after a session. I'm svre ovr kids will look
    > back and lavgh when we tell them abovt how we had to swap discs or
    > cartridges when we wanted to play a different game

    That wovld be sweet if yov covld load the games onto say a hard drive on
    yovr pc and tvrn on yov Xbox with a remote and scan the HD for what game yov
    wnated to play. If I am not mistaken this can be done with a modded Xbox.
    Games are loaded on the hard drive and there is a hack for remote on off.

    >, or how we had to vse
    > *wires*

    That wont be changing anytime soon.

    >to connect the console to ovr TV and stereo system.

    --
    XBL GamerTag: RKRM

    XBL Games: XIII, Bvrnovt 3: Takedown, Covnter-Strike, Crimson Skies: High
    Road to Revenge, ESPN Major Leagve Baseball, ESPN NFL 2K5, ESPN NHL 2K5,
    Ghost Recon, GhostRecon2, Halo2, Links 2004, MechAssavlt, Midtown Madness 3,
    NBA 2K3, Rainbow Six 3, Top Spin, Unreal Championship, Xbox Live Arcade

    http://vsers.ign.com/collection/RKR

    "Gooserider" <noway@mousepotato.com> wrote in message

    > "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> The PlayStationPortable (PSP) will wirelessly interface with the PS3.
    >> XFLop Next is dead before it even gets out of the gate.
    >
    > How do you figure? Even if the PS3 is a big hit, XBox Next will still sell
    > loads. It will sell more than the XBox, and will do just fine. There is
    > room
    > for two game systems. Just not room for three.

    At $400 and no pack in game, why would you think either of the next gen
    systems would outsell the Xbox? Just curious.

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > "Gooserider" <noway@mousepotato.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> The PlayStationPortable (PSP) will wirelessly interface with the PS3.
    >>> XFLop Next is dead before it even gets out of the gate.
    >>
    >> How do you figure? Even if the PS3 is a big hit, XBox Next will still
    >> sell
    >> loads. It will sell more than the XBox, and will do just fine. There is
    >> room
    >> for two game systems. Just not room for three.
    >>

    > At $400 and no pack in game, why would you think either of the next gen
    > systems would outsell the Xbox? Just curious.

    PS3 will be 400 bones? First I have heard this. Wow. Too much.

    --
    XBL GamerTag: RKRM

    XBL Games: XIII, Burnout 3: Takedown, Counter-Strike, Crimson Skies: High
    Road to Revenge, ESPN Major League Baseball, ESPN NFL 2K5, ESPN NHL 2K5,
    Ghost Recon, GhostRecon2, Halo2, Links 2004, MechAssault, Midtown Madness 3,
    NBA 2K3, Rainbow Six 3, Top Spin, Unreal Championship, Xbox Live Arcade

    http://users.ign.com/collection/RKR

    RKRM wrote:
    > That would be sweet if you could load the games onto say a hard drive
    on
    > your pc and turn on you Xbox with a remote and scan the HD for what
    game you
    > wnated to play. If I am not mistaken this can be done with a modded
    Xbox.
    > Games are loaded on the hard drive and there is a hack for remote on
    off.

    Since people aren't reading the patent first before commenting, the
    functions it describes go far beyond a simple universal remote control
    (which is what Microsoft's Gates tried to show during CES 2005 and it
    didn't work) or game synching. Just one of the functions described in
    the patent is to use the processing power of the central unit, PC or
    PS3, to supplement the games processing on the portable. Also, it is
    about streaming media from the central unit. Here is an article that
    spells out the features in more readable form than a patent, but now it
    is patented so if Microsoft tries to copy it, they will have to pay
    royalties:

    http://news.com.com/Sony+eyes+wireless+PSP+connections/2100-1047_3-5545380.html?tag=st.rn

    Sony eyes wireless PSP connections
    January 21, 2005

    Sony's new PlayStation Portable could download games via public Wi-Fi
    hot spots and swap content with the living room version of the
    PlayStation.

    Those and other scenarios are described in a recently published patent
    application that cites numerous possible methods for wirelessly
    connecting a portable game machine with various types of
    Internet-connected devices.

    Patent application 20040266529 was filed in June 2003 by Masayuki
    Chatani, senior vice president of the Broadband Strategy Group of Sony
    Computer Entertainment, and assigned to Sony Computer Entertainment
    America. The application was published three weeks ago by the U.S.
    Patent and Trademark Office.

    A SCEA representative did not immediately respond to a request for
    comment.

    The application describes several methods for using wireless
    connections to expand the functionality of a portable game machine.
    Sony entered the portable game market last month with the PlayStation
    Portable, which includes wireless-networking capability via an 802.11b
    Wi-Fi connection. Currently available only in Japan, the PSP
    tentatively is set to arrive in North America by late March.

    Sony executives have talked broadly about using the PSP for functions
    besides playing games stored on the company's Universal Media Disc
    format, but the patent application goes well beyond any public
    discussions.

    The application describes a number of scenarios for connecting a
    portable game player to a "base computing device," which could be a PC,
    a central server or an advanced game console such as the upcoming
    PlayStation 3.

    Under one scenario, the central computer would be used as a "content
    execution server," processing chunks of software code too complex for
    the portable gadget to crunch.

    "The content execution server will act as a base computing device that
    will execute program instructions of the game and then transmit, via
    the wireless transceiver,...processed active program instructions

    to the portable game device," according to the application. "By
    preprocessing the game instructions at the content execution
    server...the receiving devices will not be required to have robust
    processing circuitry, which is commonly required to execute typical
    game programs that involve sophisticated mathematical operations,
    lighting adjustments, and graphics...The receiving device can
    concentrate on providing video display and providing audio output to
    the user."

    The application goes on to describe a number of methods for using a
    wireless connection to download content to a portable device to get
    around limited storage and processing capacity on a handheld gadget. In
    one scenario, games and other content would be stored on a central
    server and uploaded to the portable device when needed.

    "In addition to games, it should be understood that the data being held
    by the content execution server may also include other digital data,"
    according to the application. "Examples of other digital data may
    include, but (are) not limited to, movies, DVD data, music, or other
    entertainment or business digital content."

    Sony executives have spoken broadly about using the PSP as a multimedia
    device. In a recent interview with CNET News.com, Sony Corporation of
    America CEO Howard Stringer spoke of the PSP as a key tool for
    broadening the reach of Sony's Connect music service and other media
    ventures.

    A server connection could also be used for e-commerce, enabling gadget
    owners to buy games and other content or rent games that would be good
    for a limited number of uses.

    While the application most frequently cites PCs and living room game
    consoles as server connections, it also envisions Wi-Fi on the go.

    "In today's wired world, many users are able to access hot spots free
    of charge in many locations such as coffeehouses, airports, gas
    stations, and the like," according to the application. "Once the user
    is close enough to the access point, the user can log in to the
    Internet server and use their previously purchased games or purchase
    new games for entertainment. In another embodiment, the remote access
    user can access their own video games that are stored on their home
    system, such as the content execution server or a game CD loaded into a
    game console."

    "RKRM" <rkrm@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Gooserider" <noway@mousepotato.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> How do you figure? Even if the PS3 is a big hit, XBox Next will still
    >>> sell
    >>> loads. It will sell more than the XBox, and will do just fine. There is
    >>> room
    >>> for two game systems. Just not room for three.
    >>>

    >> At $400 and no pack in game, why would you think either of the next gen
    >> systems would outsell the Xbox? Just curious.
    >
    > PS3 will be 400 bones? First I have heard this. Wow. Too much.

    A couple of people posted a link but I can't find it off hand. I remember
    that I made a comment about that price being out of the "impulse buy" range
    but I don't remember what thread. For that price, there is no way I will
    get it at launch until I am well confident in its library.

    Blig Merk wrote:

    > Since people aren't reading the patent first before commenting

    What? You mean someone isn't bothering to read a link in one of your posts?
    I wonder if that could have anything to do with the fact no one sees you
    anything as a retarded shiteating troll? Maybe? Y'think? Hmm? Possibly?
    Yeah?

    > Sony's new PlayStation Portable could download games via public Wi-Fi
    > hot spots and swap content with the living room version of the
    > PlayStation.

    Anyone who thinks the PSP+PS2/PS3 connectivity to its logical conclusion
    would assume this, since it's an extension of what Nintendo has been doing
    with the GBA/Cube all along. And Nintendo already announced plans to make it
    possible to download DS game content/demos via wireless hotspots in stores
    and whatnot. Sony's patent aside, I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't do
    essentially the same thing with the DS (or next version of the Game Boy) and
    the Revolution.

    It's a cool idea and it will be interesting to see it in action. That
    doesn't change the fact that a) this has nothing to do with the Xbox, and b)
    you're a retarded shiteating troll.

    -Z-

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > "Gooserider" <noway@mousepotato.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> The PlayStationPortable (PSP) will wirelessly interface with the PS3.
    > >> XFLop Next is dead before it even gets out of the gate.
    > >
    > > How do you figure? Even if the PS3 is a big hit, XBox Next will still
    sell
    > > loads. It will sell more than the XBox, and will do just fine. There is
    > > room
    > > for two game systems. Just not room for three.
    > >

    > At $400 and no pack in game, why would you think either of the next gen
    > systems would outsell the Xbox? Just curious.

    That's quite a bite out of one's finances, but there will still be people
    lined up outside Best Buy on launch day for both systems. There will be a
    price cut at 6 months, of course. If initial sales don't meet expectations,
    you know both megacorporations will immediately cut prices or create
    bundles, anyway. :-)

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Gooserider" <noway@mousepotato.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > How do you figure? Even if the PS3 is a big hit, XBox Next will still
    > sell
    >> > loads. It will sell more than the XBox, and will do just fine. There is
    >> > room
    >> > for two game systems. Just not room for three.
    >> >

    >> At $400 and no pack in game, why would you think either of the next gen
    >> systems would outsell the Xbox? Just curious.
    >
    > That's quite a bite out of one's finances, but there will still be people
    > lined up outside Best Buy on launch day for both systems. There will be a
    > price cut at 6 months, of course. If initial sales don't meet
    > expectations,
    > you know both megacorporations will immediately cut prices or create
    > bundles, anyway. :-)

    Oh I agree wholeheartedly but I just think that with the cost of the systems
    and the increase in game prices, we won't necessarily see the numbers from
    the prior generation.

    It only makes sense since Nintendo wants to do something similar
    between their next platform and the next Gameboy (not the DS... they
    have another one planned.)

    Since Microsoft doesn't make a hand-held at this point I don't see how
    it's relevant.

    - Jordan

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:01:27 -0800, "RKRM" <rkrm@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote:
    >"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    >> How things change... When my family got the 2600, our parents made us
    >> pack
    >> it up after we were done playing it each time. When we heard about some
    >> families that just left the thing attached to the TV all the time, we
    >> thought they were crazy. Now a days, I'm sure most of us wouldn't dream
    >> of
    >> disconnecting their console after a session. I'm sure our kids will look
    >> back and laugh when we tell them about how we had to swap discs or
    >> cartridges when we wanted to play a different game
    >
    >That would be sweet if you could load the games onto say a hard drive on
    >your pc and turn on you Xbox with a remote and scan the HD for what game you
    >wnated to play. If I am not mistaken this can be done with a modded Xbox.
    >Games are loaded on the hard drive and there is a hack for remote on off.

    That's correct, games can currently be loaded directly from the hard
    drive, for emulators and otherwise. And when you're done, a specific key combo
    can be used to reboot the XBox memory, from which you can enter the 'Power Off'
    command through the menu.

    And before any omars jump in with their "you must be a thief, because I
    can only think of stealing" responses, I'll point out that it's a lot easier to
    find a replacement IDE hard drive (which doesn't fail that often), than a
    replacement XBox-specific DVD drive.

    --
    I've gone to look for myself. If I should get back before I return, keep me here!

    >"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >> At $400 and no pack in game, why would you think either of the next gen
    >> systems would outsell the Xbox? Just curious.

    I've seen this new "$400 launch price" mentioned as fact a few times
    now, but I have yet to see a source for that statement. Is there one? I know
    about the EA exec who speculated that hardware and software prices might be
    going up for consoles, but have yet to see anything more certain.

    --

    David Oldridge <david.oldridge2001_no_longer_valid@rogers.com> wrote:
    > I've seen this new "$400 launch price" mentioned as fact a few times
    > now, but I have yet to see a source for that statement. Is there one? I know
    > about the EA exec who speculated that hardware and software prices might be
    > going up for consoles, but have yet to see anything more certain.

    It's still speculation. I've seen a couple of articles from people
    pulling ideas out of their ass and both have said they could see XBox2
    going for $400 or more.

    Realistically though, I find the idea of a console launching at more than
    $300 a bit incredulous. However, as Microsoft has not said anything yet
    about pricing, or even about their hardware, we're just going to have to
    wait.

    > David Oldridge <david.oldridge2001_no_longer_valid@rogers.com> wrote:
    >> I've seen this new "$400 launch price" mentioned as fact a few
    >> times
    >> now, but I have yet to see a source for that statement. Is there one? I
    >> know
    >> about the EA exec who speculated that hardware and software prices might
    >> be
    >> going up for consoles, but have yet to see anything more certain.
    >
    > It's still speculation. I've seen a couple of articles from people
    > pulling ideas out of their ass and both have said they could see XBox2
    > going for $400 or more.
    >
    > Realistically though, I find the idea of a console launching at more than
    > $300 a bit incredulous. However, as Microsoft has not said anything yet
    > about pricing, or even about their hardware, we're just going to have to
    > wait.

    Actually, I though MS was the only one to talk about price. Didn't they say
    the bare bones Xbox2 would retail for around $300 and the other versions
    would increase from there?

    I expect to see EA's games go up as they look to stick it to their customers
    to offset their desperate move for exclusive NFL rights.

    That's why they're raising their prices, but this won't be the case across
    the board. The Sega football games have better graphics and even better
    AI -- especially in the passing game. It's their business to gamble and buy
    up the NFL and NFLPA rights. But that doesn't mean I'll switch ti an
    inferior product just because the names on the plaers jersey's change.

    "David Oldridge" <david.oldridge2001_no_longer_valid@rogers.com> wrote in
    message news:kj3101hhp0k03jbk33if0b1l63hlo7pioj@4ax.com...

    "freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
    > I expect to see EA's games go up as they look to stick it to their
    customers
    > to offset their desperate move for exclusive NFL rights.
    >
    > That's why they're raising their prices, but this won't be the case across
    > the board. The Sega football games have better graphics and even better
    > AI -- especially in the passing game.

    Better AI? Hahahhahahaha. ESPN Football is reknowned for their moronic DB AI
    (pssst, in the PASSING game).

    EA's move wasn't desperate. It was smart, and it was the same move all their
    competition made. EA was just smart enough to outbid everyone else. And now
    the Sega fanboys(soon to be Take Two fanboys) cry. Cry, babies, cry. It's
    fun to watch.

    Skye

Console Gaming PlayStation WiFi and Home Networking Video Games Product