Sign in with
Your question

Need an Ultrabook or new laptop!

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2012 8:47:05 PM

I'm new at the forums and hope this is the right place for this thread. Anyway...

I have recently entered the new laptop market.
Here's what I believe I will need:

• Storage – Must be SSD - Size/Capacity does not matter as long as it's above or is 120 Gigabytes. However, more is better.
• Screen Size – Must be above 13", but no larger than 15.6. Anything in between should be fine.
• Profile – Thinner than or as thick as an inch, but not too much more (I can be pretty flexible on this).
• Portability – Shouldn’t be too heavy. I need to be able to carry around in a backpack.
• RAM – 4 Gigabytes as the bare minimum. Once again, more is better.
• Processor – I’m an Intel person and would love an i5 Processor.
• Battery Life – I’m a student, I would probably need about 6 hours (on low power, just using Microsoft Word). I have realistic expectations on this and realize that while gaming or using other processor intensive and graphics intensive tasks that it shouldn’t be much longer than 3 hours (Is that right?).
• Bluetooth – In this world, obviously a necessity.
• Wi-Fi – This should support up to 108.11n, for future proof reasons. I will be using 108.11g as that is the highest setting my AT&T U-Verse router will support.
• Screen – HD would be great, but I don’t need a great screen. I will not be doing a lot of photo or video editing, etc.
• Ports – More is better, but I will definitely need: 2 USBs, some sort of VGA out (mini-VGA would be fine) and a way to use an Ethernet (Cat 5e) cable in case of Wi-Fi failure or no Wi-Fi available.

This laptop will mostly be used for browsing the internet, email, Microsoft Office applications (Mostly Word, PowerPoint and a little bit of Excel), and some light gaming (Online games as well as some Minecraft). This will be a very school based laptop.

What are you recommendations? Personal experience/tips would be greatly appreciated. Lighter is better. I may be pairing this with a custom built desktop I am also looking to build, which would take some of the load off the laptop. I have looked at all kinds of things: Dell XPS 15z, ASUS Zenbook (loved this except for the keyboard), and I might even jump ship to swim for the boat with a silver apple on it.

Thanks in advance for all your help! :) 

More about : ultrabook laptop

February 21, 2012 12:29:48 AM

Nilokster said:
Well, you pretty much just described a MacBook Air! But if you aren't into the Apple scene, then this might suit you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Also, there is a $50 rebate if you're into that.

What do you think about the new Dell XPS 13? I've been reading about this and this seems like it would be generally what I need. I think this is what I have my crosshairs set on. Here are a few links:

February 21, 2012 1:35:33 AM

It's up to you man. This looks just as good as the one I linked for you! Seeing as it will be about the same performance (if you stick with the i5), then the only difference is the chasis. It's up to you, they're both solid choice, with the Air as another great option.
!