Sign in with
Your question
Solved

~$450 low-end gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2012 9:10:48 PM

My 6-year-old Pentium 4 machine is at death's door, so I decided it was time to bite the bullet and put together a new computer. It'll mainly be used for games and movies, but I'm not a hardcore PC gamer and I don't play the really cutting edge stuff. I'm just looking for a lower-end machine that has some wiggle room for future upgrades.

Purchase Date: Within the next few days.

Budget Range: $400-$500 before rebates.

System Usage: Gaming, home theater, software development.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, optical drive, monitor, speakers, and two hard drives. Everything else is too old to be worth salvaging, with the possible exception of some case fans.

Preferred Website for Parts: Newegg, though I could be convinced otherwise.

Parts Preference: None in particular.

Overclocking: No.

SLI/Crossfire: No.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1280

Additional Comments: This PC is going to sit in the living room, so I'd like it to be fairly quiet.

Based on some preliminary research, here's what I put together.

Mobo: ASRock Z68M
CPU: Intel Core i3-2120
Memory: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Video: ASUS Radeon HD 6770
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550W
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Does this seem like a reasonable setup? The main part I'm concerned about is the PSU, since I'm not really sure what I should be looking for other than a vague idea of the power requirements, but I'm open to suggestions on the other parts too. Also, am I likely to need additional cooling?

Much obliged for any advice you can give me.

More about : 450 low end gaming

February 13, 2012 9:12:43 PM

LyricalAura said:
My 6-year-old Pentium 4 machine is at death's door, so I decided it was time to bite the bullet and put together a new computer. It'll mainly be used for games and movies, but I'm not a hardcore PC gamer and I don't play the really cutting edge stuff. I'm just looking for a lower-end machine that has some wiggle room for future upgrades.

Purchase Date: Within the next few days.

Budget Range: $400-$500 before rebates.

System Usage: Gaming, home theater, software development.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, optical drive, monitor, speakers, and two hard drives. Everything else is too old to be worth salvaging, with the possible exception of some case fans.

Preferred Website for Parts: Newegg, though I could be convinced otherwise.

Parts Preference: None in particular.

Overclocking: No.

SLI/Crossfire: No.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1280

Additional Comments: This PC is going to sit in the living room, so I'd like it to be fairly quiet.

Based on some preliminary research, here's what I put together.

Mobo: ASRock Z68M
CPU: Intel Core i3-2120
Memory: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Video: ASUS Radeon HD 6770
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550W
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Does this seem like a reasonable setup? The main part I'm concerned about is the PSU, since I'm not really sure what I should be looking for other than a vague idea of the power requirements, but I'm open to suggestions on the other parts too. Also, am I likely to need additional cooling?

Much obliged for any advice you can give me.

That is a decent low end cost system. Do you need an OS? Win 7 64 bit is $99 OEM
m
l
February 13, 2012 9:15:49 PM

QuietPC said:
That is a decent low end cost system. Do you need an OS? Win 7 64 bit is $99 OEM

Nope, I had Windows 7 on the old machine, so I'm good as long as it doesn't get too cranky about switching hardware.
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2012 9:16:55 PM

LyricalAura said:
Nope, I had Windows 7 on the old machine, so I'm good as long as it doesn't get too cranky about switching hardware.

You will need to re-register it. If it was OEM then they will not let you.
m
l
February 13, 2012 9:30:50 PM

QuietPC said:
You will need to re-register it. If it was OEM then they will not let you.

Hm, should be okay then. In the worst case scenario, my university sells it for about $20.

Actually, now that I think about it, the version I have is 32-bit. Is that going to play nicely with the hardware, or will I need to upgrade?
m
l
February 13, 2012 11:22:16 PM

LyricalAura said:
Hm, should be okay then. In the worst case scenario, my university sells it for about $20.

Actually, now that I think about it, the version I have is 32-bit. Is that going to play nicely with the hardware, or will I need to upgrade?

32 Bit uses only max of 4 gigs of ram. So if you had 100 gigs in it it would only ever show 4 max. 64 bit on the other hand can show and use 138 gigs max i think? But most people do not use more then 8 some use 16 or higher but it does happen and depends on what your system is for. For most games 8 is enough.
m
l
February 13, 2012 11:38:30 PM

Check out the $400 build in my signature. It's slightly more powerful if you change the CPU out to an i3.
m
l
February 14, 2012 12:57:32 AM

TheRandomWookie said:
I recommend this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Due to the promotional code, lower price, and lower shipping you can save a couple bucks. With that extra cash I recommend upgrading to 8GB of RAM, it's so cheap it's stupid not to. Finally if you can sqeeze some more money out, I recommend getting a Radeon 6850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It'll move you up another tier.

The buzzing noise people are reporting in the reviews for that PSU is a deal breaker for me. I'll consider the Radeon 6850 though. Didn't realize it was only $30 more.
m
l

Best solution

February 14, 2012 1:35:01 AM

LyricalAura said:
Aside from it costing about $10-$15 more, what's the argument against getting the 1600? Would it be more worthwhile performance-wise to drop to 1333 RAM and use the money to bump up the video card?

Both the HyperX Grey and the Ripjaws I linked too are both 1600 RAM, only the Ripjaws are a more reliable ram and are 10-15 less than the HyperX Grey
February 14, 2012 1:46:02 AM

samuelspark said:
Check out the $400 build in my signature. It's slightly more powerful if you change the CPU out to an i3.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually considered that Biostar mobo before, but I want to have some SATA 3.0 connectors to take advantage of when I get around to upgrading the hard drives.
m
l
February 14, 2012 8:37:18 PM

Anything else unanswered or are you good to go?
m
l
February 15, 2012 12:26:23 AM

QuietPC said:
Anything else unanswered or are you good to go?

Parts are ordered, so I think I'm done for now. We'll see if I'm back in a few days with assembly issues.
m
l
February 15, 2012 12:27:40 AM

Best answer selected by LyricalAura.
m
l
!