Flyryan

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
I am a complete noob when it comes to graphics cards. I recently bought a ibuypower desktop with integrated graphics and I have an open PCI spot that I would like to stick a 1GB graphics card in there. But I am confused and I dont want to buy the wrong part so I am curious on what I should look for. I was going to purchase it from newegg.com, where I bought this desktop. The desktop I bought is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227367

I really only use this computer for games such as World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2. I really don't want to spend over $150.

I really appreciate the help. May suggest a specific card I can get? And maybe show me how to do it on my own? Thank you a ton guys, really appreciated. :)

Flyryan

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Thanks for the imput, but where my computer says it has 1 of 1 x PCI-Express x16 and a 1 x PCI-Express 2.0 x1 I can put anything PCI express there? The whole x16 confuses me.

PCXSLOTS.GIF

This shows the difference between the ports on the motherboard. PCI Express x16 is for graphics cards, and only that one. AGP is also for graphics cards, yet it is an older port and not seen very often anymore. The PCI and PCI Express x1,2 and,4 are for expansion cards, for like sound cards and networking cards.

A GTX560Ti or a Radeon 6950 would be a nice upgrade, yet if price is a priority, then there are definitely other options we can suggest for you. I am assuming there is an adequate power supply in the computer, since it is from a gaming-based computer builder.