Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Any major difference between Nvidia and Radeon?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 15, 2011 8:43:30 PM



Does AMD/Radeon do things better than Nvidia or vice versa? I see "optimized for Nvidia cards" or optimized for PhysicsX and so fourth. I've bought Radeons for a while but definitely not a fanboy. Are they pretty much equal to the naked eye?
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 15, 2011 8:49:41 PM

Pretty much the same really , the difference that stands out is that Nvidia has Physx and Cuda on their cards, and thats only relative if you want these features,but as far as performance and image quality go they are same same, just comes down to the model you choose.
Score
0
December 15, 2011 8:51:44 PM

monsta said:
Pretty much the same really , the difference that stands out is that Nvidia has Physx and Cuda on their cards, and thats only relative if you want these features,but as far as performance and image quality go they are same same, just comes down to the model you choose.



Do games taje advantage of Physx or not enough to really hit you in the face...like those in your pic??? :lol:  :pt1cable: 
Score
0
Related resources
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 15, 2011 8:55:02 PM

Hahaha

Theres not a huge library of Physx enabled games, so if you aren't playing them you are'nt missing anything.
If you are playing Batman, that is Physx enabled and will only matter to you if you want the extra details in explosions , fabric detail, etc.
Best thing is to look at some videos on youtube and compare for yourself if its worth it to you.
Score
0
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a c 118 À AMD
December 15, 2011 8:58:32 PM

More or less the same.

1. Some complain that AMD does not update drivers a quickly as nVidia.
2. AMD video cards tends to use less power than nvidia cards.
3. AMD switched over to PCI-e 2.1 in the middle of the Radeon HD 5xxx production while nVidia cards are still PCI-e 2.0 cards. Some motherboards with only PCI-e 1.0 / 1.1 slots are not compatible with PCI-e 2.1 cards.
Score
0
December 15, 2011 8:58:40 PM

monsta said:
Hahaha

Theres not a huge library of Physx enabled games, so if you aren't playing them you are'nt missing anything.
If you are playing Batman, that is Physx enabled and will only matter to you if you want the extra details in explosions , fabric detail, etc.
Best thing is to look at some videos on youtube and compare for yourself if its worth it to you.



Nope, don't play that...I play Civ 5, Cities XL 2011, and APB Reloaded.
Score
0
December 15, 2011 9:07:35 PM

monsta said:
Here is a list of the physx enabled games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX


Nope, none are on the list that I play. I use to play City of Villians but that was over 1 yr ago.
Score
0
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
December 15, 2011 9:08:14 PM

mikeny said:
Nope, don't play that...I play Civ 5, Cities XL 2011, and APB Reloaded.


i'm not sure for now but last time i checked Civ 5 was heavily favoring nvidia card
Score
0
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 15, 2011 9:10:31 PM

Some games can favour or are optimised for Nvidia or AMD , good idea to look at gaming charts and compare the differences in the games you play most.
Score
0
December 15, 2011 9:21:56 PM

monsta said:
Some games can favour or are optimised for Nvidia or AMD , good idea to look at gaming charts and compare the differences in the games you play most.


Wow, it's a tough choice. I was looking on newegg, seems the 570 and 560 ti are still 2.0. I've had a Radeon since the 9700 back in the 90's. I do like eye candy :D  Like in my other post, I was all set to wait for the 7xxx and even look for Kepler but my system is slowly failing at the present time. With the estimated prices of the 7xxx, it's making me turn away and just get something now and perhaps a year or when prices go down; look at 7xxx. I wonder if Nvidia still has the step up program. Maybe get a 570 and move up to Kepler or just get a 6970 and for me to shut up lol....being torn in a million places! Like I said, I like eye candy and love realistic simulations etc Cities XL 2011 (it's my new SimCity drug lol).
Score
0

Best solution

a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 15, 2011 9:25:56 PM

I just hate waiting to making a choice and then end up having second thoughts, best to get the card you really want now. I would personally get a 570 or a 6970 if you want excellent performance with all the eye candy. I wouldnt worry about the 2.0 and 2.1 difference if theres any at all.
A 6950 is also a good card and have the possibility of being unlocked to a 6970 but its not guarranteed and doesn't work with all 6950 cards.
Share
December 15, 2011 11:01:21 PM

Monsta you are a good poster.
Score
0
December 15, 2011 11:11:12 PM

Best answer selected by mikeny.
Score
0
!