GSM Coverage in Northwest Arkansas

Last response: in Technologies
March 18, 2005 11:39:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

I just recently got an upgrade offer from Cingular to upgrade to a new
GSM phone and plan. I currently have a GAIT phone and have a plan
with 350 anytime minutes and the 5000 N/W minutes. The two phones
they are offering in this upgrade offer are the LG C1300 or the
Motorola V220. Of course, I would have to sign a new 2 year
comittment offer and my current committment ends later this year. My
main concern is whether the GSM coverage is pretty good in the
Northwest Arkansas region (or for that matter, Arkansas overall).

I haven't researched it in a while, but how is GSM coming along in the
United States? If I were to go with this plan and I was traveling to
different areas of the U.S., where could I expect to not have service?

As far as phones go, which one of the above phones would be the best
to go with, if I chose this upgrade offer?

Thanks for any input on this.
Korey

More about : gsm coverage northwest arkansas

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:36:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:39:56 -0600, Korey Smith <ksmith56@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I just recently got an upgrade offer from Cingular to upgrade to a new
>GSM phone and plan. I currently have a GAIT phone and have a plan
>with 350 anytime minutes and the 5000 N/W minutes. The two phones
>they are offering in this upgrade offer are the LG C1300 or the
>Motorola V220. Of course, I would have to sign a new 2 year
>comittment offer and my current committment ends later this year. My
>main concern is whether the GSM coverage is pretty good in the
>Northwest Arkansas region (or for that matter, Arkansas overall).

Cingular pretty much has that area covered, now that they're overlays
are largely complete.

>I haven't researched it in a while, but how is GSM coming along in the
>United States? If I were to go with this plan and I was traveling to
>different areas of the U.S., where could I expect to not have service?

If you have Cingular, the odds are pretty good you'll have service in
decent-size areas. If you truly want the highest level of coverage
possible, then Verizon Wireless is who you want. Even they have
coverage gaps, but they're fewer.

>As far as phones go, which one of the above phones would be the best
>to go with, if I chose this upgrade offer?

Cingular will offer you a choice of phones. If you want to go to
Cingular GSM, look at the phone choices they offer, and then head to a
site like Phonescoop.com to compare phones side-by-side. That's way
too general a question to answer because some like camera phones, some
hate 'em, some just want voice, some want wireless Web and e-mail,
etc.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:31:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

I don't know about coverage in Arkansas but I would go with the V220 if i
were to take the offer. The V220 is a good phone with camera also.

I heard that GAIT phones gives the best coverage. But Cingular now has GSM
850MHz. I don't know if your older GAIT phone supports GSM 850MHz.

But I believe that you can get a new GSM phone with a 64k sim and ask
Cingular to continue to register the old GAIT phone's ENS in their network
so you can simply move the sim card to the old GAIT phone if needed. Can
anyone confirm this?

"Korey Smith" <ksmith56@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just recently got an upgrade offer from Cingular to upgrade to a new
> GSM phone and plan. I currently have a GAIT phone and have a plan
> with 350 anytime minutes and the 5000 N/W minutes. The two phones
> they are offering in this upgrade offer are the LG C1300 or the
> Motorola V220. Of course, I would have to sign a new 2 year
> comittment offer and my current committment ends later this year. My
> main concern is whether the GSM coverage is pretty good in the
> Northwest Arkansas region (or for that matter, Arkansas overall).
>
> I haven't researched it in a while, but how is GSM coming along in the
> United States? If I were to go with this plan and I was traveling to
> different areas of the U.S., where could I expect to not have service?
>
> As far as phones go, which one of the above phones would be the best
> to go with, if I chose this upgrade offer?
>

> Thanks for any input on this.
> Korey
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:05:25 PM

Richie wrote (3/18/2005 12:31 PM):

> I don't know about coverage in Arkansas but I would go with the V220 if i
> were to take the offer. The V220 is a good phone with camera also.
>
> I heard that GAIT phones gives the best coverage. But Cingular now has GSM
> 850MHz. I don't know if your older GAIT phone supports GSM 850MHz.

The Nokia 6340i is GSM 850 and 1900, TDMA 850 and 1900, and AMPS 850.

> But I believe that you can get a new GSM phone with a 64k sim and ask
> Cingular to continue to register the old GAIT phone's ENS in their network
> so you can simply move the sim card to the old GAIT phone if needed. Can
> anyone confirm this?

Correct, at least insofar as my personal experience with Cingular in New
England. I can't speak for anyone or anything other than that singular
Cingular experience.

--
RJW
!