GSM Coverage in Northwest Arkansas

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

I just recently got an upgrade offer from Cingular to upgrade to a new
GSM phone and plan. I currently have a GAIT phone and have a plan
with 350 anytime minutes and the 5000 N/W minutes. The two phones
they are offering in this upgrade offer are the LG C1300 or the
Motorola V220. Of course, I would have to sign a new 2 year
comittment offer and my current committment ends later this year. My
main concern is whether the GSM coverage is pretty good in the
Northwest Arkansas region (or for that matter, Arkansas overall).

I haven't researched it in a while, but how is GSM coming along in the
United States? If I were to go with this plan and I was traveling to
different areas of the U.S., where could I expect to not have service?

As far as phones go, which one of the above phones would be the best
to go with, if I chose this upgrade offer?

Thanks for any input on this.
Korey
3 answers Last reply
More about coverage northwest arkansas
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:39:56 -0600, Korey Smith <ksmith56@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I just recently got an upgrade offer from Cingular to upgrade to a new
    >GSM phone and plan. I currently have a GAIT phone and have a plan
    >with 350 anytime minutes and the 5000 N/W minutes. The two phones
    >they are offering in this upgrade offer are the LG C1300 or the
    >Motorola V220. Of course, I would have to sign a new 2 year
    >comittment offer and my current committment ends later this year. My
    >main concern is whether the GSM coverage is pretty good in the
    >Northwest Arkansas region (or for that matter, Arkansas overall).

    Cingular pretty much has that area covered, now that they're overlays
    are largely complete.

    >I haven't researched it in a while, but how is GSM coming along in the
    >United States? If I were to go with this plan and I was traveling to
    >different areas of the U.S., where could I expect to not have service?

    If you have Cingular, the odds are pretty good you'll have service in
    decent-size areas. If you truly want the highest level of coverage
    possible, then Verizon Wireless is who you want. Even they have
    coverage gaps, but they're fewer.

    >As far as phones go, which one of the above phones would be the best
    >to go with, if I chose this upgrade offer?

    Cingular will offer you a choice of phones. If you want to go to
    Cingular GSM, look at the phone choices they offer, and then head to a
    site like Phonescoop.com to compare phones side-by-side. That's way
    too general a question to answer because some like camera phones, some
    hate 'em, some just want voice, some want wireless Web and e-mail,
    etc.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    I don't know about coverage in Arkansas but I would go with the V220 if i
    were to take the offer. The V220 is a good phone with camera also.

    I heard that GAIT phones gives the best coverage. But Cingular now has GSM
    850MHz. I don't know if your older GAIT phone supports GSM 850MHz.

    But I believe that you can get a new GSM phone with a 64k sim and ask
    Cingular to continue to register the old GAIT phone's ENS in their network
    so you can simply move the sim card to the old GAIT phone if needed. Can
    anyone confirm this?

    "Korey Smith" <ksmith56@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I just recently got an upgrade offer from Cingular to upgrade to a new
    > GSM phone and plan. I currently have a GAIT phone and have a plan
    > with 350 anytime minutes and the 5000 N/W minutes. The two phones
    > they are offering in this upgrade offer are the LG C1300 or the
    > Motorola V220. Of course, I would have to sign a new 2 year
    > comittment offer and my current committment ends later this year. My
    > main concern is whether the GSM coverage is pretty good in the
    > Northwest Arkansas region (or for that matter, Arkansas overall).
    >
    > I haven't researched it in a while, but how is GSM coming along in the
    > United States? If I were to go with this plan and I was traveling to
    > different areas of the U.S., where could I expect to not have service?
    >
    > As far as phones go, which one of the above phones would be the best
    > to go with, if I chose this upgrade offer?
    >

    > Thanks for any input on this.
    > Korey
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    Richie wrote (3/18/2005 12:31 PM):

    > I don't know about coverage in Arkansas but I would go with the V220 if i
    > were to take the offer. The V220 is a good phone with camera also.
    >
    > I heard that GAIT phones gives the best coverage. But Cingular now has GSM
    > 850MHz. I don't know if your older GAIT phone supports GSM 850MHz.

    The Nokia 6340i is GSM 850 and 1900, TDMA 850 and 1900, and AMPS 850.

    > But I believe that you can get a new GSM phone with a 64k sim and ask
    > Cingular to continue to register the old GAIT phone's ENS in their network
    > so you can simply move the sim card to the old GAIT phone if needed. Can
    > anyone confirm this?

    Correct, at least insofar as my personal experience with Cingular in New
    England. I can't speak for anyone or anything other than that singular
    Cingular experience.

    --
    RJW

GSM Phones