Sign in with
Your question

My external hard disk is ready to use - but i cant find it in my computer

Last response: in Windows 7
January 7, 2012 7:48:02 PM

I'm having problem to detect my external hard drive. The same hard drive is working fine in other notebooks.
When i plug in thumb drive (testing usb), it's working fine and i can access it. my windows cant access any external hard drive. external hard drive is not appearing in my comp. in disk management, it does appear.
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2012 8:01:47 PM

in disk management does it have a drive letter?

try right clicking it and select initialise
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2012 8:05:13 PM

Try going to Start; right click on Computer; click on Manage; click on Disk Management under Storage on the left and your drive should show up with a blue line. Right click on the blue line and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. This will allow you to choose a drive letter and the external HDD should then show up in Windows Explorer.
Related resources
January 9, 2012 4:42:58 AM

Thanks..It works. U guys are great ;) 
July 9, 2012 3:25:00 AM

RealBeast said:
Try going to Start; right click on Computer; click on Manage; click on Disk Management under Storage on the left and your drive should show up with a blue line. Right click on the blue line and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. This will allow you to choose a drive letter and the external HDD should then show up in Windows Explorer.

hi, what can i do if i cant not select the 'change drive letter and paths'?
April 4, 2013 4:58:10 PM

RealBeast said:

August 15, 2013 3:27:04 PM

RealBeast said:

I am having the same original problem with a thumb drive I regularly use on this computer. Changing the drive letter and path name doesn't seem to help my situation. I have 1 internal HDD that is labeled Disk 0 and has a status of "online." My thumb drive is labeled as Disk 1 and has a status of "no media." Any thoughts?
!