New build problem ??

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Kingston
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2012 1:03:31 AM

Hey guys i finally ordered my new build at a local store near me (very great prices and service). But they could only get me kingston for ram. I didn't think of it as a problem since i thought kingston was "ok" but whatever.

My main goal was to OC my i5 to 4.5 ghz stable but I think im fucked now:

Here's my build

CPU: i5-2500k
MB: Asus p8z68-v-le

Ram: Kingston hyperx d3 8gb 1600mhz dual channel( Here's the problem, I wasn't up to date with sandy bridge and new technology and I just learned that :

1st- Sandry bridge cpus only support up to 1333 mhz and 1.5v ram.
2nd: Kingston hyperx ddr3 8gb (2x4gb) have high voltage (1.65v) and that u have to OC it to get it running at the promised 1600 mhz. Intel say its not good and stable to do that. So im fucked right ? Should i just let the ram to the default setting at 1333 mhz or make it go 1600 mhz manually in the bios. Will it run stable even if my pc is always open ?

Now i know why everyone suggested g.skill ripjaws :( :( :( 

SSD: kingston hyperx 128gb ssd (was going for crucial m4 but it was b/o)
Video: Asus gtx570 DC II
PSU: Corsair tx series 750 watts
CASE: CM haf 912
Cooler: cm hyper 212 evo
HDD: WD 500gb 7200 rpm

So overall i was pretty happy with the stuff until i came back home and decided to read a bit about it . :( 

Im receiving it tommorow. So i guess my best bet is to let the ram at the default settings in the bios which will prob be 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v ??

Will i be able to OC at 4.5 ghz nonetheless ?

Thank you for your answers guys im really stressed about that right now need someone to tell me its all good.

More about : build problem

February 14, 2012 2:47:35 AM

incineratorz said:
Hey guys i finally ordered my new build at a local store near me (very great prices and service). But they could only get me kingston for ram. I didn't think of it as a problem since i thought kingston was "ok" but whatever.

My main goal was to OC my i5 to 4.5 ghz stable but I think im fucked now:

Here's my build

CPU: i5-2500k
MB: Asus p8z68-v-le

Ram: Kingston hyperx d3 8gb 1600mhz dual channel( Here's the problem, I wasn't up to date with sandy bridge and new technology and I just learned that :

1st- Sandry bridge cpus only support up to 1333 mhz and 1.5v ram.
2nd: Kingston hyperx ddr3 8gb (2x4gb) have high voltage (1.65v) and that u have to OC it to get it running at the promised 1600 mhz. Intel say its not good and stable to do that. So im fucked right ? Should i just let the ram to the default setting at 1333 mhz or make it go 1600 mhz manually in the bios. Will it run stable even if my pc is always open ?

Now i know why everyone suggested g.skill ripjaws :( :( :( 

SSD: kingston hyperx 128gb ssd (was going for crucial m4 but it was b/o)
Video: Asus gtx570 DC II
PSU: Corsair tx series 750 watts
CASE: CM haf 912
Cooler: cm hyper 212 evo
HDD: WD 500gb 7200 rpm

So overall i was pretty happy with the stuff until i came back home and decided to read a bit about it . :( 

Im receiving it tommorow. So i guess my best bet is to let the ram at the default settings in the bios which will prob be 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v ??

Will i be able to OC at 4.5 ghz nonetheless ?

Thank you for your answers guys im really stressed about that right now need someone to tell me its all good.

It's been repeated on here several times how old school 1.65v RAM can seriously screw up your controller on 1155 boards. That and it's in just about every review done on these 1155 boards...Toms, Anandtech, Guru 3d, etc....
m
l
February 14, 2012 2:55:47 AM

Just run the RAM at 1.5V or return it. They may charge a restocking fee, maybe not.
I can assure you, DDR 1600 RAM will run just fine. I haven't blown up my 2500K yet.
m
l
February 14, 2012 4:27:30 AM

1600MHz is technically "overclocked" but it rarely causes stability issues (heck, there are 2000MHz kits). The key factor here is the voltage. I would recommend setting the voltage to 1.5V manually like Delroy suggested, and seeing what speeds you can run at. Even if you have to run at 1333MHz you won't notice a difference in performance.
m
l