Solved

PC power and Cooling PSU /w 19pin MB connector!!!

I assembled a new PC last week.
-Corsair 500R
-PC power and cooling silencer MKII 750W
-Gigabyte Z77x UD5H
- i2700k
- gtx 670 evga
- Mushkin enhanced redline 1866
- Noctua NHD-14
- OCZ vertex 4

- Everything was running smooth until yesterday (CPU OC'd to 4.5GHz (Max temp under stress 65C, GPU OC'd to 1200, max load 67C). Here is the funny thing, I got my HD (TB, WD caviar black, 7200, 6GBs) only yesterday evening, so I hooked it up, now the PC don't turn on. There was no beep no LEDs blinking. Next thing was to check the power supply, I did the paper clip trick and it turned out the Power supply was OK.

- It took hours though eventually I figured that there is something with the motherboard power connector (20+4 pin), seemed like loose contact. Needless to say, it wasn't just any loose contact but the 20 PIN was missing 1 pin all together!!!!!!!!! there were only 19 pins.

- Now I don't understand this. if the connector is missing 1-pin, how did the computer functioned until now? Do you think think might have damaged any of my hardware components on-board? Please provide me a detailed insight to this. I am worried if I have compromised the whole rig. May be I am just paranoid, idk.

- As it is evident, is definitely the POOR :fou: quality control from PC power and Cooling, if this indeed damaged any of my components can I file a claim?

- I am getting a refund from Amazon, also ordered a Corsair HX Professional Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Core i7 and Core i5 - CMPSU-850HX.

I look forward to your comments, thanks in advance.
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power cooling 19pin connector
  1. I'd check to see if it is inside the motherboard's input, and then i'd count the wires on the cable to see if it slipped out of its plastic pin housing.
  2. iraserei said:
    I'd check to see if it is inside the motherboard's input, and then i'd count the wires on the cable to see if it slipped out of its plastic pin housing.

I checked this, cable And the pin are missing. There are only 19 wires.
  3. Hmm,interesting, Is the Power Supply Modular or are the cables hardwired to it?
  4. Best answer
    llubbull said:
    I checked this, cable And the pin are missing. There are only 19 wires.

It's missing the -5V pin/wire and it's not a problem (only needed for VERY old peripherals). NO newer PSU's have one. The problem doesn't lie there, trust me.

Take a look and note the missing pin.

If you tried to file a claim for that, they would just laugh at you. Not saying there may not have been something wrong, but I promise you that the "missing" pin/wire wasn't it.
  5. That missing pin is not the problem. Look at any modern PSU. If the missing pin is between a red and a black wire, it used to be a white wire carrying -5 volts.

ATX 2.01 specification in 2004 removed the requirements for the -5 volt output. The missing line is not causing your problem.
  6. but now he can't complain bitterly and want compensation
  7. Aaah thats right, I forgot about that.
  8. DJDeCiBeL said:
    It's missing the -5V pin/wire and it's not a problem (only needed for VERY old peripherals). NO newer PSU's have one. The problem doesn't lie there, trust me.

Take a look and note the missing pin.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/all20plus4.jpg

If you tried to file a claim for that, they would just laugh at you. Not saying there may not have been something wrong, but I promise you that the "missing" pin/wire wasn't it.

Thanks for clarifying that part, which obviously I wasn't aware of, neither did the booklet came with the unit.

In any case the problem doesn't go away, the moment I touch the mobo power connector the system goes down. So, got to be something else with the connector, any ideas?
  9. I'd be checking the power switch and associated wiring/connection to the motherbd.
  10. I really don't know, honestly. If the connector is seated well, it shouldn't do that. It's probably in the wiring somewhere though.
  11. Either try to see if the company offers an extra 20pin power connector, or send it back in for replacement.
  12. iraserei said:
    Either try to see if the company offers an extra 20pin power connector, or send it back in for replacement.

I am getting a refund for this from Amazon, before that I will swap it with the Corsair HX850, which will arrive today. I will post the results tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
  13. Thanks for your help everyone.

I swapped out the PSU with corsair HX850, everythings looking stable now. :)
  14. Best answer selected by llubbull.
  15. Good to hear! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cooling Power Components