6870 Hawk Do i need to RMA it

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroCoolll

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
my card keeps freezing even when i play a video but i can run fumark 3dmark 11 and heaven without a glitch
use to only freeze when i tried to play a game and i even had it running games for a day then it work crash the games but not freeze now it freexes even when only playing a video i have tried the 11.11 driver and
11.12 and the new 12.1 nothing works but benchmarks always work i am going to run my memory through memtest86+ 4.10 tonight any help would be greatly appreciated.

system secs
gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H
Athlon II X3 440
western digital black 500gb sata
G.SKILL 2GB 2 x 1GB DDR3 1600
corsair cx400
dvd cd burner combo ide
front case fan 80mm
rear case fan 120mm
random gateway case from really old computer.

Solution
not a decent clock
look for example
my 5870 is 850 MHZ stock if it was 900 mhz and there was troubles then i have to make it 850 on the factory original clock
dont miss with the voltage unless you know what is the stock voltage of your card second RMA IT RMA IT RMA IT i can feel your pain you want to play some games with your new gpu hhhhhhh but its defective ?? you have to rma it if you set everything on stock and its not working too

ZeroCoolll

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I also tried a fresh install of windows 7 and fully updated it still freezing. going to test each ram one at a time and together.
my power supply is rated 30amps on the 12+ rail
and my GPU never gos over 60 deg C
when watching video never gos over 44 deg c
and my card is the MSI 6870 hawk twin frozr III

DM186

Splendid
Can you test your GPU in another rig? or can you test another GPU in your rig?

Your Corsair cx is on a tier 3 you are right in the middle of good and bad being 4 5 and good being 1 2 2b. But it will handel the job.

Do monitor your CPU temps and core? When you say your GPU never goes over 60c is that with load or just Idel? Do you have onboard graphics?

ZeroCoolll

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hi i can't test my GPU in another rig i only have one my friends computers are to old
i only have one GPU so i can't try i diff one
i do have onboard graphics hd4200 and its disabled
my max temps with load in games and 3dmarks 11 and heaven are 60 61 deg C max GPU temps at idel is 38 to 40 deg C
i have been checking my temps for my cpu its 41 deg C under load and 30 deg C idel

it now crashes when i try and play a video but if i run furMark for the stranded time of 1 min its perfect
but a video crashes it in less then a min
furmark got the gpu to 69 deg c and cpu to 41 deg c
only furmark has got it this high.

ZeroCoolll

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
playing a video my gpu got to 44c and my cpu 33c then when i full screened the video
it crashed the system black screen freeze with hard reset needed
just like always one time the screen was brown with stripes and a diff time blue with strips

when i am in safe mode the card runs fine have never had a crash in safe mode
dose that mean its not the card but the software

johnnyq8

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
go to the video card manufacturer website (xfx-sapphire-gigabyte ...etc ) and download the driver that compatible with your registered serial ( in the website ) i have registered my XFX Radeon 5870 from its website and i always download my drivers from them don't download directly from amd because the manufacture web site will customize the driver to your GPU like removing the APP or CL they are not working always . second or zero remove your current drivers with driver sweeper i think you know how to use it probably . 3rd enter amd website and check your card original clocks if your card was factory overclocked then down clock it to the original clocks of the amd website through catalyst control center > amd overdrive . lastly if the problem persists then you don't have any other solution but to RMA your card if it still under warranty . good luck

ZeroCoolll

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
i installed the 11.11 driver set after driver sweeping everything away
underclocked the gpu to 900 like a stock one it ran a bit longer then
normal but its still freezing my computer all try the msi driver later
my internet is slow downloading i dont see any way of finding
drivers on the msi website that have anything to do with registered serial number.

i got my card from newegg.ca its only 4 days old.

johnnyq8

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

no you didnt understand what im talking about > first amd website will have many drivers without CC or Without APP if you dont know what your card have then its the problem to avoid it download the drivers from your manufacture website by the exact product . lastly you can google what is the stock voltage of your card then try to downclock the voltages using msi after burner its pretty useful specially that your card is from msi
setting everything on stock
core
memory
volts
if that didnt solve the problem RMA is your last choice but i dont think that there is defective part in your gpu
freezing pc will come from fail overclock oh i forgot to tell you if you overclocked your cpu make it on stock a bios update can help . and check the power connectors that are connected to your PSU > PCI-E card and make sure you have 500+ power supply . PM me if you needed any help

ZeroCoolll

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
my card is the same as the stock but the core thats why its the only thing i down clocked maybe my card has more power but its a custom board so i dont even know if it gos stock i got the drivers from the disk insatlled because i have been trying to download the newer ones from the website but i have a slow connection

ZeroCoolll

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
what do i need to under clock the memory the gpu i dont even have voltage contol on the afterburner i have

on the website i only see 4 driver packages

Catalyst Software Suite

Display Driver Display Driver Only

OpenCL Driver OpenCL Driver Only

Catalyst Control Center

my card has stayed freeze free for as long as it has all day 17 min video and still going
i under clocked it to 850 core 850 memory

johnnyq8

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
not a decent clock
look for example
my 5870 is 850 MHZ stock if it was 900 mhz and there was troubles then i have to make it 850 on the factory original clock
dont miss with the voltage unless you know what is the stock voltage of your card second RMA IT RMA IT RMA IT i can feel your pain you want to play some games with your new gpu hhhhhhh but its defective ?? you have to rma it if you set everything on stock and its not working too

Solution

ZeroCoolll

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Thanks for being so helpful johnnyq8 sorry if i sounded rude
thanks for answering so many questions

i can most likey get it higher then that i have not tried to raise it
i just went real low to see if it really would work and that it wasnt some
other problem

ZeroCoolll

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
whats a good way to test if the gpu works good the bench mark ones suck i ran heaven 3dmarks 11 and 06 and furmark and they all passed with me watching them
i start some old ass game up and it crashes in like 2 mins

the best i can get without freezing
860 gpu
1000 memory

ZeroCoolll

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
why would my 6870 start working now that the i enabled my integrated graphics
i was getting ready to RMA it so i enabled the integrated graphics before i was
going to take it out.

ZeroCoolll

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
i download the dirt 2 demo for testing a nice newer game and played it a good 40 mins works perfect and i watched a 54 min video i could not even watch a video for
2 to 5 mins and it would crash

i think its working fine now it even plays the games smoother the it did before

thanks to every one for helping

Status
Not open for further replies.