Can Somone plz give me their input into COOLING

sebastian869

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Hello,
1) First issue is cooling, I have 2 GTX 285s running on an Asus P6T MOBO, it's a dumb design as the GPUs are side by side and just cook each other (GPU1 @58c and GPU2 @ 49c and that's doing nothing and after a good cleaning). I need to get better cooling, I need to 4 pin adjustable 80s and one 120 and a controller I'm hoping quality fans will help a lot in itself over stock crap. I have a Lian-Li PC-B25B (mid tower)
I'm also looking for advice on a CPU cooler as sad to say I still have the generic CPU cooler that Intel provided I have an I7-920, I'm hoping that will also lower the TEMP inside the box.
I'm not really into OC I'm a professional day trader. Hence, I need a stable machine but I do like to play COD here and there.
My current Mem is 6 gigs of and 6 more on order Corsair CMZ6GX3M3A1600C8 (will that suffice?) I just recently started running it at XMP 1600 (Do you think a mem cooler is required for 1600?)

2) Next Prob is I need to add more screens. I currently only have my 50" plasma TV and Dell 21" which is not enough I think I need to add at least 2 more monitors. Will my current setup handle it?

3) Currently running Vista 64 though about to upgrade to Win 7 Pro (Do you guys think professional version is adequate?) I was told that 7 handels mem more efficiently and is a better os by traders tech support.

P.S. I keep having serious dust issues, my brother had a similar case (which is why I went with this brand) and just seems like his internals are crystal clean as mine look like they work in a coal mine, would also love to hear any advice on that issue or if a new frame would be required. I do have a good PSU it's an Enermax Revolution 85+
Also, does anyone have any tips on good monitor mounts?

I'd be grateful if you had any advice about the problems described above.

Thanks Very much for any advice,
Sebastian

Solution
You should buy new stuff.

A different motherboard that allows you to put some serious distance between card 1 and card 2 would be a start. You could ebay the old processor/board and get a 2500k and gigabyte z68 for 350 minus the ebay cost.

Secondly, I would trade out the case for one like my PC-K59. It has much better airflow, a bottom mount PSU, and it has filters on the front intakes which is where the majority of the dust comes from.

I would change to Windows 7 Professional x64 if I were you.

If you change out the motherboard/processor as above, you can ebay the RAM with it. Today stuff uses dual channel mostly so you could get 2x CT2KIT51264BA1339 sets and be more than fine on RAM. That would be another 80.

All that stuff...
ok.

1) the close side-by-side is typical, but you may need more airflow. have you maximized your case fans? if not, do so! SLI configs benifit greatly from side fans blowing right on them. if you have side fans already, you might consider a PCI slot cooler you can place near the pair of 285s. NVidia cards *do* run hot, but 58c at idle might be just a little warm.

2) I think the 285s in SLI can handle up to 4 screens

3) Win 7 is more efficent than vista.

4) you can add filters to help with dust, but the best thing is once every month or two, open it up and blow out the accumulated dust with canned air.

5) Enermax is a decent brand.

You should buy new stuff.

A different motherboard that allows you to put some serious distance between card 1 and card 2 would be a start. You could ebay the old processor/board and get a 2500k and gigabyte z68 for 350 minus the ebay cost.

Secondly, I would trade out the case for one like my PC-K59. It has much better airflow, a bottom mount PSU, and it has filters on the front intakes which is where the majority of the dust comes from.

I would change to Windows 7 Professional x64 if I were you.

If you change out the motherboard/processor as above, you can ebay the RAM with it. Today stuff uses dual channel mostly so you could get 2x CT2KIT51264BA1339 sets and be more than fine on RAM. That would be another 80.

All that stuff should easily come out to under $500 after you ebay the old stuff which is no problem for a day trader.

Enermax/LEPA is the best brand on the high end wattages so you should be fine with that.

Might not be the worst idea to trade out your 2x 285s for 1x 7970 with eyefinity while you are at it. You could just ebay the whole old computer and buy a new one if you go that route. Then you wouldn't have to worry about temps and heat nearly as much as now.

Whatever you do, you don't need a RAM cooler.

You could probably get by with just the case and changing the motherboard to a different 1366, but most of the day traders I have ever met have generally preferred to have a more ideal sort of setup so I thought I would throw out there some parts that would get you a lot more up to date.

You won't need Ultimate Windows, about the only thing that gives you better than Professional is built in encryption stuff (Bitlocker).

Solution

sebastian869

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

Thanks for reply, yeah am already doing all of the above. Prob is the fans are 3 pin so i cant really control them. Its why i need to get cooling both the 2 80s and one 120 and a controller. Do u have any advice on that front?

Thanks

sebastian869

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

thanks for reply, yeah i was thinking about just upgraded everything but i think i'll wait at least 1 more year. Wouldnt really get a lot of bang for the buck compared to what i have. Thats the meain reason i want to get the stuff i need on the cheap (Do u think a stock CPU cooler is good enough? I dont really OC)
Thats why i need to get good air cooling some good 80s and one 120 and a controller. I'm just shocked about how taxing the trading software is compared to a COD 3 and its all java, i'd guess they wrote something wrong some where and its not efficent.
The case I got now has a dust screen, its just that the material sucks every couple of months i need to take it apart and clean it.
The version i meant was win 7 pro is that a good enough one?
P.S. if you have any advice on what fans are good and controller would love to hear about it.

Thanks a lot

Windows 7 Professional is fine unless you think someone is going to steal your computer.

I use Xigmatek 120s in my case.

I don't use a fan controller and you really don't need one. If you get fat fans (you should) they rotate slowly enough they don't make super huge amounts of noise anyway. They can run at 100% and not be very bothersome.

That keeps your computer cooler anyway.

The stock CPU cooler is enough if you have a good case and don't OC.

That being said, if your stuff is going super slow I don't see why you wouldn't want to try OCing. If you did want to, you should start by getting a Hyper 212 instead of the stock CPU cooler. It is only like $30 and you might get 25% more out of your processor with it.