Sign in with
Your question

6770 problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2011 11:58:23 PM

So i just put an XFX Ati Radeon HD 6770 in my computer. For some reason im having problems with lots of things. Some of my games that would run before i put the card in wont work. Windows Media Center crashes when ever i try to play anything and my games a lagging even though i exceed the MAXIMUM requirements. I dont know if its a driver problem or something else. Please help.

the rest of my computer is an Itel P4 3GHz (Yes its slightly outdated but it works)
2 gb ddr2 Ram
450W PSU
MSI G31TM-P31 mobo

More about : 6770 problems

December 16, 2011 12:06:02 AM

What card id you have prior to the 6770 ?? (Intel, Nvidia, ATI) --- and when you installed the new card did you just install the new drivers or did you remove all of the old drivers and revert to a generic windows driver and then afterwards install the new cards drivers --- Sounds like there may be a problem with the video drivers or parts of an old driver still installed causing problems. Try uninstalling all of the video drivers - run a registry cleaner to get rid of any remnants and then reinstall the latest ATI drivers for your card.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:07:28 AM

Before i had an integrated intel card which was crap. I thought i removed all trace of it but i can try again
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2011 12:11:32 AM

jacobfazzaro said:
Before i had an integrated intel card which was crap. I thought i removed all trace of it but i can try again

Sometimes pieces get left behind so couldn't hurt ! --- Also remember to reset any configuration files for old games that you had installed with the old card (some games do not automatically notice a change in the video card and will still use the old config file. )
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:13:36 AM

alright i shall do that and hopefully it will work :D 
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:14:23 AM

jacobfazzaro said:
So i just put an XFX Ati Radeon HD 6770 in my computer. For some reason im having problems with lots of things. Some of my games that would run before i put the card in wont work. Windows Media Center crashes when ever i try to play anything and my games a lagging even though i exceed the MAXIMUM requirements. I dont know if its a driver problem or something else. Please help.

the rest of my computer is an Itel P4 3GHz (Yes its slightly outdated but it works)
2 gb ddr2 Ram
450W PSU
MSI G31TM-P31 mobo

Its your P4 thats causing the lag LOL
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:15:31 AM

The Pentium 4 and 2gb is a fail and would be the reason you are experiencing crappy performance.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:17:41 AM

I dont think that is the problem since i wasnt experience lag BEFORE i made the switch. Before then i could play some without lag but now with the new card there is lag
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:20:47 AM

You could take a look at the 450W PSU. If it's crap, it might not be able to power a P4 and the 6770.

I'd also double check that the card is firmly in the slot, power cable plugged in tight, and you can always try reinstalling the drivers. Couldn't hurt.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:23:10 AM

4745454b said:
You could take a look at the 450W PSU. If it's crap, it might not be able to power a P4 and the 6770.

I'd also double check that the card is firmly in the slot, power cable plugged in tight, and you can always try reinstalling the drivers. Couldn't hurt.

the card is firmly in place and so is the power cable. Im reinstalling the drivers now to see if thats it. If not then it probably is the PSU.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:24:44 AM

Or the 9800GT which came from ebay.... Most of us have stopped buying from there a long time ago.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:26:12 AM

4745454b said:
Or the 9800GT which came from ebay.... Most of us have stopped buying from there a long time ago.

Ummmm you mean HD 6770 from Newegg?
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:27:27 AM

jacobfazzaro said:
I dont think that is the problem since i wasnt experience lag BEFORE i made the switch. Before then i could play some without lag but now with the new card there is lag

Thats because with a more powerful card the more noticeable that old Pentium 4 lag will become so you need a new CPU otherwise you will live with lag forever. A C2DUO will even cause lag and it is far and away a much much better more powerful CPU than any Pentium 4.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:28:36 AM

Headspin_69 said:
Thats because with a more powerful card the more noticeable that old Pentium 4 lag will become so you need a new CPU otherwise you will live with lag forever.

I think ill just try reinstalling the drivers first
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:29:33 AM

Sorry, two threads with the same problem. Yeah, PSU.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:30:31 AM

4745454b said:

Hes trying to run a 6770 on a P4 chip and he expects no lag LOL the P4 is the problem.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:31:04 AM

4745454b said:

Oh okay. I was confused there for a moment.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:32:32 AM

Quote:
Thats because with a more powerful card the more noticeable that old Pentium 4 lag will become so you need a new CPU otherwise you will live with lag forever. A C2DUO will even cause lag and it is far and away a much much better more powerful CPU than any Pentium 4.

But only if you jack the settings up. If you have a P4 and a G31 onboard and play game X quite happily at 800x600 and put a 6770, you should be able to do the same. You'll only have problems if you try to play more demanding game Y, or try to play at 1600x900. If P4 +G31 was playable, without changing any setting P4 + 6770 should as well. There is a chance that the game saw the new 6770 however and increased the settings. Might want to double check that. Because if it did, then yes, the P4 would be the problem. (dial them back to what they were before.)
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:33:05 AM

Headspin_69 said:
Hes trying to run a 6770 on a P4 chip and he expects no lag LOL the P4 is the problem.

Well since one of the games is from 1999 then yes i am expecting no lag from a game that was made before the P4 even came out.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:35:21 AM

4745454b said:
Quote:

But only if you jack the settings up. If you have a P4 and a G31 onboard and play game X quite happily at 800x600 and put a 6770, you should be able to do the same. You'll only have problems if you try to play more demanding game Y, or try to play at 1600x900. If P4 +G31 was playable, without changing any setting P4 + 6770 should as well. There is a chance that the game saw the new 6770 however and increased the settings. Might want to double check that. Because if it did, then yes, the P4 would be the problem. (dial them back to what they were before.)

A P4 is so slow single core CPU by today's standards it causes lag in everything and everyone understands this that's why nobody uses it for gaming at any resolution today LOL.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:36:19 AM

jacobfazzaro said:
Well since one of the games is from 1999 then yes i am expecting no lag from a game that was made before the P4 even came out.

what res ?
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:40:26 AM

Headspin_69 said:
what res ?

1024x768. My pc could handle that before but not now. And the P4 wouldnt explain windows media center crashing everytime i use it. It never did that before
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:50:04 AM

Quote:
A P4 is so slow single core CPU by today's standards it causes lag in everything

So why did it not lag when he was using the onboard G31 chipset?

Quote:
And the P4 wouldnt explain windows media center crashing everytime i use it.

Correct. Lack of power might. Might also want to try resetting the bios. Another thing that couldn't hurt.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:53:01 AM

4745454b said:
Quote:
A P4 is so slow single core CPU by today's standards it causes lag in everything

So why did it not lag when he was using the onboard G31 chipset?

Quote:
And the P4 wouldnt explain windows media center crashing everytime i use it.

Correct. Lack of power might. Might also want to try resetting the bios. Another thing that couldn't hurt.

Ya cause onboard runs games smoothly right as well as anything else that my be the least bit GPU taxing.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:58:41 AM

Quote:
Ya cause onboard runs games smoothly right as well as anything else that my be the least bit GPU taxing.

For him it did. Everything was fine before, now its not.

Thinking about this, why did you get the 6770?
m
l
December 16, 2011 1:02:52 AM

4745454b said:
Quote:

Onboard especially some ancient P4 onboard chipset will never ever ever run a YouTube video in 720p let alone 1080p without choppy performance and lets not get into gaming on an P4 onboard Chipset LOL.
m
l
December 16, 2011 1:04:09 AM

4745454b said:
Quote:

I needed something that could run CAD for architecture and robotics and the integrated piece of crap i had wouldn't cut it. The gaming was just an added perk.
m
l
December 16, 2011 1:19:45 AM

jacobfazzaro said:
I needed something that could run CAD for architecture and robotics and the integrated piece of crap i had wouldn't cut it. The gaming was just an added perk.

A Pentium 4 is so SLOWWWWWWWWWW in anything that would be consider just a bit CPU taxing in today's standards just look at the CPU monitor when running a simple YT video and it will be all maxed out when running an HD video.
m
l
December 16, 2011 1:24:08 AM

Headspin_69 said:
A Pentium 4 is so SLOWWWWWWWWWW in anything that would be consider just a bit CPU taxing in today's standards just look at the CPU monitor when running a simple YT video and it will be all maxed out when running an HD video.

True. Maybe soon ill just do a complete new build and use my 6770 in it
m
l
December 16, 2011 1:33:33 AM

jacobfazzaro said:
True. Maybe soon ill just do a complete new build and use my 6770 in it

6770 is a great little entry level card that can play any game maxed out at decent and very very playable frames per second and even some game like Portal 2 at full speed 60fps however that will never happen on a Pentium 4 Chip. If money is tight for you like it is for many of us now in days try and find something like a used C2DUO board and chip something in the range of an Core2Duo E8400 and overclock it and that will play most games great on the 6770 and releave allot of bottlenecking caused by the P4 cpu.
m
l
December 16, 2011 1:37:49 AM

Headspin_69 said:
6770 is a great little entry level card that can play any game maxed out at decent and very very playable frames per second and even some game like Portal 2 at full speed 60fps however that will never happen on a Pentium 4 Chip. If money is tight for you like it is for many of us now in days try and find something like a used C2DUO board and chip something in the range of an Core2Duo E8400 and overclock it and that will play most games great on the 6770 and releave allot of bottlenecking caused by the P4 cpu.

What i found is that for around 70 bucks i can get a 2.33 GHz intel core 2 duo E6550. with that i wouldnt even have to replace my mobo.
m
l
December 16, 2011 1:44:51 AM

jacobfazzaro said:
What i found is that for around 70 bucks i can get a 2.33 GHz intel core 2 duo E6550. with that i wouldnt even have to replace my mobo.

Ya for $70 bucks you cant really go wrong because of your mobo however I dont think that mobo will overclock any CPU so you will have to do some researcher and that C2Duo will need a good overclock and the general rule of thumb for gaming is any good chip over 3ghz is good to go for gaming.
m
l
December 16, 2011 1:47:51 AM

Headspin_69 said:
Ya for $70 bucks you cant really go wrong because of your mobo however I dont think that mobo will overclock any CPU so you will have to do some researcher and that C2Duo will need a good overclock and the general rule of thumb for gaming is any good chip over 3ghz is good to go for gaming.

okay thanks I'll look into that.
m
l
December 16, 2011 5:49:26 AM

Make sure your motherboard's processor support list includes that processor since many LGA775 processors are incompatible with some LGA775 motherboards.

I had an HD 5770 with a 3.0ghz P4 until very recently. I was able to play Portal 2 just fine and watch hd YouTube vids. I did have 4gb of ram and a 500w psu, though.
m
l
December 16, 2011 6:28:06 AM

Novulux said:
Make sure your motherboard's processor support list includes that processor since many LGA775 processors are incompatible with some LGA775 motherboards.

I had an HD 5770 with a 3.0ghz P4 until very recently. I was able to play Portal 2 just fine and watch hd YouTube vids. I did have 4gb of ram and a 500w psu, though.

was portal playing at over 60fps consistently ?
m
l
December 16, 2011 6:32:22 AM

If it was smooth and playable does it matter? 45 might have been good.

He should be fine. The G31 board does support C2D chips.

Edit: Headspin, let go of the bone. Yes, the P4 isn't a very good gaming CPU. I wouldn't use one in a gaming machine if I was going to play Crysis, GTA4, Metro 2033, etc. But we are talking about Portal 2 here. Built on a now very old Source game engine. The P4 was able to play HL2 just fine. Valve hasn't updated it that much. He hasn't listed anything gaming wise that would make me think he needed a new CPU.

That said, I don't think the 6770 will help with CAD work. In this case the card is simply outputting what the CPU tells it to. It does no real work unless the software supports direct compute or OpenCL. I worry the OP saw the choppiness and thought he needed a new GPU.
m
l
December 16, 2011 7:00:00 AM

4745454b said:
If it was smooth and playable does it matter? 45 might have been good.

He should be fine. The G31 board does support C2D chips.

Edit: Headspin, let go of the bone. Yes, the P4 isn't a very good gaming CPU. I wouldn't use one in a gaming machine if I was going to play Crysis, GTA4, Metro 2033, etc. But we are talking about Portal 2 here. Built on a now very old Source game engine. The P4 was able to play HL2 just fine. Valve hasn't updated it that much. He hasn't listed anything gaming wise that would make me think he needed a new CPU.

That said, I don't think the 6770 will help with CAD work. In this case the card is simply outputting what the CPU tells it to. It does no real work unless the software supports direct compute or OpenCL. I worry the OP saw the choppiness and thought he needed a new GPU.

He told me that he will be getting a used C2D E6550 2.3ghz stock I think for $70 and I says OC that old C2D and with that 6770 he will be good to go for a real decent all around budget gaming rig.
m
l
!