Sign in with
Your question

New Mobo/cpu/ram install

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 31, 2012 6:48:31 PM

Recently insalled these components to go with my existing hd,gpu,psu and case.

Asus m5A990xEvo motherboard
Amd fx 6100 cpu
corsair vengeance ddr3 ram

My hard drive, which has two partitions just for music/movies, has windows xp on it currently. When i load up my pc with my new components i get the BSOD. How do i go about setting up my mobo? Because i get into the motherboards bios just fine and can select boot options etc, but i can only go into safemode on windows xp and it says i have to install drivers.

Some other questions, sort of off topic
i have a N550GTx-ti gpu that needs to be installed but i cant disable the onboard gpu
I also have a creative sound card which i need to install but i cannot manage to disable the nvideo sound drivers on the mobo.

thanks

More about : mobo cpu ram install

a b à CPUs
May 31, 2012 7:27:39 PM

To get rid of the BSOD you need to reinstall windows from scratch (reformat and reinstall). That's because xp isn't set up with the drivers for your new MB, and there's no way to get them into XP after the fact if it BSOD's.

I'm not sure about the other items. It should be as simple as setting a single setting for each in the BIOS.
May 31, 2012 7:34:39 PM

abekl said:
To get rid of the BSOD you need to reinstall windows from scratch (reformat and reinstall). That's because xp isn't set up with the drivers for your new MB, and there's no way to get them into XP after the fact if it BSOD's.

I'm not sure about the other items. It should be as simple as setting a single setting for each in the BIOS.
tall

When i tried putting in my xp cd and going through the re format process, i still got the bsod. I got to around the 2nd screen after it ask me for raid or no raid. Should i try again?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 4:20:52 AM

Hmmm....

Did you manage to get the onboard sound and GPU disabled before the install? Have you tried the install using your old memory or just one stick of the new memory?
June 2, 2012 2:44:01 AM

I cant install my old memory because it is ddr2 and this mobo only accepts ddr3. I will try one stick of ram at a time
!