Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath Comments

I've put about two hours into this game and have a few comments.

Bad points:
- So far it's been difficult to capture the bosses alive for the bigger
bounty reward.

- A complete departure from the previous Oddworld
character/enviroments. No Mudokans to be found here.

- More emphasis on action than previous games.

Good points:
- Same quirky Oddworld humor we've come to expect.

- Very smooth mixture of different gameplay elements.

- More emphasis on action than previous games.

Yes, depending on your preferences, the larger emphasis on action could
be a good thing or a bad thing. Overall, I have no complaints about
the action so far because most enemies can be handled in multiple ways.
Want to sneak around, taking out bandits quietly, go right ahead. If
you'd rather jump in crossbow-a-blazing it supports that method as
well.

Overall, it's been a solid and fun game so far.

Zackman wrote:
> Robert P Holley wrote:
>
> > I've put about two hours into this game and have a few comments.
>
> I'm on the same page as you. I'm liking the game but it takes some
getting
> used to compared to the previous games.

Agreed. I even played thru the original Abe's Oddysee (PSX) last week
to get in the mood but it's totally different gameplay, altho not in a
bad way.

Speaking of that game, that is one God damn hard-ass game.

> Hey RPH, did you get the bonus DVD? There's a demo video of the game
with
> commentary that shows different approaches to attacking the fort (the
third
> boss I think) including a bunch of stuff I didn't notice/think of. In
the
> demo he's using a bunch of ammo that you can't get that early in the
game
> but it's still interesting.

Yes I got that bonus DVD and that's how I knew ahead time how to
approach that fort using stealth (I got the DVD like a week ago).
Unfortunately like you said, he is using ammo that's unavailable to us
at that juncture of the game, so I couldn't capture him alive like they
did.

Robert P Holley wrote:

> I've put about two hours into this game and have a few comments.

I'm on the same page as you. I'm liking the game but it takes some getting
used to compared to the previous games.

Hey RPH, did you get the bonus DVD? There's a demo video of the game with
commentary that shows different approaches to attacking the fort (the third
boss I think) including a bunch of stuff I didn't notice/think of. In the
demo he's using a bunch of ammo that you can't get that early in the game
but it's still interesting.

-Z-

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
> In article <1106935091.452476.59740@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> holleyrp@delanet.com says...
> >
> >I've put about two hours into this game and have a few comments.
> >
> >Bad points:
> >- So far it's been difficult to capture the bosses alive for the
bigger
> >bounty reward.
> >
> >- A complete departure from the previous Oddworld
> >character/enviroments. No Mudokans to be found here.
> >
> >- More emphasis on action than previous games.
> >

> >Good points:
> >- Same quirky Oddworld humor we've come to expect.
> >
> >- Very smooth mixture of different gameplay elements.
> >
> >- More emphasis on action than previous games.
> >

> >Yes, depending on your preferences, the larger emphasis on action
could
> >be a good thing or a bad thing. Overall, I have no complaints about
> >the action so far because most enemies can be handled in multiple
ways.
> >Want to sneak around, taking out bandits quietly, go right ahead.
If
> >you'd rather jump in crossbow-a-blazing it supports that method as
> >well.
> >
> >Overall, it's been a solid and fun game so far.
> >

> So EA did right by this title? I heard EA was behind the new game?

They simply picked up the publishing rights after MS dropped them. EA
certainly wouldn't develop a game this unique and quirky.

In article <1106935091.452476.59740@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
holleyrp@delanet.com says...

>I've put about two hours into this game and have a few comments.
>
>Bad points:
>- So far it's been difficult to capture the bosses alive for the bigger
>bounty reward.
>
>- A complete departure from the previous Oddworld
>character/enviroments. No Mudokans to be found here.
>
>- More emphasis on action than previous games.
>

>Good points:
>- Same quirky Oddworld humor we've come to expect.
>
>- Very smooth mixture of different gameplay elements.
>
>- More emphasis on action than previous games.
>

>Yes, depending on your preferences, the larger emphasis on action could
>be a good thing or a bad thing. Overall, I have no complaints about
>the action so far because most enemies can be handled in multiple ways.
>Want to sneak around, taking out bandits quietly, go right ahead. If
>you'd rather jump in crossbow-a-blazing it supports that method as
>well.
>
>Overall, it's been a solid and fun game so far.

So EA did right by this title? I heard EA was behind the new game?

I've had a chance to play it for 8-10 hours. Not sure my good/bad
points line up with yours exactly, but I tend to agree in general. The
emphasis on action (with light platforming) is a fun angle at which to
approach the Oddworld. The mixture of "spaghetti western" and "odd
fantasy" is fun as well.

Like you, I find it nearly impossible to capture any of the later
bosses alive. The bossfight format gets a little old after awhile,
feeling repetitive and monotonous. The environments and animation are
extremely well done. Dialogue with characters is amusing. The
underlying gameplay, so far, doesn't seem to be more than a simple
series of bossfights and barrel-smashing excursions. The thought of
mixing this game with "Fable" or "Mercenaries" continually pops into my
head. I'd like more variety in the towns and townsfowl. Maybe that
comes later in the game?

> so I couldn't capture him alive like they
>did.

I haven't been able to capture any of the bosses alive...what's the
trick. Although I'm not sure now that it matters because ......

SPOILERS...don't read unless you've passed the "plot twist" and
learned about Stranger's secret.

.....you're lead to believe you need to collect $20k for his operation,
but then after he finds the Doc dead, I assume that whole thing is
over. So although you can still collect money for upgrades, the $20k
goal is no more.

>Like you, I find it nearly impossible to capture any of the later
>bosses alive.

Looks like I'll hold onto the game for a few more days in case a cheat
code comes out. I'm so pissed that they made a well-balanced game,
then screw the player at the end with an obnoxious timed level.
Eveyone's attacking from every direction, you don't where to go, and
the timer's ticking.

Frustrating.