1055T or FX 6100?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So a computer illiterate friend of mine rushed into a computer upgrade and bought a FX 6100 for his current AMD rig, but since he didn't do his homework he didn't realize that the FX won't work on his motherboard. He is the kind of guy that would rather work around a problem like this before having to deal with returning a CPU. He has a 890GX powered board and it's a older AM3, so he asked if we could swap CPU's. I am on the fence about this, on the one hand I wouldn't mind helping out a buddy but on the other hand I know that a 6100 isn't a true hexacore. It's 3 Modules and 6 "Cores", so I would probably lose a little performance.

Should I be the nice guy and do the swap or should I advise him go ahead and return his CPU for a exchange? For the record I have a 990FX Sabertooth.

Solution
Yep, the Bulldozer series from AMD is qualified by some people as a "Big Fail" and does not perform very well compared to its old friend, the Phenom II X4/6.

Buying a Bulldozer is like buying a Intel GPU...

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
As far as I know, an AM3+ CPU should work on AM3 Motherboards, hence the "+".
But some features of the newer AM3+ CPU wouldn't work on a AM3 motherboard.

The same applies to older cpus.
AM2 and AM2+ works interchangeably.

-Hope it helps! :)

block97 is 100% right about the motherboard + sockets.

However, if I were you, I personally wouldn't swap CPU's with your friend...I advise him to get a new motherboard or swap his CPU.

1055T>FX-6100 performance wise. I can't find any benchmarks to prove this but here's a comparison of a 1055T and an FX-8150 (Give you a rough idea) http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=434
Your CPU has 2 less 'cores' and is 800Mhz slower, and yet the 8150 is having a hard time keeping up :)

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Yep, the Bulldozer series from AMD is qualified by some people as a "Big Fail" and does not perform very well compared to its old friend, the Phenom II X4/6.

Buying a Bulldozer is like buying a Intel GPU...

Solution
G

Not supported in his BIOS it seems. Last thing that was supported from what he is telling me is the 1100T. Go figure. He has a GA-890GPA-UD3H v 1.0 so yeah... not compatible.

G

He bought it locally, and those people don't know jack about their own return policy. All he has to do is say it wouldn't post (which is true) and they'll give him his money back. I've seen him work that return desk better then a fat guy works a dollar menu! :D

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Not supported in his BIOS it seems. Last thing that was supported from what he is telling me is the 1100T. Go figure. He has a GA-890GPA-UD3H v 1.0 so yeah... not compatible.
Even if the compatibility isn't listed in the manual or the official website (http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3342), most AM3+ CPU's work with AM3 Motherboards.
Make sure that your friend had updated his BIOS to the newest one available...

G

He tried it, it failed, it went back. Perk of living close, paying in cash and causing a scene I suppose. Was pretty funny to watch him cuss out a girl who didn't know the difference between DDR3 memory and a DVD-ROM. Anyhow, I think we can close this up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.