8gb DDR3 1600 Kingston HyperX Blue ram
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz CPU
ATI Radeon 5770 x2 in crossfire
64 GB Crucial SSD
500 GB seagate HDD
CD/DVD Drive
BFG Tech 650 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Just built May-June 2011, never worked perfectly, but nothing terrible. However, now it seems that every day I encounter some error or issue. Anything from Blue Screens(Cache Manager, System Service Exception, Bad Pool Header, and a few others), random crashes/restarts, PC turning on with no video while GPU fan revs forever without ever getting to boot, Freezes while booting or after boot up, and random black screens while doing anything on it.

I have tried taking it somewhere for some outside perspective. They told me that the SSD and a stick of ram was bad, so I removed them and the system appeared to run nicely for about an hour, then the errors came back. I have RMA'd the parts and reinstalled them. They tell me that at their place they have no problems with the pc after stress testing it for a few days. They suggested it might be something external, like wireless mouse and keyboard....ok....so I got wired ones, still having problems.

Yesterday I removed one of the 5770s and the system ran fine for the entire day, no problems what-so-ever. Until it went into sleep mode sometime last night and now this morning it will not boot. It will turn on, lights come on and all, sounds normal, except for the 5770 fan keeps revving with no video on the monitor. It just did it for an hour with no improvement, so I shut it off.

I am completely owned and dumbfounded by this system. All and any help is greatly appreciated. I am leaning towards the problem being mobo related, but that is just a gut feeling.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Solution
The only suspect component I see on the list is the BFG Tech PSU. The wattage rating is fine, but BFG is not known for quality, especially the PSUs. If you had another PSU you could sub in, that might help at least eliminate it. The problems you describe could be caused by flaky PSU voltage, or flaky voltage coming from the wall outlet, and even a faulty surge protector.

An 80 plus certified or better PSU from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone or XFX is best for gaming rigs.

tlmck

Distinguished
The only suspect component I see on the list is the BFG Tech PSU. The wattage rating is fine, but BFG is not known for quality, especially the PSUs. If you had another PSU you could sub in, that might help at least eliminate it. The problems you describe could be caused by flaky PSU voltage, or flaky voltage coming from the wall outlet, and even a faulty surge protector.

An 80 plus certified or better PSU from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone or XFX is best for gaming rigs.

Solution

wolverine4545

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Tlmck, I have had that cross my mind as well. Do you(or anyone else) think that the PSU could be causing all these problems? I would really prefer not to buy extra parts if at all possible. Buying just a PSU would be okay, because I agree it is a POS by the eye test. I guess I really did not realize it when my friend gave me it.

Thanks

tlmck

Distinguished
Any of those will be fine. Just a note on the Antec green series. They do not include a power cord, so save the one you have or get a new one. It is that way on purpose as part of the "green" thing.

Occasionally you can find a better deal on Amazon.

wolverine4545

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Update:

Today I went out and bought a new PSU, Cosair GS800 along with 2 new 120 mm antec fans. Installed about 5 seconds ago, and so far, so good. Two start-ups and no boot problems.

Here's to crossing my fingers!!

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

I suggest OCZ ModXstream Pro 700 watts 80 plus certified this is what I'm using.

0 Items

|Wish List

Help

Newegg.com

Follow us:

Shop All Stores

SearchPower SuppliesAll StoresCamerasComputer HardwareElectronicsGamingHome & OutdoorsPCs & LaptopsSoftwareOutlet

Marketplace

Home > Computer Hardware > Power Supplies > Power Supplies > OCZ Technology > Item#: N82E16817341018

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Average Rating(814 reviews)Write a Review

In stock.

Was: $129.99

Now: $89.99

Save: $40.00

QTY. Add to Cart ► Add to Wishlist
Price Alert
Print This Page

Protect Your Investment!

1-year extended warranty $9.99. (more options)

$59.99 after mail-in rebate card
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$5.99 Shipping (restrictions apply)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FREE 2-Day Shipping learn more | sign in

Overview
Details
Feedback

Buzz

Silent efficiency, pure quality

“OCZ made a quiet, energy efficient, and powerful modular power supply. This unit is as quiet as they get (with a fan). ...”
— Chuga 10/28/2008

Great Product, Rebate Stinks

“The rebate submission process seemed easy enough. They have a website set up, they try to scam you into giving them $5 ...”
— 6/24/2009

Write a Review

Get Educated Make informed decisions with expert advice.

Shop without retyping payment details. Secure shopping made faster.
Check out with PayPal.

Financing

Newegg Preferred AccountNo Interest if paid in full in up to 12 Months. Minimum purchase required.
Subject to credit approval. See Terms

Bill Me LaterNo Payments + No Interest if paid in full in 6 Months on order over $250.
Subject to credit approval. See Terms

Ads by Google (?)
Toshiba's Thrive™ Tablet
Save on the new Thrive™ Tablet
from Toshiba. Starting at $379.
ToshibaDirect.com/Tablet
Magellan™ GPS Store
Magellan GPS, Maps & Accessories.
Factory Price & Free Same Day S/H.
Magellan.FactoryOutletStore.com
Office 2010 - $89
Full version. Academic discount.
Limited time sale. Order today!
www.CostCaptain.com

Ad feedback [+]

The ModXStream from OCZ is the superlative solution for driving today's gaming systems. Professional-grade yet designed with gamers and modders in mind, this PSU is stable, robust, and sports a sleek look and compact form factor.

The PSU is ready for your SLI or CrossFire configuration with 2 PCIe connections. There are also 6 SATA, 4 Molex and 2 Floppy connectors so you load your system however you need to. A four rail configuration balances the power output for consistent performance.

Keeping it cool is a 135mm fan and an openwork grille on the back panel. With its 80 PLUS Certified, so less energy is wasted as heat or interference, delivering more power to your hungry system!
ATX12V and EPS12V Compatible Compatible with the ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V standards, the OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP provides maximum power stability to drive the latest Intel and AMD processors as well as other components for desktop and server computer systems.
700W Maximum Power A maximum power of 700W delivers safe, reliable output for high-end gaming computer systems.
80 PLUS Certified The 80 PLUS certified power supply provides high power efficiency of at least 80% at any load between 20% and 100%, saving your money on your electrical bill, reducing heat in your computer's system and prolonging its life.
Modular Cable Design The modular cable design allows use of only the cables you need resulting in improved internal airflow and reduced system clutter.
135mm Silent Cooling Fan The OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP features a 135mm thermally controlled fan for increased overall airflow and heat dissipation in the power supply enclosure.

Shopping Insight

See what other informed Newegg customers purchased after viewing this product

$89.99

35%

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

The product on this page

$89.99

3%

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

$59.99

3%

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply

$139.99

3%

CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Get the most from your OCZ Technology OCZ700MXSP with these extras!

See what customers also bought with this product

Most Popular
Warranties & Services
Computer Cases
Processors - Desktops
CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Others
My Selected Items (0)

Service Net Replacement Extended Warranty
1 Year Service Net Repla...

$9.99

Add to Selection

Thermaltake Element G VL10001W2Z Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ATX Mid Tower
USB / Audio Front Ports ...
Three enlarged color shi...

$144.99

Add to Selection

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
32 nm Sandy Bridge
6MB L3 Cache
Intel HD Graphics 3000

$229.99

Add to Selection

Selected Items: 0 (view)
Featured Product plus Selected: $89.99

Add Selected to Cart ►

Compare Similar Items That Customers Also Browsed

OCZ ZT Series 750W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
ATX12V v2.2
100 - 240 V
80 PLUS BRONZE Certified...

Was: $119.99
$109.99

View Details

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2....
90 - 264 V
80 PLUS BRONZE Certified...

Was: $119.99
$89.99

View Details

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91...
Modular
80 PLUS SILVER Certified...

Was: $169.99
$154.99

View Details

◄ Shop More Similar Items
Compare These Items ►

Home > Computer Hardware > Power Supplies > Power Supplies > OCZ Technology > Item#: N82E16817341018

Your Recently Viewed Items

OCZ modXstream Pro 700 watts

Shop by Region: United States | Canada | China

Contact Us
Frequently Asked Questions
Return Policy Information
Rebate Center

Gift Cards
Icon Glossary
Video Center
Review Center

Login/Register
My Account
Order Status
Order History/Print Invoice
Wish Lists
RMA Request

Track My Order

About Us
Office Hours and Location
Careers
Newsroom
Awards/Rankings
Events
Calif. Transparency in Supply Chains Act

RSS Feeds
Site Map
Affiliates
Newsegg Information Center
Newsletter Subscriptions
Marketplace Sellers
Mobile Apps
Electronics trade-in

Affiliated Sites:
NeweggBusiness
For Business NeedsEggXpert.com
Newegg Community

Policy & Agreement | Privacy Policy © 2000-2012 Newegg Inc. All rights reserved.

iframe for third party code