Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't turn on. PSU is fine.

Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2012 12:39:24 PM

Hi, 2 weeks ago I built my very first pc, everything was working fine, no problems until today.

I was using the computer 8 hours ago and when I tried powering it on today, everything turned on for a split second and then powered off, and it has not been working since.

I did the "Paperclip test" on my PSU and it seemed to be working fine with the fans spinning.
But still after plugging all the components back in to my PSU, there is still no signs of life.

I don't know what caused this to happen and need advice on what to do, or what hardware might be faulty.

Thanks

My Build

Case: Zalman Z9 +
PSU : OCZ ZS Series 550w 80+
GPU : Gigabyte GTX 560
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.3

More about : computer turn psu fine

February 14, 2012 3:45:33 PM

Ok, I ran some tests and found out that when i touch the CMOS with a screwdriver, everything powers on for a split second, then powers off. Motherboard LED lights up for a split second also , so I think the motherboard is ok. Also I have breadboarded It, so it is not short-circuiting. But still really need help with fixing this.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2012 4:02:45 PM

take out the CMOS battery and unplug the computer from the wall socket
let it sit for 5-10 minutes
put the battery back in
see if this helps
February 14, 2012 4:36:49 PM

I now feel like a idiot. The CMOS Battery somehow was upside down. Now that I have flipped it, Plugged it in and BAM! Powered on, working fine. Thanks For The Assist!
!