Maybe this is a dumb question...

Falling

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
I just got a new Core 2 Extreme QX6700 processor and a new motherboard in neither instructions does it mention a thermal compound,do i need it on this processor?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
yes - its all ready applied to the stock cooler - that is why no mention.

you should use a good after market cooler like a thermalright, not a junky zalman!

yes you need thermal compound it evens out the imperfections that would block the heat flow - spread it evenly not matter what artic sliver says!

You definately want themal compound (something like arctic silver 5, or any type really) for any processor, especially a quad core. I would not suggest using the stock cooler either (unless they include a good copper one), because that quad core will make a lot of heat. The stuff will be a little messy, but it is worth it.
Have Fun!

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
On stock coolers the thermal paste should already be applied on the heatsink. Just take the protective cover off, and attach the heatsink to the CPU. If you're not going to overclock, then the stock heatsink is fine. If you do want to overclock, then getting a better fan/heatsink and some better thermal paste would be best.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
I find it slightly ironic that you have a Qx6700 but don't know about thermal compound... maybe Im just jealous. Oh well... now you do.. Arctic silver 5 is usually better than the stuff you get with an aftermarket Hsf.. the instructions for all that mumbo are on the acticsilver website..

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I find it slightly ironic that you have a Qx6700 but don't know about thermal compound... maybe Im just jealous. Oh well... now you do.. Arctic silver 5 is usually better than the stuff you get with an aftermarket Hsf.. the instructions for all that mumbo are on the acticsilver website..

Well, I know lots of people who have 6700ES chips that have no idea how to even put them in the socket on a motherboard.

So, yes, I can believe there are some who are first or novice builders, who just need help. No biggie.

Plus, like you, I am a bit jealous about the chip that was mentioned.

:)