I3 2130 system cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasunt

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Hi folks,

I recently build my self a i3 2130 system for server use. I will be doing the odd performance demanding tasks such as running 3D cad software e.t.c. However it will be a web server/file server/nas running a linux distro (not decided yet about what to use) 24/7. Im using the stock graphics instead of having an external graphics card since its not used for gaming!

So my question is more around the cooling. I have everything in a Fractal Design R3. Its a nice little roomy case.

I initially wanted to water cool the system with an off the shelf closed loop solution such H80 or H100 but I'm not sure if its an over kill. Whatever it is I want to keep the system as cool as possible since I will be having few hard disks and where I live it does get quite warm during the summer.

My preference would be water cooling over air cooling in terms of cooling the cpu. Any recommendations about the solutions out there ? I would like to keep the system well balanced between quietness and performance.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

A Noctua or Cougar fan seem to be VERY quiet with good airflow :)
Depending on case size, a Hyper 212 Evo will perform just as well as a H60 at a much lower cost. If you want to go with closed loop water, a H80, H100, or Antec Kuhler H2O 920 is a lot more worth the money (although I despise closed loop water personally, but that's just a personal thing).

Status
Not open for further replies.