Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Build won't post

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 14, 2012 3:29:54 PM

I just made a new build, using the following:


Athlon x3 455 processor
AMD 770 AM2+ motherboard
2 gigs ddr 2
old MSI 6800 gfx card



This pc won't post. However, the screen never goes off, and shows no signal. The screen just stays black all of the time. The screen has been tested, as have the ram and motherboard.

So my question is what is making it not post? There are no beep error codes occuring, and the status lights on the motherboard all indicate that the cpu is receiving power.

The one thing I can think of is that the processor is am3, and the motherboard is am2+. Do I need to remove the processor until I've flashed the new bios over in order to get the system to post? And if not, what other items should I check/test?

More about : build post

a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2012 3:49:40 PM

try a different video card
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2012 4:01:10 PM

What is the motherboard make and model?

Did you plug in the 4/8-pin CPU power connector (usually top-left of the CPU socket)?
m
0
l
Related resources
February 14, 2012 4:01:51 PM

Here is the immediate problem with trying a different video card. The only other spare card I've got is a 8800gt, which requires the additional power connectors which this power supply doesn't have. If I put the card in without the additional power connectors, will the card still function at all?
m
0
l
February 14, 2012 4:03:54 PM

quicksand10 said:
What is the motherboard make and model?

Did you plug in the 4/8-pin CPU power connector (usually top-left of the CPU socket)?



Motherboard model is MSI 770T-C35. The power connector is in the motherboard, and the 4 cpu status lights are lit, which according to the manual states the cpu is receiving full power.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2012 4:15:53 PM

vagrantprodigy said:
Here is the immediate problem with trying a different video card. The only other spare card I've got is a 8800gt, which requires the additional power connectors which this power supply doesn't have. If I put the card in without the additional power connectors, will the card still function at all?


Nope, unfortunately not.
There exists a Molex to PCIe power converter... but it's hard to find and I wouldn't suggest it...

I think it really is a BIOS problem.
Flash it with this file if you can:
http://www.msi.com/service/download/bios-12966.html
m
0
l
February 14, 2012 4:18:41 PM

quicksand10 said:
Nope, unfortunately not.
There exists a Molex to PCIe power converter... but it's hard to find and I wouldn't suggest it...

I think it really is a BIOS problem.
Flash it with this file if you can:
http://www.msi.com/service/download/bios-12966.html



That was my thought as well. I've never had to flash bios before, how do I do this if I can get the motherboard to post? Should I remove the cpu, and then see if it posts?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2012 4:29:18 PM

Only some motherboards allow you to go into the BIOS without a CPU. I checked the manual and it didn't give any troubleshooting options.

I would call MSI before trying this; maybe there is another way to flash the BIOS with an unsupported CPU (configure a USB thumb drive in a certain way, etc.)

Worse comes to worst, they will exchange it for you.

If they give you a solution, please post it back here for us! :) 
m
0
l
February 14, 2012 4:32:45 PM

quicksand10 said:
Only some motherboards allow you to go into the BIOS without a CPU. I checked the manual and it didn't give any troubleshooting options.

I would call MSI before trying this; maybe there is another way to flash the BIOS with an unsupported CPU (configure a USB thumb drive in a certain way, etc.)

Worse comes to worst, they will exchange it for you.

If they give you a solution, please post it back here for us! :) 



Will do. Thanks for the information
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 10:56:08 PM

Apparently the issue was the voltage coming thru the power supply. Thanks for the assistance.
m
0
l
!