Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Two Choices of GPUs

Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2012 3:39:19 PM

I'm getting a temporary card until we get a clearer picture between Nvidia and ATI high end cards pan out. I'm new at gaming and was wondering which of these two cards would you choose:

XFX 6770 or GTX 550Ti. I want to purchases a temporary GPU under $150. I want to play Fallout New Vegas: Ultimate and Morrowind.

More about : choices gpus

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 14, 2012 5:33:06 PM

sadams04 said:
HD 6870 => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You should be able to sell the HD 6870 when you get a more clear picture of which high end card you want to buy. There will be plenty of folks out there looking to CF their HD 6870...

Should it be clear now? Nvidia has yet to answer the HD 7970 right? Another concern is when Nvidia comes out with their answer, wouldn't HD 7970 price drop?

Thanks for the advice of a 6870; no reason to entirely waste money :)  But at Newegg, there are 400+ (4/5 stars) reviews for this particular Sapphire HD 6750 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...; should that concern me over your advice?
February 14, 2012 5:44:29 PM

If you are going for a temporary GPU, I would take one of the following approaches:
1. If your motherboard has a single PCIE slot, get a HD6670. It is the least expensive option, but can play those games, with decent settings (i.e. at least medium).
2, If your mobo has two or more PCIE slots, AND you want PhysX for any of your games, get something like a GTS450 now. You'll be able to play your games now, but should you choose a high-end nVidia card later (or feel like playing driver games if you get an AMD card), you'll be able to offload the PhysX processing onto this card later, while using the new one for your display.

Edit: If you get a HD6670, make sure it has GDDR5, not DDR3.
February 14, 2012 5:52:00 PM

Onus said:
If you are going for a temporary GPU, I would take one of the following approaches:
1. If your motherboard has a single PCIE slot, get a HD6670. It is the least expensive option, but can play those games, with decent settings (i.e. at least medium).
2, If your mobo has two or more PCIE slots, AND you want PhysX for any of your games, get something like a GTS450 now. You'll be able to play your games now, but should you choose a high-end nVidia card later (or feel like playing driver games if you get an AMD card), you'll be able to offload the PhysX processing onto this card later, while using the new one for your display.

I haven't purchased a mobo yet and am confused with your advice; I was considering about getting a Asus P8Z68 PRO/GEN3. My budget is $200 for a mobo; do you have any other recommendations? A lot of people say Asrock, but then people say Asus and Gigabyte are the top brand names.
February 14, 2012 5:54:30 PM

^+1 jtt283
I agree

Best solution

February 14, 2012 7:18:28 PM

For under $150 you can't do better than a 6850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You should wait though, the Radeon 7770 and 7750 will be released soon and we'll see how that changes things.
February 14, 2012 8:05:25 PM

megamanx00 said:
For under $150 you can't do better than a 6850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You should wait though, the Radeon 7770 and 7750 will be released soon and we'll see how that changes things.

Good idea. Some source on the Internet says it will be released tomorrow. Is $150 GPU considered a mid-rage card or low-end? With HD 7970 ($559) considered high-end, I think it must be super super high end considering the difference in prices between the two cards.
February 14, 2012 8:52:48 PM

Also consider buying a used card from the regular sources: friends/craigslist/ebay etc.
I wouldn't buy either of the cards you listed. You could probably get a GTX260 for about US$50.00 would be as good as the the cards you listed for a fraction of the price.
February 14, 2012 9:04:23 PM

If buying a card for long term, < $200 to my mind the 6870 is the best choice based upon cost per frame .... at just over $200, the 900Mhz 560 Ti is the clear winner.

But, since ya just thinking temporary, the question of SLI / CF should come into play.

However, is talking 550 / 6670, I'd definite;y pick the 550 Ti if for no other reason that it can serve a 2nd life as a PhysX card when ya decide what ya want in June. The 7950 and 7970 are too expensive on a cost per frame basis and neither can get near to competing with twin 560 Ti's a cost per frame basis.....then again neither can the 570 and 580.

I think the biggest share of the market is going to go to nVidia's replacement for the 560 Ti and whatever AMD comes out with next in the cost segment below the 7950.
February 14, 2012 10:00:00 PM

Crossfire or SLI for two lesser cards seems a lot more likely to me to introduce the microstuttering problem. I'd rather treat this card as either a throwaway later, or as an add-on (for additional, non-gaming monitors, or for PhysX, if desired).
Especially in the former case, check benchmarks for performance at the lowest settings you are willing to tolerate, given that your tolerance need only be temporary. Morrowind was a killer in its day, but not by modern standards. Even a DDR3 version of the HD6670 should be able to handle it pretty well.
February 14, 2012 11:36:14 PM

You could put a PhysX card in the x4 slot of a x16/x4 mobo too, BUT, I agree with malmental that few games use it. I only cited PhysX as a consideration IF it is relevant to the OP; it probably isn't. That would be good, because budget AMD cards blow the doors off of budget nVidia cards.
February 15, 2012 1:56:06 AM

Best answer selected by Alyus.
!