Replaced Processor, and now I get no monitor display/black screen

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I have a Intel® Desktop Board DQ965CO motherboard. Had a Core 2 Duo E6420 Processor, just got ahold of a Core 2 Duo E6700, the maximum supported processor for this motherboard. The motherboard is fully updated so I cannot get any more Bios updates.

Ok so I took out the old processor, applied thermal paste to the new one, put it in the socket, put the heatsink back on it and tightened all 4 screws. As soon as I turned it back on, the whole computer started up (all fans, lights, HDD's, and the Processor heatsink got semi-warm so I know it was working too.), But it wouldn't send a signal to my monitor, and the USB was apparently not working as the keyboard did not light up.

Now, I moved the tower onto its side, removed the heatsink, and turned the computer on... It started up normally, sent signal to monitor, but I quickly turned it off as I know the temp would rise fast and saw it hitting 80+ celsius in the bios.

Ok so then, still leaving the tower on its side, I dropped the heatsink on it, and slid it into place correctly. The computer still worked totally fine.
I shut it down, SLIGHTLY tightened a screw or two, turned it back on, and it was back to what it was doing before. No display.

Eventually I managed to slightly tighten two screws and I got it to turn on, but as soon as I slowly tilted the tower rightside up again, the computer simply locked up.

So basically, the computer will only function if I leave the heatsink just sitting on top of the processor, sideways, with the case open.

The heatsink is encased in a plastic sleeve that's like an exhaust port that connects to the front of the tower, the fan sits sideways and blows air through the exhaust, rather than sitting directly on top of the heatsink. It's kind of like a sideways heatsink setup. The screws are threaded through the plastic, and never make contact with the heatsink itself. It is in a MPC Client Pro 385 tower, and this exhaust heatsink system is custom for this tower. When I did get the processor to work, it was idling around 35 degrees.

ANY IDEAS?

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I tried reseating the processor twice.

When I originally pulled off the heat sink the first time, it didn't even have any resistance and it just pulled right off.

Second time I removed it, still no resistance, third time there was resistance and I pulled it off.

Bleckworthy

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Alright I'll check that out.

Still wondering though why it still works totally fine as long as the heatsink isn't screwed down onto it.

When I did get it working however, it wasn't performing all that well, looks like it keeps underclocking to 1.6 Ghz (even though I turned off Intel SpeedStep), causing Game frame rates to plummet to below 5.

Checking those pins now...

Bleckworthy

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Alright I just managed to get the computer working, tighten all the screws, plug everything back in place, and it still hasn't locked up. Now I'm going to tilt the tower rightside up...

Edit: By the way, there weren't any bent pins as far as I could see. The pins are like microsized on the motherboard anyways but I didn't see any problems, and lightly ran my finger along them to see if anything was knocked loose.

EDIT: Tilted rightside up and it's still working, looks like we got it? One more problem though, the card seems to still be underclocking itself whenever I try to play a game. It makes games almost unplayable, making my old 2.13 ghz cpu run better than this one. Any idea why it's doing this? I turned off intel speedstep.

Bleckworthy

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Ok I reset BIOS to default settings. Now when I go to boot Windows 7, it brings up the Loading Windows Screen with the animated splash logo, then it locks up for a second, BSOD's for half a second, and restarts all over again.

This is one nightmare of problems, any ideas?

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Alright I just reinstalled Windows, and now the computer is reading the processor correctly and it's working to its true potential like it was supposed to originally.

Apparently I had to reinstall my OS and reset bios settings for the computer to read the processor correctly.
I even had a Windows 8 Consumer Preview OS Dual boot on it, and that instantly crashed too.

Solved I suppose.