2700k OC vs 3930k OC (worth the upgrade?)

So right now I have a 2700k OCing at around 4.5ghz with temps no higher than 70c on load with 1.28 volts. I'm using a Noctua NH-D14 for cooling on a Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 (not Pro). I had bought the CPU for around $130, and the motherboard for around $210 no more than half a year ago.

Intel is having their RetailEdge deals again this year, only this time you get a sweet 3930k for about $184. The thing is, I JUST upgraded to a Z68 platform. So I'm wondering if the gains from a Z77 3930k platform will be significant enough to drop around $440 on an Ivy Bridge mobo/CPU build.

Now a quick price match on Amazon tells me that the 3930k normally goes for $560. So I'd be passing up on a HUGE deal. But I've been checking around, and I'm not so sure that the 3930k is worth the upgrade. Should I bite the bullet and drop my Z68 build for the 3930k? Or should I just save my money?

I use my computer mostly for gaming (high profile games and emulation) and editing (rarely).
5 answers Last reply
More about 2700k 3930k worth upgrade
  1. For gaming , definitely not worth the upgrade. You may want to consider getting the cpu just for the resale profit.
  2. hello it most likely is not worth it for you unless you do heavy video encoding and such but for me it sure as heck is (i'm on a core 2 duo) how does one get a 3930k for under 200?
  3. popatim said:
    For gaming , definitely not worth the upgrade. You may want to consider getting the cpu just for the resale profit.
    I was thinking about this.

Are they in high demand right now?
  4. the 3930k is just the same as the 2700k but has 6 cores instead of 4, in other words the architecture is the same, so you wont notice much of a difference.
  5. X-Legend said:
    So right now I have a 2700k OCing at around 4.5ghz with temps no higher than 70c on load with 1.28 volts. I'm using a Noctua NH-D14 for cooling on a Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 (not Pro). I had bought the CPU for around $130, and the motherboard for around $210 no more than half a year ago.

Intel is having their RetailEdge deals again this year, only this time you get a sweet 3930k for about $184. The thing is, I JUST upgraded to a Z68 platform. So I'm wondering if the gains from a Z77 3930k platform will be significant enough to drop around $440 on an Ivy Bridge mobo/CPU build.

Now a quick price match on Amazon tells me that the 3930k normally goes for $560. So I'd be passing up on a HUGE deal. But I've been checking around, and I'm not so sure that the 3930k is worth the upgrade. Should I bite the bullet and drop my Z68 build for the 3930k? Or should I just save my money?

I use my computer mostly for gaming (high profile games and emulation) and editing (rarely).

The 3930K doesnt run of the z77 platform and isnt a Ivy Bridge CPU but a Sandy-bridge E CPU. Its 6 cores but in most games you wont see much of an improvement. The 2700k is a great cpu and many can only dream for it, but getting a whole new system just because the cpu is cheap isnt really that cheap in the end, looking at the small gaming gains.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs