PC Startup problem

Moraso

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Hi there i have problems with my pc lately he doesn't post nor does he display anything on the screen it happend on 4 different mobo's, 3 of them are dead now for a unknown reason, i bought a new psu of 600 watt but the problem keeps occuring. So does the the gpu who also works in my other pc. So what could cause it? I just got my 3th mobo then the next day this problem started and previous test with other mobo's resulted failure and death wich is really weird, it also killed one old gpu and one HDD.

System specs:
Asus radeon EAH6670 GPU
AMD FX-4100 CPU
Gigabyte 990FXA-D3(Currently) & ASROCK 990FX mobo's
Seagate 360gb HDD
2Gb kingston ram stick DDR3 1333
Corsair CX600 builder psu

Please help me, since this is very frustrating
Thank you!

quicksand10

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Was your old PSU (and is your new PSU) plugged into a surge protector? That's about all I got. In Canada it's not a problem, but elsewhere the electricity can have major surges and fry most electronics that aren't protected.

I would reset the CMOS (remove the little coin-like battery for about 5 minutes) then put it back in and try to boot. This will reset your BIOS to default settings (and thus reset your overclocking settings).

Post back here when you've tried this

Moraso

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Yes it did, everything worked. Except no display and possible overheating the arctic silver cooling paste burned away in seconds spreading all over the cpu

Moraso

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
No the 4th mobo i got today and the 3th last week who died i could not reset the bios since i could not even boot

Moraso

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
The cpu overheats for some reason on 4 different mobo's while my pc doesn't post or display anything and my cool paste arctic silver burns away in seconde after boot wich causes to spread the coolpaste all over the cpu

quicksand10

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
^+1

I don't know how you know the thermal paste spreads over the CPU that quickly... Do you have a heatsink OVER the CPU and thermal paste?

It's like a sandwich:

Top: -Heatsink+Fan
Middle: -Thermal Paste (Arctic Silver)
Bottom: -CPU

Moraso

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

here is my mobo nothing special....

and here is my cpu.. see. it are not burn marks but that patch of cool paste melted away and spread all over the cpu

hmm if it is a unclear photo just tell me.

quicksand10

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Okay, take some rubbing alcohol or acetone and rub off the thermal paste from the CPU. Take a picture of the CPU after (with more light if possible :p).

Put a pea sized amount of thermal paste, like this:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=3
on the bottom of your heatsink (you said the bottom was round) then install it.

Reset the CMOS like I explained before, then boot the PC and see what happens.
(BTW: Arctic silver needs some time and heat/cold fluctuations to set and to be fully effective: do not fret about it moving)

If it still doesn't work, you need a new cpu...
It seems to consistently be the only common part.

Moraso

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

i think its dead i made a bios reset and reapplied thermal paste the size of a pea like on that website but the same results.