Unsure of where to put cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

dercdell1

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hello,
Some of you may have seen my previous posts about a new build I am working on. I just had a few questions about the various connection types

Parts to be discussed:
-Asus P8Z68 Pro Gen3
-Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
-Corsair TX750w Enthusiast v2

Here are a number of questions I have

To begin, I was wondering if the power led connectors should be attached -/- and +/+ or +/-.

I'm also not sure what to do with the 10 pin connector that says AC 97 on it.

Is there a difference between the various usb 2.0 connections on the mobo? (i.e. usb 910) Can I put the case connections in any slot?

For the acse fans, there are 2 molex connectors. I heard that attaching them to the motherboard increases the mobos fail rate so I am attaching them directly to the psu. Do I need to atatch bothe molexs or just one?

I'm also not sure where to attach the sound connections on the case?

I'm sorry this is so ranting. Thank you again!

Solution
I would recommend brushing through your motherboards user manual for answers to your questions. The manuals are usually long and convoluted, but contain much of the information you'll need in terms of what goes where.

You'll need to reference that manual to find what pin is + or - for your power led connectors, though afaik hooking them backwards will just not turn them on, as opposed to damaging anything (you're not exactly drawing a lot of power for one little LED)

The AC97 connector is another variant of your HD Audio connector (they're usually daisy chained on the same cable). Most motherboard's support either, and there will be a pin-out somewhere on the board that says either HD Audio or AC97 on it.

USB 2.0 pin-outs are usually...

AMutedScream

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I would recommend brushing through your motherboards user manual for answers to your questions. The manuals are usually long and convoluted, but contain much of the information you'll need in terms of what goes where.

You'll need to reference that manual to find what pin is + or - for your power led connectors, though afaik hooking them backwards will just not turn them on, as opposed to damaging anything (you're not exactly drawing a lot of power for one little LED)

The AC97 connector is another variant of your HD Audio connector (they're usually daisy chained on the same cable). Most motherboard's support either, and there will be a pin-out somewhere on the board that says either HD Audio or AC97 on it.

USB 2.0 pin-outs are usually the same. The only difference I know is some motherboards support one or more of the pin-outs having constant power output, so you can charge USB devices while the computer is off.

Attaching case fans to the motherboard will not increase the fail rate of the motherboard, providing you hook up fans that run less than the supplied voltage (which is like 99% of the fans out there). What attaching the 3 or 4 pin connector from the fan will do is allow the mobo to monitor (and sometimes adjust) the fan's RPM, depending on the heat levels the mobo detects. Attaching them to molex will cause the fans to run at 100% at all times, which will give you the most cooling, but at the cost of high noise.

Solution
Section four here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-posting-buyer-guides-troubleshooting

as mentioned, check your manuals for pinout placements etc but that guide should help you too, and section three if you hit any problems :)
**Fan question, if you meant both molex's on a single fan no, only one goes to the psu, the other is a pass-through plug that allows you to connect further fans/drives etc, only connect that to the next device in line, or leave unused, dont try plugging it into the mobo or psu, if you meant that each fan has its own molex then yes, both will need to be plugged in to function
Moto

Status
Not open for further replies.