Sign in with
Your question

NVidia Gainward Geforce 2 MX-200 AGP Card Installation Trouble

Last response: in Components
June 1, 2012 3:39:22 AM

I am sorry if I seem ignorant to computer science and such, but I want to hook an extra monitor up to my PC and I need to get another HDMI port. I was looking through an old computer and found a nVidia Geforce 2 Gainward MX-200 AGP card.

However, the trouble that I have is whether my motherboard is capable of installing it (my motherboard is a IPIBL-LA (Berkeley)), and whether it won't work or not.

My old computer's license I was told was taken down by Microsoft. I don't know about this, but also it had a huge load of viruses which I don't know have damaged the part or not.

My Motherboard Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

My computer build: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3548...
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 3:45:37 AM

There's no AGP slot on that motherboard, only 1 PCIe x16 slot (and 2 PCIe x1 and 1 PCI, but you probably can't find a card for those slots. They exist for PCI, but are relatively rare now). You'll need to find a PCIe x16 graphics card (a cheap one will do for your purpose).
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2012 3:51:26 AM

Thanks for the help! Saved me a lot of time.
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 3:54:11 AM

No problem. :)  And look at the card I posted in the edit above, if you haven't. I posted one that wouldn't work before it (low profile only).
m
l
June 1, 2012 4:13:21 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
No problem. :)  And look at the card I posted in the edit above, if you haven't. I posted one that wouldn't work before it (low profile only).

Oh and on my computer it says my copy of windows is not genuine, yet I bought a license 7 years ago and now it's telling me to activate a valid one. This happened after I got ripped off by a small repair shop who took a couple months to stop a virus we had called, "StopZilla." Do you know why my computer is saying that my copy of Windows is not genuine or that it might have to do with them?
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 4:20:55 AM

Not really sure on that one. Windows shouldn't have been invalidated without major hardware changes. Regardless, I think if you called up Microsoft and explained the situation, you might be able to get it reactivated.
m
l
June 1, 2012 4:22:16 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Not really sure on that one. Windows shouldn't have been invalidated without major hardware changes. Regardless, I think if you called up Microsoft and explained the situation, you might be able to get it reactivated.

Thanks again. :) 
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 4:24:30 AM

Triston2014 said:
Thanks again. :) 

You're very welcome! :) 
m
l
!