Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer wont start.

Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2012 6:36:25 PM

I've had this system up and running for about a week now and all of a sudden the Led's to my power supply don't turn on and the whole system wont start.

Motherboard: M4A87TD EVO
Ram: Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Cpu:AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz
Gpu: Xfx Radeon Hd 4870 1 Gb Ddr5
Hdd:Western Digital Caviar Blue500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
Psu:RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W
Case:inwin griffin yellow

More about : computer wont start

a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2012 7:13:42 PM

senpepe said:
I've had this system up and running for about a week now and all of a sudden the Led's to my power supply don't turn on and the whole system wont start.

Motherboard: M4A87TD EVO
Ram: Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Cpu:AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz
Gpu: Xfx Radeon Hd 4870 1 Gb Ddr5
Hdd:Western Digital Caviar Blue500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
Psu:RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W
Case:inwin griffin yellow

The first thing to do is get another psu and try it. If that doesn't do it then perhaps you had a power surge and toasted the mobo. Do you plug into a quality surge supressor?
m
l
February 14, 2012 7:22:38 PM

Its in a surge protector and was running fine last night i turned it off like normal and today it wont start.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2012 7:24:26 PM

530w is plenty of juice...some do go bad. Can you get ahold of another psu to try to at least eliminate it as a possible issue?
m
l
February 14, 2012 7:26:30 PM

Its the only psu i have at the moment normally when my computer is off the Mobo has a red and green LED that will be on but they arent on either.
m
l
February 14, 2012 7:41:18 PM

is there any other way i can tell if it was the mobo or psu

there is a few reviews on new egg that says the psu dies after working for a while ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-152-... )

I am hoping its not the mobo the onlything that might of done it is i turned the surge protector off and on to restart my router but the computer had been off for well over two hours at that time.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2012 7:46:58 PM

If you are using a multi plug in cord to plug your system into check to see if it needs reset. Simple i know but hey worth a shot lol
m
l
February 14, 2012 7:48:15 PM

zolton33 said:
If you are using a multi plug in cord to plug your system into check to see if it needs reset. Simple i know but hey worth a shot lol

Once my new system wouldnt run i got my old computer out of the closet its in the same surge protector so i don't think thats the problem.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2012 7:50:06 PM

Either your PSU or your motherboard is dead. My money's on the PSU, since they're much more prone to failure. Don't even need a surge to kill them, they just kind of die sometimes. My rig is very similar to yours, and I've blown multiple PSUs. I don't buy any PSU cheaper than $60 anymore, they just don't last.

Lucky for you, there's a very easy way to test to see if your PSU is totally dead or not.

*Disclaimer*

I am not responsible if you do something stupid and electrocute yourself. If you follow my instructions, you will be fine. Don't go jabbing paperclips into any of the other pins, though.

*/Disclaimer*

First, go find a paperclip and straighten it out. Needs to have bare metal exposed. If it's coated in rubber, use some sandpaper or a knife to expose both ends.

Next, unplug the 20/24 pin connector from your motherboard. You probably want to unplug everything from the PSU to be safe.

Here comes the fun part. Look at that 20/24 pin connector. You'll see exactly one green wire, with a black wire on either side of it. Take your paperclip and insert one end into the pin for the green wire, and the other end into one of the black wires (doesn't matter which).

If your PSU works, it will turn on. If it's dead, it will just sit there like a brick.
February 14, 2012 7:50:16 PM

senpepe said:
is there any other way i can tell if it was the mobo or psu

You can buy a cheap PSU tester which can tell you if the PSU is good or not.

One of my rigs also had a power issue where if it wouldn't boot, i had to physically remove and re-set the ram modules before it would power up. I never figured out why, but i suspect it was a mobo firmware bug that set some sort of self protect feature.

Anyhow, you can try that to see if it helps at all too, But if i recall the LED's would at least come on, just the Bios / Post would never run.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2012 8:14:35 PM

Take the box with everything in it to a local pc repair shop and ask them to test the psu.
m
l
February 14, 2012 9:13:00 PM

My computer did randomly reboot itself a couple of times the day before it stoped powering up does that mean anything?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2012 9:16:06 PM

senpepe said:
My computer did randomly reboot itself a couple of times the day before it stoped powering up does that mean anything?

Doesn't really help. Could be any of the items failing. Power drop, ram hitting a bad spot, a video card going out...may be time to get some local help.
m
l
February 15, 2012 12:46:29 AM

willard said:
Either your PSU or your motherboard is dead. My money's on the PSU, since they're much more prone to failure. Don't even need a surge to kill them, they just kind of die sometimes. My rig is very similar to yours, and I've blown multiple PSUs. I don't buy any PSU cheaper than $60 anymore, they just don't last.

Lucky for you, there's a very easy way to test to see if your PSU is totally dead or not.

*Disclaimer*

I am not responsible if you do something stupid and electrocute yourself. If you follow my instructions, you will be fine. Don't go jabbing paperclips into any of the other pins, though.

*/Disclaimer*

First, go find a paperclip and straighten it out. Needs to have bare metal exposed. If it's coated in rubber, use some sandpaper or a knife to expose both ends.

Next, unplug the 20/24 pin connector from your motherboard. You probably want to unplug everything from the PSU to be safe.

Here comes the fun part. Look at that 20/24 pin connector. You'll see exactly one green wire, with a black wire on either side of it. Take your paperclip and insert one end into the pin for the green wire, and the other end into one of the black wires (doesn't matter which).

If your PSU works, it will turn on. If it's dead, it will just sit there like a brick.

I did it and got nothing out of the psu thanks now i know its not my mobo
m
l
February 15, 2012 2:04:46 AM

Best answer selected by senpepe.
m
l
!