Cpu overheating after new thermal paste

henry1115

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I had just applied new thermal paste to my cpu and when i turn it on the heatsink fan goes crazy and bios shows that my cpu is at 190 degrees Fahrenheit did i do anything wrong?

i am using artic silver 5
please help :(

You probably used either to much thermal paste or the heatsink is not seated right.

Did you clean both surfaces with recommended cleaner? (Arctic provide two, one to remove old paste and the other to prepare the surface.)Each surface should be mirror clean. Then apply a thin coat of paste to each, spreading it evenly, I use a slice from an old credit card. Make sure the two mating surfaces match perfectly when positioning the heat sink.

InvalidError

Titan

Even very poorly applied but still sufficient paste should still be more than good enough to prevent CPUs from getting anywhere near their thermal limit at boot.

When I switched my 212+ from vertical flow to horizontal, I simply scraped excess paste from my previous installation, put it back in the middle, re-installed and my new temps still ended up 2-3C LOWER than before.

Only way I can imagine paste application performing this badly would be by applying paste in a closed ring pattern to seal air in the middle which would prevent paste from spreading inward to cover the main area of interest.

So my money would be on incorrect HSF installation.

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I just re-did my i7-930 and Hyper 212 Plus today. Before it was running just under 80C at full load... now it's at 60. I cleaned both with 91% isopropyl, applied a clean, thin layer of arctic silver on the CPU with a credit card and ensured the heatsink was carefully, yet firmly tightened. Also ensure to take turns tightening opposing screws... you don't want to tighten down one corner of the heatsink before tightening the others or it won't sit flat on the CPU.

I've seen it form crusty lumps that create such air gaps if left....thus the thorough clean...