klapanaras

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
It is time for me to change my hard drive. After going through the several reviews and tests (including the one of Tom's hardware), I found out that the Quantum and Ibm hard drives are the best ones on market right now with the Quantum one performing better in most of the tests (4 out of 5 I think) carried out. Their price is exactly the same and I could really use some help. The question is: Should I buy the new 40GB Fireball Plus AS Quantum or the half year old DeskStar 75 GXP IBM's 45,6GB???????????

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I still prefer the 75GXPs over the Quantum AS'. Quiet and reliable.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I prefer the quite stuff, so I would pick the quietest one, and when you say "half year old DeskStar" do you mean a used one, or just referring to a design?

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

G

My personal experience - I've had excellent luck with Quantum, IBM, and Seagate drives. I've had tons of failures with Maxtor and Western Digital drives.

I currently run a 13.5GB 7200rpm IBM Desktar and a 40GB 7200rp Quantum AS. Both appear to perform well. To my ear the Quantum appears slightly more noisey, a bit more of a high pitched spin. To my finter the Quantum also appears to get warmer (neither are hot) than the IBM but I can't say for certain.

Both companies have great website support.

Last I knew Quantum had great rebates, I nabbed a 30GB AS for just under $100 shipped from www.buy.com

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have owned a GXP 30 gig and a Quantum AS 30 gig. I notice no real performance difference at all (the Quantum benches slightly better, but it's not noticeable). I also thought the IBM was quieter, but Tom did a review in which he found the Quantum to be quieter. Basically it all comes down to which one you can get cheaper.

Really love your peaches wanna shake your tree.

G

I actually just installed three Quantum Fireball Plus AS 40GB hard drives today and it was a snap. I'm switching over from an older SCSI subsystem and the drives are fast. I'm sure they would be faster if I had something faster then an ATA33 controller but I'm very satisfied. My best friend purchased the 75GXP just a month ago and it's running great, if I had to put my finger on why I purchased the Quantum (besides Tom's test results) it was the $35 rebate on each drive, for up to five drives. This essentially brought the cost of the 40GB drive to $115!

The drives are silent, I can't hear them over the sound of my DSL modem and Network Attached Storage :^D. The only perk for the IBM drive is IBM has tons of cool utils for the drive.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One thing I find interesting about IBM drives is that their marketing seem to be week. Most people know Quantum, Seagate etc but not really IBM HDDs. Most people without benches knowledge on HDDs will not know that IBM perform well. Ask some stranger and they might not know IBM has HDDs. Am I right?

------------------
This site is cool.

G

Taking another look @ toms's latest HD review, I'm suprised you're considering IBM. The other 2 new drives reviewed (Fujitsu, Maxtor) topped the IBM drives in every mark except the high-end disk winmark (where they were very close).

I haven't seen the Fujitsu around much yet, but I got a very good price on two of the 20 GB Maxtors. I haven't installed them yet, so can't give any opinions on noise, temp, etc.

What other reviews did you look at?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

G

one word :]
IBM 60GXP
im gettin a nice 40 gigger =)

Chill and be Chilled :]

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
From where?!?!

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
According to <A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200103/20010329IC35L060AVER07_1.html" target="_new">Storage Review's review</A> there's not much performance improvement of the 60GXP over 75GXP. It beats 75GXP by a mere margin, but, most people would be happy with their current 75GXP and not drooling over the 60...

------------------
This site is cool.

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
I've never used an IBM HDD before but I've had 3 Quantums and have seen Maxtors working.I've got a Quantum AS 20 GB and it's got great performance and it's so quiet I don't even hear it (almost) at even stress tests.It's very cool working too.I really recommend it.(The reason for the quietness is the new Dynamic Fluid Bearing motor used in the new Quantum AS but I've heard only some capacities have this feature.)
The Maxtor Plus 40 GB was as fast I'd say but warmer and definitely produced more noise in every operation it did.

G

BTW: Got my new Maxtors set up this weekend. They're so quiet you can't even hear them, at leat not over the fans (and I have quiet fans). Even on the RAID card, where they are both cranking away simultaneously :)

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

ws6

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just as a FYI Quantum sold all thier hard drive division to Maxtor last week :-(. Today they updated thier page and removed all hdd info from it.

-----------
Chris
ws6@kc.rr.com

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do not know why they did that. Wasn't Quantum doing very well? Or was Maxtor doing too well?

-------------
This site is cool.

randomly

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2001
Do NOT get the Fujitsu's reviewed in THG at this time. The MPG3204AH-E tom reviewed is not on the market yet. I made the mistake of buying 3 MPG3204AH's based on Tom's review only to find to my chagrin that the missing -E on the model number makes for a huge difference in performance. The non-E models are significantly poorer performers than the IBM 75GXP's. There is no mention on the Fujitsu website that there are two different variants of the same drive. Until such time as you can Positively assure yourself that you are getting a -E variant I would not recommend buying the Fujitsu drives as you will probably be buying the non - E variant and getting substandard performance. The drives are very quiet however.

G

I happen to think that Maxtor has awesome drives. Plus the have a great warranty on them too! And Maxtor too has a great tech support and customer service on their website.

G

Yes Maxtor and Quantum have mergered. Technically Maxtor doesn't start taking over for the tech support and customer service until the beginning of May. So yes they are technically the same company! But they both have great drives. But Quantum is known more for their SCSI drives!