GSM Base Station Frame timing offset

Do nearby base station cells in a GSM network have exactly the same
frame timing or do they offset their frame times from one another?

Also do different sectors in the same base station cell offset their
frame timing from one another?

I assume that a mobile may handoff frome one sector to another sector
in the same base station cell. Is this correct?

Could you point me to a reference?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about base station frame timing offset

    master@intelligencia.com wrote in news:1111505985.259305.202850
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > Do nearby base station cells in a GSM network have exactly the same
    > frame timing or do they offset their frame times from one another?

    Thay *can* but this is not compulsory. Is is although recomended to
    implement the forthcoming interference cancellation algorithms.

    > Also do different sectors in the same base station cell offset their
    > frame timing from one another?

    No, in that case they're all synchronised, thanks to the base station's
    master clock.

    > I assume that a mobile may handoff frome one sector to another sector
    > in the same base station cell. Is this correct?

    This is correct. They even can handoff within one sector (intracell HO).

    http://www.3gamericas.org/PDFs/saic_paper_sept2003.pdf

    > Thanks

    You're welcome.

    --
    Cheers,

    Olivier

    Hmm, the sites not workin' anymore?

    --
    ChaosThyre81

    ChaosThyre81 <ChaosThyre81.1mhq35@news.cellbanter.com> wrote in

    > Hmm, the sites not workin' anymore?

    Unfortunately the white paper section of 3G America's website seems to be
    down.

    None of the links listed on the WP home page
    http://www.3gamericas.org/English/Technology_Center/WhitePapers/index.cfm?
    archive=1 are available. Hope it will soon be fixed.

    Here is a HTML version from Google's cache : http://minilien.com/?7KS5kzHwrA
    Don't trust the figures, their make up is irrelevant (synchronized frames are
    shown... as is they were not always synchronized on the bottom of figure 1).

    --
    Cheers,

    Olivier

GSM Mobile